PDA

View Full Version : Where has all the Ilford Ortho Plus 4x5 gone?

Eric Woodbury
1-Mar-2017, 12:51
I've been trying to buy some Ilford Ortho for weeks now. Did somebody corner the market on this stuff? I'm on the list at B&H and my regular Samy's and Freestyle don't stock. What's up? Anybody else using this product?

Thanks for the help.

--ejw--

IanG
1-Mar-2017, 13:00
Try contacting Ilford directly, I used to use a lot of their Ortho film but that was quite a few years ago. Their last Stick list 2015 shos it only available in 5x4, but I think it was on an ULF run that year.

Chances are there's insufficient demand these days and it no longer commercially viable.

Ian

Eric Woodbury
1-Mar-2017, 14:24
IanG, don't say that. I'm using the 4x5 and getting to really like it when I need high contrast. I hope it is only a matter of time. I emailed Ilford, but no word from them either. --ew--

stawastawa
1-Mar-2017, 15:42
phone?

Tin Can
1-Mar-2017, 16:12
Maybe I bought the last box, with my Jan 15th B&H order...

bob carnie
2-Mar-2017, 07:25
I buy this in 20 inch x 100ft rolls for making digital negatives and am about to order more.

JMB
4-Mar-2017, 20:24
I buy this in 20 inch x 100ft rolls for making digital negatives and am about to order more.

Do you purchase these rolls directly from Ilford? What is the cost? Thanks!

bob carnie
5-Mar-2017, 07:40
From my Dealer Amplis, I am trying to put together a group purchase , contact me if you are interested, upwards $1200 per roll fyi.

cp_photo
5-Mar-2017, 09:49
Looking Glass Photo, Berkeley shows "one in stock" in 4x5 on their web site. A bit costly at $45.99

Vaughn
15-Mar-2017, 09:47
Just bought three boxes of 4x5 second-hand. Hope to try it to replace the last of the Tech Pan that I have for a Redwood project that requires backpacking.

Eric Woodbury
15-Mar-2017, 11:28
Vaughn, I picked up some 'used' boxes too. It's an interesting film that I use for N++ or more. I've been developing in Xtol 1:1. I haven't printed many of my negs with it yet, but those that I have look good. I've been guessing on the ISO and usually get a dense neg, but I print through that it looks fine. Even though it's ortho, I develop in the dark. I see that BH is promising Sept delivery for Ortho Plus.

My stock of Tech Pan is still healthy. I use this when I need extreme expansion, but that makes it pretty twitchy to hit the exposure.

Vaughn
15-Mar-2017, 12:06
My stock of Tech Pan is still healthy. I use this when I need extreme expansion, but that makes it pretty twitchy to hit the exposure.

What's your address and passcode for the alarm?:cool:

Eric Woodbury
15-Mar-2017, 12:14
Vaughn, when Kodak announced TP was discontinued, I ordered several boxes of 45 from Freestyle. I also have some 8x10 TP that I cut down to 5x7. And somebody gave me a bunch of 'dirty-five' rolls and 120 rolls. I sold the 35 and am slowly using the rest. I've never used it for normal contrast / high resolution. I only use when I need N++++. Very interesting film. If I have any left when I'm done, I'll leave it to you in my will. In the meantime, let me put a big lock and chain around the frig.

Vaughn
15-Mar-2017, 14:25
Never got to play with any Tech Pan 8x10. But back then, I found Kodak Copy film to do the job wonderfully. Though I occasionally ended up with a neg with atomic bomb proof highlights when the exposure and development did not balance out well! But I have made good carbon prints using such negatives...granted a six-hour exposure under a 175W lamp was a bit long!

For making carbon prints, I am looking for DRs above 2.5 (but all those numbers confuse me, but I know a good negative when I see one!) I certainly can not use my negs for silver gelatin printing!