PDA

View Full Version : Grafmatic Backs Not Accepting Septums

JChrome
20-Feb-2017, 11:32
It's been awhile since I loaded my grafmatics. But when I had everything ready in my dark bag and got all the septums ready with film in them, I tried loading them back into the back. But for some reason they wouldn't fit.

This has happened to two of my backs now and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Here's a video illustrating the issue:

https://youtu.be/rId7lvjS9Pw

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jim Noel
20-Feb-2017, 11:53
WHich end of the septums are you putting in first?
The open end with the notch should be toward the dark slide opening, thus should go in first.

JChrome
20-Feb-2017, 12:13
WHich end of the septums are you putting in first?
The open end with the notch should be toward the dark slide opening, thus should go in first.

Thanks Jim.

I'm putting the end opposite the notch in first. We're you able to watch the video? If a picture is a thousand words then I'm hoping a video is a lot more :-)

IanG
20-Feb-2017, 12:29
A video won't show everything, I have 3 Wray Grafmatics, (Wray also made Packard Ideal shutters as well), the Septums need to be as new no distortions or te whole back won't work.

Ian

Kevin Crisp
20-Feb-2017, 13:34
The notch goes in first. And there is a sliding rectangular piece inside the space, that has to be pushed back out of the way first. It usually is there anyway, but not always.

jnantz
20-Feb-2017, 14:04
https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/grafmatic/

have fun!

Jim Andrada
20-Feb-2017, 20:20
Looked at the video - as others have said you have them backwards. Notched end goes in first.

JChrome
20-Feb-2017, 20:47
The notch goes in first. And there is a sliding rectangular piece inside the space, that has to be pushed back out of the way first. It usually is there anyway, but not always.

You're all 100% correct. In fact, inserting them the wrong way and then trying to pull them out ripped out a felt piece that goes on the top of one!

Sorry for the simple oversight. Thanks for the help!!