PDA

View Full Version : DIY Hook and Loop Board/Insert for Backpack?

Drew Bedo
5-Mar-2017, 09:30
Hi, I want to convert a backpack to carry a 4x5 outfit. I have an older model "LowePro Some-Something Trekker" from the 1980s that can hold it all, but I now want to downsize to a generic daypack and use some Photobackpacker boxes I have and maybe some padded dividers too.

I'd like to make a hook and loop board to insert into the back but don't know what to look for at a fabric store or Lowes. What board or stiffener, what fabric, what adhesive, how to fit cut and glue etc . . .

Any one ever done this?

HMG
5-Mar-2017, 11:12
By "hook and loop board" I assume you mean a solid piece that would sit inside the backpack against your back and have hook and loop fasteners to which you attach your boxes and dividers.

Most backpacks that I've seen with this type of insert use a somewhat flexible plastic sheet. I think it HDPE, about 1/8 to 3/16" thick.

Graham Patterson
5-Mar-2017, 11:54
I found some self-adhesive hook/loop fastener at the local Hardware store in wide widths. It sticks well, but some staples or a few stitches would add peace of mind.

I'd take a bit of the hook fastener to the fabric store and see what works. What you are looking for is Display loop fabric, I think - Veltex comes to mind. It is the stuff used to cover panels for displays/exhibitions/cubicle dividers. You'd probably only need a yard of it.

I'd start with a cardboard template to work out the backing board shape and the layout of the items before committing to materials,

Drew Bedo
5-Mar-2017, 12:21
Yeah—I want to line the back and sides with Velcro or generic equivalent.

I'd like it to look somewhat better than bits of nappy fabric stuck on and stapled down. If the right materials can be found itmight go out an upholstery shop for fabrication.

Michael Rosenberg
5-Mar-2017, 13:44
I bought 4 and 6 mm coroplast and cut out pieces for the back board, sides, and cross pieces. Turn the pack inside-out to make the measurements. I then got this Velcro compatible padded fabric: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/velcro.html#veltex I used 3M 77 heavy duty spray glue to attach the fabric. It is one of the few glues I have found to bind to the coroplast. I also purchased 4 inch wide hook fabric from Seattle Fabrics to complete placing the sides and cross pieces. I did this for two packs now, a kelty 2900 for my LF gear and a Kelty 2100 for my digital gear I found the padding provided to be adequate to protect my gear. It has really held up over the years.

Mike

Keith Pitman
5-Mar-2017, 17:45
Some fabric stores sell the loop side of hook/loop for use in trade show booths which should probably work for you.

Drew Bedo
5-Mar-2017, 17:54
Mike: Thanks for the specific recommendations. I may be able to get a few yard signs lefdt over from the election.

Anyone else have a way to do this?

Michael Rosenberg
6-Mar-2017, 12:27
Drew,

Home depot and lowes sell 2x4 sheets of 4mm.

Mike

Drew Bedo
7-Mar-2017, 06:41
Thanks Mike . . .good to know.

I will first try to source the coroplast with a friend who is politically active locally . . .Old Yard Signs.

HMG
7-Mar-2017, 07:11
Thanks Mike . . .good to know.

I will first try to source the coroplast with a friend who is politically active locally . . .Old Yard Signs.

Don't forget those outfits that unilaterally decide it's their right to advertise their businesses on public property. When I see them in my neighborhood I collect and toss them.

Michael Dodd
7-Mar-2017, 11:57
Please let us know how this turns out I.I would like to see some pictures if it works.

William Whitaker
7-Mar-2017, 12:12
Several years ago (6...10??) I purchased a couple of yards of hook and loop material (the loop side) from McMaster-Carr. I do not see it in their online catalog now, but if I were looking for such, I'd give them a call and see if they have it/can still get it.

Michael Rosenberg
7-Mar-2017, 14:28
Drew,

If you use recycle signs make sure that you wipe them,down with isopropyl alcohol or the fabric may not stick. Here is a picture of my Kelty 2100 pack that I carry my digital gear in. It is similar to my Kelty 2900 for LF gear. If you try the industrial velcro from a hardware store note that it does not always stick: in the end I think it did not work as well and cost more than buying the fabric.

Mike162301

Photobackpacker
9-Mar-2017, 07:43
To make the backerboards, I used 4mm corrugated plastic sheets available at sign shops. The loop material I used was known as sign cloth. If you are interested, I still have some of this sign cloth material in stock (no backerboards, however.) A 36 x 60 sheet for $10.00 (includes shipping)

Bruce

Drew Bedo
9-Mar-2017, 07:53
Hello Bruce,

Olease check your PMs

Drew Bedo
14-Mar-2017, 06:19
Package arrived. Thanks!

Photobackpacker
21-Mar-2017, 11:28
Package arrived. Thanks!

An easy way to make these is to sew the material inside out to fit the board. Reverse and slide the coroplast inside the envelope. You will need to sew several lines of stiching on either side of the centerline to keep the material from pulling away from the board when the cases with lenses are attached.

Bruce

Drew Bedo
21-Mar-2017, 13:30
Well I was hoping to just glue it down . . .that a no-go?