PDA

View Full Version : shutter for extra large lens

Robert Musgjerd
9-Jun-2005, 16:23
I have a kodak 405 portrait lens I need to shutter up.It looks like a packard is the way to go.The lens is on a 6 inch
board.Is there anyone out there with any experience in shuttering up one of these babies ? Thanks

Donald Brewster
9-Jun-2005, 16:42
I think you are limited to a packard shutter on this big boy.

Ernest Purdum
9-Jun-2005, 17:43
There are a few possible alternatives. Most of them are from either big process cameras or some scientific apparatus and most of them operate electrically. This is not necessarilly bad for a portrailt lens, if it will be used entirely in the studio.

Both Copal and Prontor made several shutters of this type. My recollection is that Copal versions are called "DS" and Prontor just says "Magnetic". Both of these and some other types show up on eBay occasionally.

wfwhitaker
9-Jun-2005, 18:10
A Packard shutter which will fit on your lens board and still allow you to mount the lens board on your camera is not going to have a large enough opening to allow use of the full aperture of the lens. A Packard with a 3 1/2" opening (which may still be too small for this lens - I don't have mine handy) is 6 1/2" square. If there is room to mount the shutter inside the front standard, it can be attached to the front of the lens. Not as pleasing aesthetically, but it works.

Tracy Storer
9-Jun-2005, 18:23
Hey Robert,
I have a front mounted Packard on my 405.....it works very well. It's an 8" shutter with 4.5" opening if I remember correctly.
If you want, I'll shoot a digi-photo of it and post it somewhere for reference.

wfwhitaker
9-Jun-2005, 20:11
...and it's b e a u t i f u l.....

:-)

domenico Foschi
10-Jun-2005, 09:37
I have been using successfully a Speed Graphic shutter mounted to one of the lensboards for my 8 x 10.
If you are willing to go through the all thing , is a fine solution to your problem.
I am using a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 , but i am thinking to work on a 4 x 5 .
It becomes quite a heavy and bulky set up, but is functional.