PDA

View Full Version : Lenses W H Jackson used in the 1800s?

Greg
24-Feb-2017, 17:54
Does anyone know of what lenses W H Jackson had used for taking his photographs in the 1800s? Only info I've been able find is that he used cameras ranging from 8x10 to 17x20. Have not been able to find at all any reference to what lenses he used. I'd even settle for someone's speculation on what kind(s) of lenses he used. Am trying to emulate his images for an exhibit for our town's Museum.
thanks
Greg

Mark Sampson
24-Feb-2017, 18:59
He lived until 1940, and wrote an autobiography. Can't remember the title, I've looked into it but did not read it all. Perhaps you'll find out there; even if not, it should be useful background info.

Mark Sawyer
24-Feb-2017, 21:26
He had a pair of Willard lenses on his stereo camera, that's the extent of my knowledge...

goamules
25-Feb-2017, 06:46
I wouldn't be surprised if he used a Harrison Schnitzer Globe or a Dallmeyer Wide Angle Rectilinear on his early landscape cameras.

http://www.msmohp.com/uploads/2/0/0/7/2007090/whjackson-with-mule-and-dog_orig.jpg

He used a Leica with I believe a 50mm Summar late in life!

http://www.msmohp.com/uploads/2/0/0/7/2007090/7542234.jpg

goamules
25-Feb-2017, 06:58
If you are really good, you can identify this lens he's using. I can't.

http://www.msmohp.com/uploads/2/0/0/7/2007090/jackson-out-west2.jpg

John Jarosz
25-Feb-2017, 07:14
I have a biography William Henry Jackson - Framing the Frontier by Douglas Waitley published in 1998. (ISBN 0-87842-382-6 Mountain Press Pub). It's a good read but really not any detailed info on actual hardware used. Excellent Bibliography. Jackson had diaries which someone apparently published in book form in 1959. https://www.amazon.com/Diaries-William-Jackson-Frontier-Photographer/dp/1258197634

Bill_1856
25-Feb-2017, 13:53
Amazing thread!

premortho
27-Feb-2017, 16:39
Does anyone know of what lenses W H Jackson had used for taking his photographs in the 1800s? Only info I've been able find is that he used cameras ranging from 8x10 to 17x20. Have not been able to find at all any reference to what lenses he used. I'd even settle for someone's speculation on what kind(s) of lenses he used. Am trying to emulate his images for an exhibit for our town's Museum.
thanks
Greg1860's thru 1870's? Most likely used landscape lenses. Long focus doublets. Euryscope comes to mind.

mmerig
27-Feb-2017, 18:29
I have re-taken many of W. H. Jackson's scenes in Montana and Wyoming, from the Hayden Surveys of 1871, 1872, and 1878. I looked through his autobiographies (Time Exposure, Pioneer Photographer) for information on lenses, but could find little to none. Jackson had a large kit - more than one type of camera (e.g., stereo, view cameras) of different format sizes and his equipment changed over the years. He tended to use the best equipment he could get, and experimented with different materials, and sometimes this did not work out -- he had no images from his Mesa Verde work in 1877, the latent image did not last on his dry plates.

If anything, his lenses tended to be wide for a given format. The widest I dealt with was Jackson 919 (USGS), the non-stereo version. The angle of view along the horizontal axis was about 90 degrees. I could look through my notes and summarize them, but if you have particular scenes in mind, and I have re-taken them, I can give you specific information. You can also use topographic maps and Google Earth to figure it out, and calculate focal length from field of view. As for lens brands and type, experts on camera technology could weigh-in.

goamules
28-Feb-2017, 10:26
Probably wide angles. There were a few wide angles, but those I already mentioned were popular. The lens in the picture doesn't look like the Dallmeyer (or anyone's) meniscus, which were in a "can" type mount. I think I see a hood.

Steven Tribe
28-Feb-2017, 14:12
The "lens"on the low/large camera on the middle right - well, I don't think it is a lens. The brass flange is quite clear and and much lighter in colour than the "lens". The area looks very dusty to me, and the sensible photographer would have packed his lens away in a dust free place. As the format is pretty large, the only adequate lens which would fit into the smallish flange at this time is an early wide angle rr type or, if he was a traditionalist, a landscape meniscus.

Greg
28-Feb-2017, 16:28
just read the following:
"No shutters were employed, all exposures were by cap. In my landscape work I usually stopped down to about f/32 with an average exposure on a bright, clear day of 10 to 15 seconds. (5 seconds in absence of near foliage) - more or less according to the condition of the collodion and the silver bath. A rather new but "ripe" collodion and a new, nearly neutral silver bath gave me the maximum results. On a well lighted subject at f/8 "instantaneous" exposures could be made with the primitive drop shutter." quote from Jackson. page 310 PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE AMERICAN SCENE by Robert Taft.

goamules
28-Feb-2017, 16:47
Looks like a lens with lenscap to me. On closer inspection (I zoomed it in), it looks like a can type lens with a waterhouse slot perhaps. The bag lens cover would work well on the straight walls with no hood of that type. Who knows, it's not clear enough?

But the F8 being listed is a clue. That was probably wide open for their fastest exposures. An F8 being a Rapid Rectilinear. One that size physically would cover that large camera plate.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/627/33177910735_45010449ba_o.jpg

Two23
28-Feb-2017, 16:47
just read the following:
I usually stopped down to about f/32 with an average exposure on a bright, clear day of 10 to 15 seconds. (5 seconds in absence of near foliage) - .... On a well lighted subject at f/8 "instantaneous" exposures could be made with the primitive drop shutter." quote from Jackson. page 310 PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE AMERICAN SCENE by Robert Taft.

So, what ISO does that work out to be? f16 and 5s = ISO what? ISO 5? As for drop shutter, I'm assuming something like 1/30s. So 1/30s & f8 = ISO what? ISO 15 using Sunny 16 here?

Kent in SD

goamules
28-Feb-2017, 17:16
Here is another good one.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D73ZNyQtmCo/UCfF3vNDGiI/AAAAAAAAXJc/kTvprmUKh5A/s1600/William+Henry+Jackson%E2%80%99s+camera.bmp

Bill_1856
1-Mar-2017, 08:14
Looks like a lens with lenscap to me. On closer inspection (I zoomed it in), it looks like a can type lens with a waterhouse slot perhaps. The bag lens cover would work well on the straight walls with no hood of that type. Who knows, it's not clear enough?

But the F8 being listed is a clue. That was probably wide open for their fastest exposures. An F8 being a Rapid Rectilinear. One that size physically would cover that large camera plate.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/627/33177910735_45010449ba_o.jpg

Probably a "Worsching Gegenlichtalende" (combination lens hood and cap). Edward Weston also used them.

Mark Sampson
1-Mar-2017, 16:12
If you want to see actual WH Jackson prints up-close and personal, visit the Library of Congress' Prints and Photographs Division. They are very friendly there, a technician will bring you the prints you request from the online catalog. His mammoth plate prints are quite spectacular.

Mark Sampson
1-Mar-2017, 18:01
Oh, and if you come to DC we can get together and I'll buy the first round!

CCHarrison
6-Mar-2017, 11:29

Steven Tribe
6-Mar-2017, 12:02
Thanks for a look at the Worsching apparatus, Dan. It matches the outline in the photo perfectly.