PDA

View Full Version : Backpack question for 4x5

hazardsg
1-Mar-2017, 13:30
I'm outgrowing my generic photo backpack that I've been using for 4x5. I'm looking to "upgrade" to something a little bit better. My original plan was to pick up a used Lowepro Photo Trekker AW I or II. I recently found padded camera inserts on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017XCYUIK/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=). I think two of them would fit into my Kelty Redwing Bag. Any opinions on what option would be better? I'll be using it for day hikes at local state parks. Current gear includes: Toyo 45A, Fuji 90mm f/8, Fuji 150mm f/6.3, Fuji 210mm f/5.6. I plan on adding a Fuji 400T f/8 down the line. I also will carry a Minolta incident, Pentax spot meter, film holders, filters, etc.)

Thank you for any insight.

Steven

faberryman
1-Mar-2017, 13:56
I recently purchased an Fstop Anja for my Technikardan and 90/150/210 setup and couldn't be happier. Your Toyo 45A is a bit smaller than the Technikardan so there should be enough extra room for the 400T.

locutus
1-Mar-2017, 14:27
I checked a Lowepro ProTactic 450 in the store last weekend to see if it would fit a 5x4 and it seems like a decent backpack for it. Would be curious if anyone uses it for that.

stawastawa
1-Mar-2017, 15:41
The Anja Bags look nice.

I personally have been happy with my kelty redwing. for tachihara 4x5 + a 35mm kit. one thing with the kelty is no reinforced bottom, so either throw a towel or a foam pad or something on the bottom to prevent damadge when you put the bag down. I also still wish I had had a zipper conversion done so the front of the bag would unzip all the way, but it's not a big deal .

Paul Cunningham
1-Mar-2017, 17:18
This is destined to become my favorite thread. Last time out I jammed my Ebony 45SU and 4 more lenses into a LowePro ProRunner 350 AW. It didn't leave much room for film holders.
I've been looking at MindShift Gear FirstLight 40L, but I didn't know about the Anja.

I recently purchased an Fstop Anja for my Technikardan and 90/150/210 setup and couldn't be happier. Your Toyo 45A is a bit smaller than the Technikardan so there should be enough extra room for the 400T.

If you get the nasturtium color, I'll bet it will light the trail at night.

faberryman
1-Mar-2017, 17:27
I went with the Red Bull edition - grey with red accents.

Greg
1-Mar-2017, 17:28
Probably something like 7 years ago bought a LowePro Slingshot bag. Used it professionally for maybe 3 or 4 years. A main zipper broke on it so I called LowePro to see how I could get it repaired. Was asked for the manufacturing info on a tag on the bag. Was told no need to send the bag back to them for repair. I should be getting a new bag to replace mine in the mail in a week or so. Now that's a company that stands behind their product.

Corran
1-Mar-2017, 18:14
A couple of months ago I bought a Lowepro Tactic 450AW. This is a newer model, and of course "optimized" for digital cameras. However, I've found it to be really great for 4x5 and related accessories.

With the removal of just a couple of dividers, a folding field cam and plenty of film holders fits in the bottom, with lots of room for lenses and also some extra, smaller-format cameras. This bag has a laptop area which I use for a Quickload holder and a dozen or so color film envelopes. Filters and other stuff also can go in the zippered areas on the lid.

The side panels open up and you can grab lenses, film, or other stuff there. The top also opens and again, you can put whatever you want in there to be readily accessible.

Highly recommended - this is my daily-carry bag now. Big enough for everything I want to bring but not humongous like the bigger Tamrac bag I have. Plus, something that really sold me, is that there isn't 10 different straps and connectors hanging off the dang thing. My big Tamrac has all kinds of junk hanging off it and it's really annoying. Plus I have hit others while walking with swinging straps and stuff which I don't like.

Here's a pick of it loaded up:

http://www.garrisaudiovisual.com/photosharing/bp2202ss.jpg

David Karp
1-Mar-2017, 23:47
I'm outgrowing my generic photo backpack that I've been using for 4x5. I'm looking to "upgrade" to something a little bit better. My original plan was to pick up a used Lowepro Photo Trekker AW I or II. I recently found padded camera inserts on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017XCYUIK/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=). I think two of them would fit into my Kelty Redwing Bag. Any opinions on what option would be better? I'll be using it for day hikes at local state parks. Current gear includes: Toyo 45A, Fuji 90mm f/8, Fuji 150mm f/6.3, Fuji 210mm f/5.6. I plan on adding a Fuji 400T f/8 down the line. I also will carry a Minolta incident, Pentax spot meter, film holders, filters, etc.)

Thank you for any insight.

Steven

I cobbled something together out of foam to use in my Redwing, but recently purchased an insert on eBay that is larger (16.5x12x8 - roughly) than the one you linked to. It slides into my Redwing and leaves a bit of room at the top. I have not used it for LF equipment, but it works great with my Bronica SQ-A or Mamiya 645. I have one of each camera, multiple lenses, film backs, filters, lens hoods, and my spot meter. The seller is a-mode2011. Here is a link that works for now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261809245564?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. You can adjust the dividers.

locutus
1-Mar-2017, 23:48
Thanks a lot for that post! It convinced me to go buy one today :-D

stawastawa
2-Mar-2017, 14:16
Wow david there are lots of those inserts available! One thing I like about that vs having a lowe pro, like Bryan is using, is you can put it in a backpack and the backpack still looks like a regular trail bag, and not like an expensive camera system.

David Karp
2-Mar-2017, 15:41
Except for the Photobackpacker products, the Redwings and similar packs are much better packs, with better suspensions than most photo backpacks. Photobackpacker made an even nicer DSLR insert, but I am happy with the insert I linked to above. There is still more room in the Redwing, which could have been for more photo equipment, but the insert I bought holds everything I need. There is room in the top of the pack for a sweatshirt, lunch, or something else. It is good that is is separated from the photo gear.

Barry Wilkinson
3-Mar-2017, 02:54
I am very pleased with the Mindshift Firstlight 40L...

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/firstlight-40l

... light and big enough for my 4x5 kit.

Barry

Paul Cunningham
3-Mar-2017, 05:22
I am very pleased with the Mindshift Firstlight 40L...

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/firstlight-40l

... light and big enough for my 4x5 kit.

Barry

Barry, would you mind sharing a snapshot of your packing strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Bedo
3-Mar-2017, 10:28
Probably something like 7 years ago bought a LowePro Slingshot bag. Used it professionally for maybe 3 or 4 years. A main zipper broke on it so I called LowePro to see how I could get it repaired. Was asked for the manufacturing info on a tag on the bag. Was told no need to send the bag back to them for repair. I should be getting a new bag to replace mine in the mail in a week or so. Now that's a company that stands behind their product.

Had a nearly identicle experience with a similar model LowPro sling bag. I bought it used at a camera store knowing the zipper to a small pocket was broken. In all innocence, I brought it to a local independent outdoor sports store (like REI) asking aboutgetting the zipper fixed. They took the bag and my contact info and said they would call me. I expected that they had some zipper-wizard who would magic it back together. A week later they called to say . ."Your bag is ready." and I went in. To my surprise, there was a completely new bag in factory packaging!

Turns out they carry LowePro bags and packs and so called it in as a warrantee issue. Who knew?

David Schaller
3-Mar-2017, 11:50
I use the best backpack I can find, which has been the Dana Designs Bomb pack. It's a top loader, so I have a bunch of smaller cases for camera, lenses and film holders. Theoretically it takes more time to unload and reload, but I can hike further in greater comfort than I could using a specialized photo pack. You can buy excellent large day packs for less than half the money of the photo packs, and have the benefit of better internal frames and waist belts and so on.

Greg
3-Mar-2017, 13:07
I use the best backpack I can find, which has been the Dana Designs Bomb pack. It's a top loader, so I have a bunch of smaller cases for camera, lenses and film holders. Theoretically it takes more time to unload and reload, but I can hike further in greater comfort than I could using a specialized photo pack. You can buy excellent large day packs for less than half the money of the photo packs, and have the benefit of better internal frames and waist belts and so on.

I have and use a circa 1988 Dana Design Direct. Holds 4400 cu. in. and even when it's filled to the max, is the most comfortable backpack I have every owned and used. Unfortunately my 8x10 will not fit inside the Dana. The best camera cases ever made were ones from Camera Care Systems in England... think they stopped making Pro cases in the late 1990s. Back then used several of their cases to carry camera equipment with me when rock climbing. One time was packing up after rock climbing and accidentally left behind my SLR in one of their cases on the ground. Heavy downpour of rain all through the night. Was able to hike back to find and retrieve the camera the next day. Inside of case and camera were totally dry.

Chester McCheeserton
3-Mar-2017, 14:09
The guy who started Dana Design now has a company called "Mystery Ranch". I picked up their model called 'Scree' last year and use it with inserts from amazon and fish pond for my 5x7, lenses, and holders and have been very happy that set up.

esearing
5-Mar-2017, 06:35
Orvis has a nice sized back pack, Safe Passage Angler's Daypack. With some inserts or using soft cases for camera, a reel case for lenses, and soft lunch box for holders you could put a bunch of stuff in there. I like the way it opens up fully rather than having to reach in from top. The hip/back support and shoulders are comfortable. If like me you like fly fishing too, your rod has a slot and you can add the chest pack that snaps in to the main pack to keep wet stuff away from the camera gear.

Drew Bedo
5-Mar-2017, 08:23
Was looking at backp;acks in general and ranacross several that while they are "tactical" could be adapted for photography.

OK . . .so they are built for (gasp!) GUNS for Pet's sake. Let's look beyond that folr a moment.

http://www.elitesurvival.com/concealment-bags-packs/stealth-covert-operations-rifle-backpack/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDREsLirGyw

There are others of course. What drew my attention is that they have built in hook and loop interiors that will take regular dividers from a photo bag. Another feature is that they both open fullyh for complete access. They are designed to be rugged and ergonomic . . .and blend in with any other book-bag/day pack on a metro bus or airliner.

In the end, I bought a vintage Eddy Bauer daypack on e-Bay.

Drew Bedo
5-Mar-2017, 09:17
I guess the real issue is a serious technical backpack system that will accommodate large format photography gear and carry well over distances in the back country. . .like the photobackpacker line did.

I am looking at making a hook and loop board to fit that little Eddie Bauer dayh pack I bought (for <$40) instead of one of those (expensive for me) boarderline-butch tactical bags linked in the last post.

Leigh
5-Mar-2017, 15:48
I use the f.64 BPX pack for my 4x5 cameras. It's huge, with room enough for a dozen lenses and numerous accessories:
It's available here:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=bpx&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&typedValue=&Top+Nav-Search=

I believe there's a smaller BP version that will also handle a 4x5 camera.

- Leigh

stawastawa
5-Mar-2017, 16:43
And how far do you travel with such a rig Leigh?

Greg
5-Mar-2017, 16:50
Finally decided on using a ThinkTank camera backpack. Older model, Airport Antidote I think. WA bellows below the Chamonix. Film holders in outside front pocket. Piece of foam and spotmeter go on top of the 500mm f/7 KOMURA. The ThinkTank rides on my back amazingly well. I use the top and side handles way more than I though I would.

xkaes
5-Mar-2017, 17:50
For day hike or overnights, I've always used a typical metal framed backpack (probably a LOT cheaper than all the stuff mentioned so far). That way I have room for food, water, clothes, tent, sleeping bag and other gear. My camera gear -- from 37mm to 600mm goes in a single large KIWI camera bag on top -- I have three and never paid more than $15 for each.

You might want to check to flange focal length of the Fujinon T 400mm. I have one and my TOKO has enough bellows for its use, but I don't know about your camera.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/

Drew Bedo
5-Mar-2017, 18:05
Xkaes: I'd like to see a picture of that trail rig. With admiration and respect I say: Sounds like you are getting it done out on the trail.

hazardsg
5-Mar-2017, 21:22
I ended up getting two inserts for my kelty redwing. I'll post a few pictures once I get it in. Thanks for the comments and pictures.

pjd
6-Mar-2017, 06:01
I'm a bit late to this thread, but will chip in for reference of future readers - the best camera backpack I've used so far is an F-stop guru. Very good backpack for regular travel too. Surprisingly I can just fit an 8x10 Kodak 2D into it (through the top, with no ICU inside), along with a couple of holders. I'd like to get a larger F-stop pack for longer treks. I did use that backpack on a short glamping trek in Peru. I should also add that unfortunately F-stop reputedly suffer from abysmal customer service and production delays. I was lucky to find my pack second hand.

callmebrick
6-Mar-2017, 08:02
pjd,

Do you have one of their ICU's in your guru?

Martin Aislabie
8-Mar-2017, 12:08
I recently invested in the Lowepro 650 aw pro trekker

Its huge and not too heavy.

It takes an Ebony 45S, 12 film holders, 4 additional lenses, a couple of light meters, aprox 8 filters, plus all the usual bits and bobs, without being a squeeze.

I know there are problems with buying large bags - you tend to fill them up and so become heavy - but its nice to carry - the weight goes on your hips not your shoulders.

I would buy another one, if I needed to do the same again.

Martin

JMO
8-Mar-2017, 13:41
Like Greg, I use a Think Tank backpack, but it is the largest model in their Streetwalker series called the Streetwalker HardDrive (https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/streetwalker-series/products/streetwalker-harddrive) (since it includes a protected slot closest to your back for a laptop or iPad, that I use for keeping my shooting notes and certain other printed documents). The design, build quality and service of Think Tank products is generally quite good in my experience - and everything they make and sell is oriented toward photographers. I fit my Linhof Master Technika Classic 4x5 and 7 or 8 lenses in the Street Walker HardDrive, along with the dark cloth and various other widgets and batteries (etc.). However, due to the number of lenses I like to carry, I have to carry my film holders and light meter in specialized pouches on one of Think Tank's Speed Belts. They used to have a really outstanding pouch designed especially for 4x5 film holders (holding six), but I am not sure if it's still in their line. My tripod straps to the back pack (or I carry it in my hand), and there are side pouches for water bottles. I usually wear a photo vest for carrying my cellphone, filters, pens, cable release and all the other little fussy things that one needs when shooting. This works for me for my typical half-day excursions (or shorter) away from the car in National Parks or wherever, but if I were to be away for longer periods I'd need to reduce the number of lenses I carry so I could fit more/most of the stuff I carry in belt pouches into the back pack. I have the next smaller back pack in the Street Walker series for my MF and digital 35mm format gear, so I have to make a decision when I leave the car on whether to shoot with my 4x5 or my MF & digital gear, but I can not have it both ways. ...

faberryman
8-Mar-2017, 14:39
Seven or eight lenses? It is too bad Schneider never developed a Vario-Symmar. :)

locutus
9-Mar-2017, 00:05
I fear to think of the size of a LF Zoom lens, ever seen the Schneider medium format zooms?.....

Drew Bedo
9-Mar-2017, 07:46
Didn't Schneider make a set of interchangeable cells which assembled in different focal lengths for Wisner? They came in a nice fitted box.

Almost a Zoom.

JMO
9-Mar-2017, 09:03
Seven or eight lenses? It is too bad Schneider never developed a Vario-Symmar. :)

'Good point about the many lenses, but I figure that if I don't bring the ones I've assembled over time into the field, then they are certain to NOT be used - so what's the point of having them? When I go off on a hike in a Nat. Park I usually leave my 600T in the car, in favor of my 400T as longest, but the 600T is along on the trip for those rare cases where I need it. As I mentioned, if I need the extra space in my backpack I make choices on which lenses will stay in the car, and usually take a 90 (or 110 or 135), 150, (180 or) 210, 300 and the 400T if I am on a trail in a State or Nat. Park and am not sure what photo ops I'll run into. ...

locutus
11-Mar-2017, 03:43
A couple of months ago I bought a Lowepro Tactic 450AW. This is a newer model, and of course "optimized" for digital cameras. However, I've found it to be really great for 4x5 and related accessories.[/img]

I just bought mine today, it fits my Shenhao TZ45A, 3 lenses, set of filters, 6 DDS holders, Sony RX100(=Lightmeter), and a tripod strapped to the side perfectly.

The only gotcha is that my Shenhao doesn't fit standing up as your Chamonix does, it has to lie flat on its baseplate in the bottom compartment, this is fine but it does take up more space.

All this together is pretty comfy to wear, time to go out and shoot some sheets now! :-)