PDA

View Full Version : Packing a 4x5 on a bicycle

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 16:01
I know this was taken up in the past but I'm still trying to decide.

I finally put together my touring bike (a Surly Disc Trucker). Here in the Philippines there are a lot of places that you can get to on a bicycle than in a car, plus you can easily stop on the side with your bike and photograph on the spot as opposed to parking and walking. So my choices for carrying a 4x5 would be panniers (like an Arkel Signature V), a porteur bag (like Surly Porteur House), or strap a photo bag (like the lowepro Magnum 650 AW) on the rack.

All three have their pros and cons so I was wondering what you guys think or suggest.

Thanks in advance!

domaz
21-Feb-2017, 16:18
I think I've tried each and every option for hauling camera bags on racks. They really all work just fine for a reasonably sized 4x5 camera. My vote would be for panniers though, these give you the most room typically and even make it possible to bikepack an 8x10 camera if you ever had the inclination. A pannier also gives you more room for camping equipment if you wanted to do a bike camping trip. With a pannier you have the added benefit of the top of the rear rack being free and you can strap your tripod to that (better if it's a compact model tripod or it sticks out a bit much).

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 16:22
Thanks. Your comment was really helpful!

I was originally leaning towards the porteur bag but they say that it really does affect the handling of the bike.

Greg
21-Feb-2017, 16:22
This applies to my experiences on trail riding and not for touring on paved roads. I strapped a Pelican case with padded inserts to the back of my bike. Unfortunately after a while vibrations transmitted to the case and through the added inserts started to loosen up parts of my camera. I tried to figure out some type of "suspension" to carry the case in, but gave up after rigging up one... the case, not being solidly secured to the frame "bounced" around affecting the bike's handling. Finally went with carrying my equipment in a f/64 backpack. Tripod, food, etc. ride on the back of the bike since they are not effected by vibration. Only down side was that my center off gravity was higher off the ground but easily adapted to that.

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 16:29
This applies to my experiences on trail riding and not for touring on paved roads. I strapped a Pelican case with padded inserts to the back of my bike. Unfortunately after a while vibrations transmitted to the case and through the added inserts started to loosen up parts of my camera. I tried to figure out some type of "suspension" to carry the case in, but gave up after rigging up one... the case, not being solidly secured to the frame "bounced" around affecting the bike's handling. Finally went with carrying my equipment in a f/64 backpack. Tripod, food, etc. ride on the back of the bike since they are not effected by vibration. Only down side was that my center off gravity was higher off the ground but easily adapted to that.

Greg, the f64 was on your back? Was it difficult?

Michael E
21-Feb-2017, 16:30
My biggest concern is usually the tripod. My 4x5" Tachihara plus lenses and holders easily travels in a messenger bag over my shoulder, but the tripod is usually too long to fasten it comfortably to my bike. I now use a small Manfrotto 190 that can't lift the camera to eye height, but can be mounted to the carrier or to the frame of the bike.

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 16:40
My biggest concern is usually the tripod. My 4x5" Tachihara plus lenses and holders easily travels in a messenger bag over my shoulder, but the tripod is usually too long to fasten it comfortably to my bike. I now use a small Manfrotto 190 that can't lift the camera to eye height, but can be mounted to the carrier or to the frame of the bike.

My worry about carrying a bag on my shoulder or back is it eventually weighs you down...does that happen to you?

scm
21-Feb-2017, 17:26
I've never used it for large format but I certainly could, this is my solution for packing 30 pounds of DSLR gear, water, etc. when photographing motorcycle racing.

The front basket is 14x9x10 inches, is easily and quickly detachable and I also have a 16x9x13 basket that will fit on the rear rack in place of the case, if I need it.

http://stevemidgleyphotography.com/20150425_155226.JPG

Greg
21-Feb-2017, 17:33
Greg, the f64 was on your back? Was it difficult?

Although I'll be hitting 70 this year, I have always been active biking, hiking, and rock climbing. And from around 1988 till maybe 5 years ago used to cover outdoor events for Riverfront Recapture (Riverfront.org) which involved long event shootings, all with a Lowe backpack on my back holding way too much photo equipment. After some time you forget that your carrying all the equipment on your back, till you try to weave through a crowd. So... I easily adapted to biking with the f/64 on my back.

Easy... no

Do I suggest going this route? Well definitely not for everyone.

Secret is carrying the f/64 backpack tightly on your back.

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 17:34
I've never used it for large format but I certainly could, this is my solution for packing 30 pounds of DSLR gear, water, etc. when photographing motorcycle racing.

The front basket is 14x9x10 inches, is easily and quickly detachable and I also have a 16x9x13 basket that will fit on the rear rack in place of the case, if I need it.

Nice! I thought about Wald Baskets as well. I guess the only way to really figure it out is to just go ahead and try something and see how it works. I think I'll start with the panniers, that way, if it doesn't work out, I can still use them for other things.

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 17:40
Although I'll be hitting 70 this year, I have always been active biking, hiking, and rock climbing. And from around 1988 till maybe 5 years ago used to cover outdoor events for Riverfront Recapture (Riverfront.org) which involved long event shootings, all with a Lowe backpack on my back holding way too much photo equipment. After some time you forget that your carrying all the equipment on your back, till you try to weave through a crowd. So... I easily adapted to biking with the f/64 on my back.

Easy... no

Do I suggest going this route? Well definitely not for everyone.

Secret is carrying the f/64 backpack tightly on your back.

Thanks! Ha...I was about to say...well I'm 51 years old so I'd have a hard time and then I saw that you're turning 70.....shame on me! hahaha

Michael E
21-Feb-2017, 18:41
My worry about carrying a bag on my shoulder or back is it eventually weighs you down...does that happen to you?

I usually carry the bag all day, but not on a bike. Works for me. A backpack is easier to carry, but you have to put it down to get out the contents.

How much and how hard do you ride your bike? If you go offroad or cover lots of miles/kilometres, a bag over your shoulder might become a burden. I usually don't exceed 10 or 15 miles in a day, at a leisurely pace...

LabRat
21-Feb-2017, 18:44
+1 on carrying any gear directly on a bike... When I did long ago, the vibration did a number on my gear, including loose elements in lenses, etc...

It was even hard on the tripod, mounted on the rear rack, where screws would fall out, etc... Making a paper or plastic tube that aims upward on the rear side rack might be better than lashing it horizontally on the rack or frame... Find a cheap tripod for this because this is rough on the tripod...

Camera stuff is best carried on the body in a backpack or bag, and observe your center of gravity...

Steve K

Willie
21-Feb-2017, 20:31
Why not a small bike trailer. Lois Connor used a bicycle & trailer for her 7x17 photo project in China more than a decade ago.

Vaughn
21-Feb-2017, 21:01
I took a 5-month 2000+mile bicycle trip with a 4x5 in New Zealand. The camera was kept in is own pack strapped on top of the other gear I had on the back rack (tent, sleeping bag, pad, pod). It was nice to have right on top if I needed it. Every once in a while I would go thru my camera equipment and check for loose screws, etc. Had to do it with the bike, too -- lots of gravel roads! Panniers (front and back) were for food, cooking gear, clothes, changing bag, film, lens, mask and snorkel.

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 21:43
I usually carry the bag all day, but not on a bike. Works for me. A backpack is easier to carry, but you have to put it down to get out the contents.

How much and how hard do you ride your bike? If you go offroad or cover lots of miles/kilometres, a bag over your shoulder might become a burden. I usually don't exceed 10 or 15 miles in a day, at a leisurely pace...

I don't think I will be doing much off road...mostly paved and gravel. Definitely easy rides. I've noticed though that shoulder bags do get painful for me (for walking). I switched to a backpack to even out the weight on my body.

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 21:44
+1 on carrying any gear directly on a bike... When I did long ago, the vibration did a number on my gear, including loose elements in lenses, etc...

It was even hard on the tripod, mounted on the rear rack, where screws would fall out, etc... Making a paper or plastic tube that aims upward on the rear side rack might be better than lashing it horizontally on the rack or frame... Find a cheap tripod for this because this is rough on the tripod...

Camera stuff is best carried on the body in a backpack or bag, and observe your center of gravity...

Steve K

Thanks Steve for the reply. I would probably give that a try with a medium format camera and see how long my back can hold out.

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 21:46
Why not a small bike trailer. Lois Connor used a bicycle & trailer for her 7x17 photo project in China more than a decade ago.

I know..She's one of the reasons I started thinking about biking and photography together...if I had (or when I have :-) ) an 8x10, then I would consider it. Where I'm from, it might be a bit difficult to maneuver through the roads with a trailer.

macolive
21-Feb-2017, 21:48
I took a 5-month 2000+mile bicycle trip with a 4x5 in New Zealand. The camera was kept in is own pack strapped on top of the other gear I had on the back rack (tent, sleeping bag, pad, pod). It was nice to have right on top if I needed it. Every once in a while I would go thru my camera equipment and check for loose screws, etc. Had to do it with the bike, too -- lots of gravel r Thanks oads! Panniers (front and back) were for food, cooking gear, clothes, changing bag, film, lens, mask and snorkel.

Thanks Vaughn. Were you using a camera bag or a trunk bag for the camera?

LabRat
21-Feb-2017, 21:59
Thanks Steve for the reply. I would probably give that a try with a medium format camera and see how long my back can hold out.

Here's a tip;

Anything you carry near your waist holds your center of gravity low, and if the weight rides on/near your hips, tends to slightly vanish... If your bag has a large padded hip belt it can attach to, you will ride in much more comfort... Or if a backpack has a large hipbelt, the weight will ride lower... Try it!!!

Steve K

andreios
22-Feb-2017, 00:25
Good thread - only the last weekend have I been contemplating how to combine my recenlty rediscovered joy of cycling with LF...
I came to the conclusion that the wisest thing probably would indeed be to find a solution to strap the tripod to the frame and carry the camera and lens in a backpack (not utterly comfortable but I am used to it from my commute - it seems odd to put panniers or similar gear on a folding bike that I started to use for going to work :) ) Since I have no-suspension bike (works fine for the forest roads and fields around here) I wouldn't think of strapping the camera to the "rattler" and use my body as a "suspension" for the camera, if that makes sense..

Vaughn
22-Feb-2017, 00:42
Thanks Vaughn. Were you using a camera bag or a trunk bag for the camera?
I had a top-loading climbing sort of daypack. I have a Gowland PocketView...the rail comes apart in the middle and by loosening the swing on both standards it collaspes pretty flat (half the rail on each standard.) The camera went between two pieces of open-cell sculpted foam and that slipped into a waterproof stuff sack. That sack went tightly into the pack first. Another stuff sack holding five 4x5 film holders went on top of that, then the lens and meter on top of the film holders. I put several inches of foam in the bottom of the pack -- nice not having to think twice about setting the camera pack down. Front loaders are much easier, but in the end, everything has to come out of the pack for a single shot, anyway. I could attach side pockets for a waterbottle and food for all-day hikes.

Directly on the back bike rack was my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tripod. All aligned cross-way. The camera pack was laid on top length-wise. If the bike tipped over, the camera pack did not hit the ground...the tent and all would take the impact. That was the theory, anyway! Fortunately I have long legs and seat is very high, so I just was able to swing my leg over the tall pile of stuff on the back of the bike and get on. The front panniers were "lowboys" - weight centered of the axle. The back panniers held most the weight and were also nicely weight-centered about on the axle. So even with 60 to 80 pounds on the bike, once moving it was very stable...nice on mountain turns! Tires: 26x1.9 smooth center with knobby sides.

I put the lens, surrounded in loose clothes, in the right front pannier. I figured I had a better chance of missing potholes, etc with the front tire than a rear and could more easily de-weight the front tire if needed to reduce shock. I also thought that if I had to lay the bike down, I'd try to go down on the left side and protect the lens. Ahhhh...such foolishness. When I got into deeper gravel on a turn and drifted into rocks -- then I realized that left or right made little difference as the handle bars turned a full 180 degrees as I flew over them.

macolive
22-Feb-2017, 04:29
I had a top-loading climbing sort of daypack. I have a Gowland PocketView...the rail comes apart in the middle and by loosening the swing on both standards it collaspes pretty flat (half the rail on each standard.) The camera went between two pieces of open-cell sculpted foam and that slipped into a waterproof stuff sack. That sack went tightly into the pack first. Another stuff sack holding five 4x5 film holders went on top of that, then the lens and meter on top of the film holders. I put several inches of foam in the bottom of the pack -- nice not having to think twice about setting the camera pack down. Front loaders are much easier, but in the end, everything has to come out of the pack for a single shot, anyway. I could attach side pockets for a waterbottle and food for all-day hikes.

Directly on the back bike rack was my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tripod. All aligned cross-way. The camera pack was laid on top length-wise. If the bike tipped over, the camera pack did not hit the ground...the tent and all would take the impact. That was the theory, anyway! Fortunately I have long legs and seat is very high, so I just was able to swing my leg over the tall pile of stuff on the back of the bike and get on. The front panniers were "lowboys" - weight centered of the axle. The back panniers held most the weight and were also nicely weight-centered about on the axle. So even with 60 to 80 pounds on the bike, once moving it was very stable...nice on mountain turns! Tires: 26x1.9 smooth center with knobby sides.

I put the lens, surrounded in loose clothes, in the right front pannier. I figured I had a better chance of missing potholes, etc with the front tire than a rear and could more easily de-weight the front tire if needed to reduce shock. I also thought that if I had to lay the bike down, I'd try to go down on the left side and protect the lens. Ahhhh...such foolishness. When I got into deeper gravel on a turn and drifted into rocks -- then I realized that left or right made little difference as the handle bars turned a full 180 degrees as I flew over them.
Ouch! But the gear survived right?

macolive
22-Feb-2017, 04:30
Good thread - only the last weekend have I been contemplating how to combine my recenlty rediscovered joy of cycling with LF...
I came to the conclusion that the wisest thing probably would indeed be to find a solution to strap the tripod to the frame and carry the camera and lens in a backpack (not utterly comfortable but I am used to it from my commute - it seems odd to put panniers or similar gear on a folding bike that I started to use for going to work :) ) Since I have no-suspension bike (works fine for the forest roads and fields around here) I wouldn't think of strapping the camera to the "rattler" and use my body as a "suspension" for the camera, if that makes sense..
I get what you mean. I'll give it a try.

GG12
22-Feb-2017, 07:28
There used to be long discussions about carrying cameras on motorcycle trips, long ones across the country. The worry was that the vibrations would slowly loosen up the hardware in ways that were not easily seen. In general, the discussion went in two directions:

1) with enough layers of foam and isolation, the camera would be OK.
2) no level of packing would do the trick, and wasn't worth the risk

The packing of a 4x5 on a bicycle has some similarities, but the vibrations (and shocks) are different. Less vibration, and more shock probably. While it is easier to see and fix damage to a 4x5, as loose screws can be fixed, any separation of corner joints would not be so easy to repair. This might depend on the camera - metal vs. wood, although I'd hate to have shutter mechanisms subject to road bumps.

So I'm for taking the camera and lens and put them on your back (more isolation) and let the rest of the stuff be in panniers or other holders. The more isolation the better.

Running absolutely the other way, there was this Time-Life photographer studied with some 45 years ago who used to put his Leicas and lenses in a Pan-Am (remember them?) bag without any padding and just let them tumble against each other as he walked. He did just fine, but then again, the cameras were replaced probably every couple of years....

I guess it comes down to how rugged do you think your gear is? If you think its fragile, go one way. If you think its all tough, go the other. Just be prepared to do some repair over time.

adelorenzo
22-Feb-2017, 10:17
I do a lot of cycling with cameras, occasionally on smoother surfaces but mostly on trails or snow. Even on multi-day trips when all my other gear is carried on the bike I carry the camera gear on my body somewhere. When it comes to the 4x5 camera that means a backpack.

AuditorOne
22-Feb-2017, 14:59
It does make you wonder just how Timothy O'Sullivan and others of his kind made it across the west with a horse and buggy, big cameras, glass plates, tripods and all. No shock absorbers and no roads.

Jac@stafford.net
22-Feb-2017, 15:12
My biggest concern is usually the tripod.

Me, too!

Eric Woodbury
22-Feb-2017, 16:18
You need a bike that converts to a tripod. Maybe a 1/4-20 on the seat post or handlebars. Maybe not.

Greg
22-Feb-2017, 16:33
ad from 1891 Photo Catalogue...

Mark Sampson
22-Feb-2017, 19:05
I used to carry my Zone VI 4x5 and its kit in a Tamrac camera bag (with hideaway backpack straps). I would backpack a relatively minimal kit, and bungee my Tiltall onto the flat back rack of my bike. The tripod stuck out behind, but overall that setup worked. I don't do that anymore, but it's still a feasible way to go. Note that I (still) ride a Cannondale touring bike (long wheelbase, racks, panniers, 700x35 tires) and did not attempt long off-road excursions. Lighter-weight camera/kit answers are out there, too.

macolive
23-Feb-2017, 01:37
It does make you wonder just how Timothy O'Sullivan and others of his kind made it across the west with a horse and buggy, big cameras, glass plates, tripods and all. No shock absorbers and no roads.
Exactly, but then again they didn't use copal shutters :-)

macolive
23-Feb-2017, 01:42
I'm still a bit worried about carrying gear on my back. I have an arca swiss 4x5 which I think is pretty sturdy....so apart from trying to carry everything on my back, I may have a padded pouch made for the camera and put it on a rack bag (possibly with some packing air cushions) and put the lenses on a messenger bag strapped to me.

Has anyone tried a porteur bag? Is it difficult to handle the bike with those bags?

MartinP
23-Feb-2017, 09:40
With some help from google, I have found that "porteur bag" apparently means a large front-rack mounted bag? The ones I saw in an advertisement look ridiculously large, as though they were made by someone who has never ridden a bicycle.

Here in Netherlands (probably known as 'Holland' in US-English) most people ride bikes everywhere every week, if not every day. The best known Dutch manufacturer of bicycle luggage did indeed produce a handlebar-mounted, quick-release camera-bag, and I have one. Loaded with several kilograms of medium-format or 35mm gear (roughly similar in weight and size to a single 4x5 camera and lens) it is not a handling problem, so long as there is some weight behind the rider too -- for example rear-panniers. My longest trip with camera gear on the handlebars was three months and the main problem was mould growth in the enclosed space of the bag.

Alternatively, a small rucsac can sit on a front-rack (probably best on some sort of closed-cell cushion, fixed on top of the rack), bungee-corded to the rack and handlebars. I have done this too and found that the 35mm camera items in the rucsac banged against each other too much for safety, so had to protect them individually which slowed access considerably. With a single 4x5" camera, folded with lens inside, that rattling would not be a problem as you just have one lump of gear -- or two if you include some film-holders in the bag. If one has a huge 4x5" camera, or an 8x10", then rear panniers are probably the only practical option without a trailer or one of these. . .

locutus
23-Feb-2017, 10:30
one of these. . .

I used to have one of those (in Utrecht).... ULF Bakfiets, oh my now there is an idea!

AuditorOne
23-Feb-2017, 11:20
...or one of these. . .

these are not made for my country side. I cannot imagine pedaling that through a mountain pass. :D

Robert Brazile
23-Feb-2017, 12:49
With some help from google, I have found that "porteur bag" apparently means a large front-rack mounted bag? The ones I saw in an advertisement look ridiculously large, as though they were made by someone who has never ridden a bicycle.

Can't speak to the advertisement you saw, but some traditions front-load and some traditions rear-load, and from the name you might guess that the "porteur" approach is French, and was used heavily there for delivering quite-heavy goods, including large stacks of newspapers much heavier than most camera gear. They depend on bicycle geometry that favors a front load, and wouldn't work as well on others. If you have such a bike, they're a very nice way to go. Here is such a bike (mine):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3848/14912868969_5711cc802d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/oHNmov)
DP2Q0093, Kogswell P/R quarter view (https://flic.kr/p/oHNmov) by Robert Brazile (https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbrazile/), on Flickr

With some padding under the gear, either inside the porteur bag or under it, I can carry quite a large load safely -- including an LF camera and associated gear.

Robert

Vaughn
23-Feb-2017, 13:44
Ouch! But the gear survived right?

It was Christmas Day...I had camped by myself at a small stream-side camp. I had run out of food...a handful of granola for dinner and the same for breakfast -- and a handful of nuts and dry fruit to get me 110 km to the next town. After the crash, I laid on the rocks for a little while trying to figure out if any bones were broken. As I went over the handlebars, I tucked and rolled, actually it was a nice smooth move, I was impressed. Too bad that I had to land on a bunch of rocks (6" to a foot in size). Eventually I got up. Tightened the cables that got stretched when the wheel went 180. Some fender adjustment. And I wobbled off on the gravel road that I had been on for 140km. Pavement started about 200 meters from where I crashed!

And the truth be told -- I did not look at my camera gear for several days...sort of afraid to. And after that day's ride, one of my knees became worthless for a week, so I wasn't photographing. But amazingly enough, the camera equipment was 100%. In case of such things, I did bring an extra GG I stuck in a 4x5 film box w/ padding, and a pinhole I could use if something happened to my lens. I never needed them, tho I wish I had played with the pinhole a little on the trip.

hporter
23-Feb-2017, 17:55
The OP mentioned Arkel Panniers and it reminded me that I used to haul my Agfa 8x10 around in Arkel Panniers. It was a tight fit, camera in pannier on one side, the holders, lenses and meter in the other pannier. I strapped the tripod to the rack which the panniers were attached to. It was a bit awkward, but it worked. Just had to watch for loose screws now and again. I can see the point of those who prefer to strap the camera to themselves, and not the bike. But it is doable. And when I threw a 4x5 in the pannier instead, I didn't even know it was there!

macolive
23-Feb-2017, 20:19
The OP mentioned Arkel Panniers and it reminded me that I used to haul my Agfa 8x10 around in Arkel Panniers. It was a tight fit, camera in pannier on one side, the holders, lenses and meter in the other pannier. I strapped the tripod to the rack which the panniers were attached to. It was a bit awkward, but it worked. Just had to watch for loose screws now and again. I can see the point of those who prefer to strap the camera to themselves, and not the bike. But it is doable. And when I threw a 4x5 in the pannier instead, I didn't even know it was there!

Thanks for the photos!! It really helps see what is possible. You said you had to watch out for loose screws every now and then...Did they come loose? I think the camera itself could be in a pannier but the lenses maybe on my body or a handlebar bag.

Thanks again!

Vaughn
23-Feb-2017, 22:14
One thing nice about placing the camera in a stuff sack (waterproof), is that if any knobs or screws actually worked themselves off, they'll be contained. I have memories of taking the camera out, and a knob would be loose in the bag.

The problem of vibration can be significantly reduced with padding, and until someone hooks up a vibration meter of some kind, I am going to assume that it is all about the same, on the bike or in a pack on my back. And if I crash, having equipment on the bike is safer than on my back -- for me and the equipment. Some of the toughest vibrations will come from the inside ones car. The last ten or so miles of wash-board road into Eureka Valley in my van probably caused as much vibration to me and equipment than the 2000 miles on a bicycle in New Zealand! LOL! I keep the camera gear on the foam mattress, which helps.

In NZ, there was fifteen km of the same kind of wash-board road down on the back side of Haast Pass...zooming down the pass on the loaded bicycle was intense. I had to keep a very loose grip on the handlebars or else my teeth would have shaken out. But the camera equipment was fine. As an after-thought that evening, perhaps letting a little air out of my tires for that downhill run might have helped.

Dirk Rösler
24-Feb-2017, 05:24
Just look at the Ortlieb site, options plenty https://www.ortlieb.com/en/radtaschenzubehoer/

4x5 should really be no problem at all. I am carrying 5x7 in a shoulder bag. 8x10 it gets more challenging.

Actually, tripod might be the hardest to accommodate on a bike.

macolive
24-Feb-2017, 05:50
One thing nice about placing the camera in a stuff sack (waterproof), is that if any knobs or screws actually worked themselves off, they'll be contained. I have memories of taking the camera out, and a knob would be loose in the bag.

The problem of vibration can be significantly reduced with padding, and until someone hooks up a vibration meter of some kind, I am going to assume that it is all about the same, on the bike or in a pack on my back. And if I crash, having equipment on the bike is safer than on my back -- for me and the equipment. Some of the toughest vibrations will come from the inside ones car. The last ten or so miles of wash-board road into Eureka Valley in my van probably caused as much vibration to me and equipment than the 2000 miles on a bicycle in New Zealand! LOL! I keep the camera gear on the foam mattress, which helps.

In NZ, there was fifteen km of the same kind of wash-board road down on the back side of Haast Pass...zooming down the pass on the loaded bicycle was intense. I had to keep a very loose grip on the handlebars or else my teeth would have shaken out. But the camera equipment was fine. As an after-thought that evening, perhaps letting a little air out of my tires for that downhill run might have helped.

Thanks Vaughn! You have the coolest stories!

macolive
24-Feb-2017, 05:51
Just look at the Ortlieb site, options plenty https://www.ortlieb.com/en/radtaschenzubehoer/

4x5 should really be no problem at all. I am carrying 5x7 in a shoulder bag. 8x10 it gets more challenging.

Maybe this would be a solution...161774
An Arkel Pannier with a bag for tent poles which could possibly fit a tripod.

Dirk Rösler
24-Feb-2017, 06:27

I use this, Croozer Cargo trailer... very convenient

hporter
24-Feb-2017, 09:27
You said you had to watch out for loose screws every now and then...Did they come loose?

Yes, on some cameras they did. What I did to isolate vibration, cheaply, was to buy second hand soft sided insulated lunch cooler sacks at thrift stores. You can get them the correct size for stashing 4x5 holders in, or even the whole camera. I received one from a project that I worked on that fit my speed graphic perfectly. I always carried my lenses in lens wraps, and then put them into a lunch cooler bag. With all the individual components in different cooler bags, is also protects the items from damaging one another. In the last photo in my previous post, you can see the top of a large sized lunch cooler loaded with film holders.

Arkel makes good equipment. I used their bicycle brief case until it literally looked so bad I was ashamed to carry it into the office. I like the tent pole bag idea posted previously. That was the biggest problem for me, stowing and maneuvering around with the tripod on the bike. My little Bogen tripod wasn't too much trouble, but when I tried carrying a larger tripod for the 8x10, the problems of balance and attaching the tripod to the bike become more complicated.

I also looked at the waterproof Ortlieb panniers, and thought they would be a good choice too. But in my experience if you have your equipment in lunch coolers which have a water proof lining, the water would have to get through the pannier, and then through the cooler bag. And Arkel sells rain covers for their panniers too if that were a concern. I never had any trouble, but I also avoided being out on my bike in potentially bad weather. Storms are nothing to play around in, especially being many miles away from the car or the house.

hporter
24-Feb-2017, 09:42

That is another very good idea, if you stay on reasonably wide surfaces. It was surprising to me, how easy it is to pull a trailer with a bicycle. I bought one made for hauling dogs when my sweet girl became too lame to go on walks with me. She loved being able to go with me, and I found on paved streets, it was no trouble pulling 60 lbs of dog in the trailer.

I also wanted to add this photo, which shows how compact the trailers can be, and also to show the rack that I used to carry the panniers on. The little JanDD bag shown on the rack was actually big enough to carry my speed graphic and a meter in. With the lens closed up safely in the camera, it was a convenient way to do a quick trip of hand holdable 4x5 shooting.

Vaughn
24-Feb-2017, 15:45
I have mentioned this before, but vibration-wise, the biggest problem I had was with exposed film sitting in a 4x5 box on the bike. A combination of high humidity and vibration caused high-humidity static discharges between the sheets of film in the box. Several negs ruined, some spot-able....instead of steaks of light, it was little dots. I should have padded inside the box to keep the film still.

Greg
24-Feb-2017, 16:18

I attached a large PVC pipe vertically to the side of the back wheel. Bottom had a glued end cap. inside padding glued on the bottom and glued around the inside top. Then a bungee cord attached to the side of the tube and used to hold down the tripod. Worked out fine, forgot it was even there the first time I used it... you have to remember it sticks up above the rear fender, I didn't.

macolive
25-Feb-2017, 06:32

I did think about this also (the ibex trailer) but maybe when i have an 8x10.

macolive
25-Feb-2017, 06:33
Yes, on some cameras they did. What I did to isolate vibration, cheaply, was to buy second hand soft sided insulated lunch cooler sacks at thrift stores. You can get them the correct size for stashing 4x5 holders in, or even the whole camera. I received one from a project that I worked on that fit my speed graphic perfectly. I always carried my lenses in lens wraps, and then put them into a lunch cooler bag. With all the individual components in different cooler bags, is also protects the items from damaging one another. In the last photo in my previous post, you can see the top of a large sized lunch cooler loaded with film holders.

Arkel makes good equipment. I used their bicycle brief case until it literally looked so bad I was ashamed to carry it into the office. I like the tent pole bag idea posted previously. That was the biggest problem for me, stowing and maneuvering around with the tripod on the bike. My little Bogen tripod wasn't too much trouble, but when I tried carrying a larger tripod for the 8x10, the problems of balance and attaching the tripod to the bike become more complicated.

I also looked at the waterproof Ortlieb panniers, and thought they would be a good choice too. But in my experience if you have your equipment in lunch coolers which have a water proof lining, the water would have to get through the pannier, and then through the cooler bag. And Arkel sells rain covers for their panniers too if that were a concern. I never had any trouble, but I also avoided being out on my bike in potentially bad weather. Storms are nothing to play around in, especially being many miles away from the car or the house.

Thanks for the insight.

macolive
25-Feb-2017, 06:34
I have mentioned this before, but vibration-wise, the biggest problem I had was with exposed film sitting in a 4x5 box on the bike. A combination of high humidity and vibration caused high-humidity static discharges between the sheets of film in the box. Several negs ruined, some spot-able....instead of steaks of light, it was little dots. I should have padded inside the box to keep the film still.

Hmmmm....it's almost enough to make me go digital! Hahaha

popdoc
25-Feb-2017, 18:31
I may have missed it here, or in other threads, but what about doing the same with a multi-strada motorcycle? Also, which motorcycle would you recommend?

macolive
25-Feb-2017, 19:49
I may have missed it here, or in other threads, but what about doing the same with a multi-strada motorcycle? Also, which motorcycle would you recommend?

Originally, I wanted to get a Vstrom, but my wife said "Absolutely not! Not until you build me a house." As far as I've seen, there are hard case panniers (like pelicans with foam) in which I would put the gear. Not sure about the tripod though.

Vaughn
25-Feb-2017, 21:12

my brother has one of these -- he likes it. http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bike/enduro/2012/r1200gs/r1200gs_overview.html&notrack=1

Drew Bedo
28-Feb-2017, 15:09
My 4x5 kit packs into an old LowePro Magnum-35 shoulder bag; camera, 3 lenses, 12 holders and the oher stuff. Weighs as much as 23 pounds depending.

I would think that this package is compact enough to be styrapped onto a rear fender rack if it were stout enough.

What about the racks that news boys used to pack full of rolled up papers?

Greg
2-Mar-2017, 17:00
one bike, one photographer, and one camera

macolive
2-Mar-2017, 18:02
My 4x5 kit packs into an old LowePro Magnum-35 shoulder bag; camera, 3 lenses, 12 holders and the oher stuff. Weighs as much as 23 pounds depending.

I would think that this package is compact enough to be styrapped onto a rear fender rack if it were stout enough.

What about the racks that news boys used to pack full of rolled up papers?

I mentioned a front rack bag that Surly and a few other companies make. They are quite large and I imagine the system would fit easily into the bag. The size of the bag is just a little bigger than the Lowepro Magnum 400aw. A lot of people are divided on whether it's better to have such a heavy load in front and high up or whether it's better to have it in the rear. This bag is a front only bag.162069

macolive
3-Mar-2017, 01:43
So after much deliberation, I am thinking of going with panniers. Probably the Arkel signature V.

My solution to packing the camera and lenses would be to use polyurethane foam. This is what I had in mind. Fingers crossed!

tgtaylor
7-Mar-2017, 23:36
Here is a video of a guy that toured Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica on a Salsa Marrakesh road touring bike with a 4x5 and panoramic camera (scroll down and click on the video):

http://salsacycles.com/culture/brians_ride_a_photography_bike_tour_down_route_66

From Santa Monica it looks like he rode up to San Francisco where he developed his film at Rayko's.

I am considering the Salsa and the Fuji touring bike. Toyo 45CF, Gitzo GT0540, Harrison pup tent, Sekonic L-758DR and Nikon F6 is my photo gear.

Thomas

stawastawa
8-Mar-2017, 16:28
Macolive, I made a simple case for my tachihara out of a camping mat, sewed the corners together to make a sleeve of sorts. let me know if you want more pictures.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/579/32948411790_6bd805d719_t.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ScxdVm)160815-08183__Photo Gear Storage (https://flic.kr/p/ScxdVm) on Flickr

So after much deliberation, I am thinking of going with panniers. Probably the Arkel signature V.

My solution to packing the camera and lenses would be to use polyurethane foam. This is what I had in mind. Fingers crossed!

macolive
8-Mar-2017, 20:58
Macolive, I made a simple case for my tachihara out of a camping mat, sewed the corners together to make a sleeve of sorts. let me know if you want more pictures.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/579/32948411790_6bd805d719_t.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ScxdVm)160815-08183__Photo Gear Storage (https://flic.kr/p/ScxdVm) on Flickr

Hi Nicholas,

Is this mounted as a pannier? I must be overthinking things :-) Perhaps I don't need as much protection as I originally thought. How thick is the camping mat material? 1/2"?

macolive
9-Mar-2017, 03:06
Maybe I AM OVERTHINKING THIS!162341

Emmanuel BIGLER
9-Mar-2017, 09:08
Hello from France!

My friend Marcel Couturier uses a single-wheel trailer like this.

Single-wheel trailer - image #1 (http://bigler.blog.free.fr/public/images/2017-03-10-Mono2.jpg)

Bicycle + trailer - image #2 (http://bigler.blog.free.fr/public/images/2017-03-10-Mono1.jpg)

Trailer - image #3 (http://bigler.blog.free.fr/public/images/2017-03-10-DSCN1847.JPG)

Trailer delail - image #4 (http://bigler.blog.free.fr/public/images/2017-03-10-DSCN1845.JPG)

You may also have a look at this video by Samuel Gérard, who is a French LF photographer.

The video shows him travelling with all his 4x5" gear + camping equipment, using a mountain bike and a single-wheel trailer.
https://vimeo.com/12667188

Samuel Gérard's web site: http://www.samuelgerard.com (http://www.samuelgerard.com/)

macolive
10-Mar-2017, 13:59
Hello from France!

My friend Marcel Couturier uses a single-wheel trailer like this.

You may also have a look at this video by Samuel Gérard, who is a French LF photographer.

The video shows him travelling with all his 4x5" gear + camping equipment, using a mountain bike and a single-wheel trailer.

Samuel Gérard's web site: http://www.samuelgerard.com (http://www.samuelgerard.com/)

Thanks for sharing Emmanuel. Do our friends at Arca have any views about carrying their cameras on bicycles?

stawastawa
10-Mar-2017, 21:05
Macolive, the foam mat material is a bit less than a half inch, but close to that.
This rig has only been on a bike a handful of times, mostly as the shoulder bag that it is (not recommended), a few times in a backpack and once or twice in a trailer. This is how I typically store and transport my gear.

Hi Nicholas,

Is this mounted as a pannier? I must be overthinking things :-) Perhaps I don't need as much protection as I originally thought. How thick is the camping mat material? 1/2"?

Emmanuel BIGLER
11-Mar-2017, 10:51
Hi!
Do our friends at Arca have any views about carrying their cameras on bicycles?
Well, probably no. The only items I remember in the Arca Swiss catalog to carry LF equipment were carrying cases, there was a metallic one, there was the soft one sold with the F-line Discovery model and a nice leather case for the F-line 6x9 model, but nothing specifically designed for carrying LF gear on a bicycle.

Looking more carefully at Marcel's trailer, I realize that he probably adapted a spring-loaded wheel himself to a trailer designed with an ordinary wheel attachment system, originally with no suspension. (http://bigler.blog.free.fr/public/images/2017-03-10-DSCN1845.JPG)

Another image I have in mind regarding carrying photo equipment on a bicycle is this one
from the Berlebach booth at the 2014 photokina in Cologne (https://www.flickr.com/photos/43175600@N00/15370473709/)
but the amount of equipment shown here is modest, if I had to carry LF gear with a bicycle, I would first have an interview with my friend Marcel and do exactly what he would recommend to me ; )

tgtaylor
11-Mar-2017, 11:43
That was a great video you posted Emmanuel.

I will be purchasing a Burley Nomad trailer (14.5 lbs) https://www.rei.com/product/882667/burley-nomad-cargo-bike-trailer for touring but I find that the trailer specs are also perfect for hauling my Toyo 810MII around for local photo outings. The Burley will accommodate the Lowepro 650 AWII Trekker (9.5 lbs) carrying the camera, 3 or 4 lens, 5 film holders, spot meter...etc., and the G1348 Gitzo. It collapses into a rectangle that easily stores in the trunk so with the bike on the back of the car I can drive to the location I want check out and then attach the trailer and go. Everything stays well protected inside the Lowepro. The two wheel design provides for greater stability and distributes the bumps more evenly that a one wheel design.

Thomas

macolive
11-Mar-2017, 14:04
Hi!
Do our friends at Arca have any views about carrying their cameras on bicycles?
Well, probably no. The only items I remember in the Arca Swiss catalog to carry LF equipment were carrying cases, there was a metallic one, there was the soft one sold with the F-line Discovery model and a nice leather case for the F-line 6x9 model, but nothing specifically designed for carrying LF gear on a bicycle.

Thanks Emmanuel....i was wondering more like whether they don't encourage packing their cameras onto a bicycle :-)

Looking more carefully at Marcel's trailer, I realize that he probably adapted a spring-loaded wheel himself to a trailer designed with an ordinary wheel attachment system, originally with no suspension. (http://bigler.blog.free.fr/public/images/2017-03-10-DSCN1845.JPG)

I think he is using a Bob Ibex trailer which has suspension on it.

Another image I have in mind regarding carrying photo equipment on a bicycle is this one
from the Berlebach booth at the 2014 photokina in Cologne (https://www.flickr.com/photos/43175600@N00/15370473709/)
but the amount of equipment shown here is modest, if I had to carry LF gear with a bicycle, I would first have an interview with my friend Marcel and do exactly what he would recommend to me ; )

This is the way I think i'll go for now (panniers) and while i think the absolute best choice is the trailer, I want to see if it's feasible here for me in my country (given the way people drive here) :-)

Emmanuel BIGLER
12-Mar-2017, 02:07
i was wondering more like whether they don't encourage packing their cameras onto a bicycle :-)

Actually I discussed once with Martin Vogt regarding carrying my F-line camera in a backpack.
Martin told me that I should leave all tightening knobs loose and let the various parts of the camera free to move.
So (no surprise ;) ), there are actually many A/S customers who carry their gear in a backpack. But as far as cycling is concerned, I do not know.
Carrying any photo equipment with a trailer attached to a bicycle exposes the equipment to some kind of vibrations not really expected from a human walking slowly ;)
I imagine that my friend Marcel changed the fixed wheel of his trailer to a suspended wheel to reduce the effect of vibrations.

Regarding a two-wheeled trailer, I have one similar to this current model,
https://www.leggero.de/media/image/ba/2c/db/Leggero_Vento_01-surf_si_2016-09.jpg
bought 20 years ago when our children were young, and at a time when the offer on the French market was scarce.
In Europe 20 years ago, Swiss, Germans and of course, Dutch and Danish, already had a mature market for for carrying children with trailers behind a bicycle. I had no LF camera at the time and no idea that the trailer could be used some day for my photographic activities.
However, in the last 20 years, France has made significant progress to promote cycling.
If I use such a trailer downtown today, I am no longer considered as an eccentric, but any time I visit Karlsruhe, a relatively flat city close to the Rhine in Germany, I am always impressed by the number of children routinely carried behind a bicycle downtown!

Another Arcaphile friend of mine, who lives in Paris, uses routinely this kind of 'cargo bike' in town to carry his child as well as all kinds of equipement.
http://theradavist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Bullitt-18-1335x889.jpg

Today, my 2-wheeled trailer would be the perfect "vehicle" to carry my LF equipment ... if I was brave enough to go cycling with my LF gear.

spotmaticfanatic
12-Mar-2017, 17:28
I know this was taken up in the past but I'm still trying to decide.

I finally put together my touring bike (a Surly Disc Trucker). Here in the Philippines there are a lot of places that you can get to on a bicycle than in a car, plus you can easily stop on the side with your bike and photograph on the spot as opposed to parking and walking. So my choices for carrying a 4x5 would be panniers (like an Arkel Signature V), a porteur bag (like Surly Porteur House), or strap a photo bag (like the lowepro Magnum 650 AW) on the rack.

All three have their pros and cons so I was wondering what you guys think or suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Strapping a knapsack on a rack, preferably with cinch straps should be fine. I do this with my 5x7 kit:

Given that the Lowepro backpack I use is padded and the kit is tightly packed, I've had no issues with travelling like this.

My bicycle also happens to have running boards, which are handy for strapping the tripod to. However, having a tripod across your back isn't too bad.

macolive
12-Mar-2017, 17:54
Strapping a knapsack on a rack, preferably with cinch straps should be fine. I do this with my 5x7 kit:

Given that the Lowepro backpack I use is padded and the kit is tightly packed, I've had no issues with travelling like this.

My bicycle also happens to have running , which are handy for strapping the tripod to. However, having a tripod across your back isn't too bad.

Nice! That's a pretty long Chainstay...what bike is that?

spotmaticfanatic
14-Mar-2017, 05:36
It's a Yuba Mundo. Good for multitasking!

Vaughn
15-Mar-2017, 09:39
Just got back from a trip to Death Valley. Those dirt roads shook my camera gear far more than riding a bicycle on a road!

Nice Yuba -- I am going to half to get something like that (the Surlys sure are nice).

Sergio
18-Mar-2017, 09:59
Hi.

http://monowalker.com/shop/index.php/en/shop/trailer/monowalker-bicycletrailer-eng-detail

Vaughn
18-Mar-2017, 10:17
Trailers are a nice solution, but I am experiencally biased towards everything on the bike. I will have to try a couple different types of trailers some day (single and double wheeled).

macolive
19-Mar-2017, 03:16
Just got back from a trip to Death Valley. Those dirt roads shook my camera gear far more than riding a bicycle on a road!

Nice Yuba -- I am going to half to get something like that (the Surlys sure are nice).

Hi Vaughn,

Did you mean you rode a bicycke through Death Valley or were you in a car?

Vaughn
19-Mar-2017, 19:02
Hi Vaughn,

Did you mean you rode a bicycke through Death Valley or were you in a car?

While I saw lots of folks on bicycles in Death Valley, I was in my Eurovan rocking and a rolling on some of the back roads.