PDA

View Full Version : OLD shutter mechanics

Calamity Jane
6-Jun-2005, 15:15
I just received a BOOOOTIFUL old Bausch & Lomb "dual cylinder pheumatic" shutter with a 180mm 4.5 lens (ebay Item number: 7515787656) that's just the cat's meow for my Tintype work. The shutter is in pretty good shape, though it needs clean & lube. I have never had a chance to handle a shutter of this vintage and I have a some questions:

1 - Is the left hand cylinder the shutter release?

If a bulb and hose were connected to the bottom of this cylinder, I can see where it would trip the shutter. I can't see any other method to fire it . . .

2 - Does anybody know what the recommended grease is for the pneumatic cylinders?

This is a really NEAT piece of hardware! I look forward to getting it all polished up.

Ernest Purdum
6-Jun-2005, 16:46
Dear Calamity,

I'm a little confused. It sounds like you have a shutter with a missing release lever. Aside from some very simple models, B&L made two different shutters in the early days. There was the Diaphragm in which the shutter blades opened to a pre-selected aperture size, and the Unicum family. Unicums were often slightly modified for some camera maker and sold under their tradenames, "Wizard" or whatever.

In either instance, the release cylinder is on the left as you look at the front of the shutter. The Diaphragm has the finger release attached directly to the upper portion of the cylinder, while the Unicum's lever is just behind the cylinder and works on an arm between the cylinder and the round assembly at the top of the shutter.

Although I think some people have used various dry lubricants, my belief is that the timing cylinder should be clean and dry. In the release cylinder, I don't suppose it would matter.

When properly serviced, these are very reliable shutters. Someone is selling on eBay a booklet on the care and feeding of early shutters. Since I am writing to Calamity Jane, it is my assumption that you will want to do everything yourself, and the booklet might be helpful, I have one, but it is not at hand and I don't remember whether the early B&L's are covered.

If, as seems likely, you find you need parts, I quite possibly would have a parts shutter I would be willing to donate to a good cause.

I'll look up that eBay item number. Maybe I can tell you more after I see it.

Calamity Jane
6-Jun-2005, 17:31
The shutter is working well though I haven't tested the speeds yet.

The timing cylinder has been lubed with some kind of very light grease.

There is no release lever and no indication that there ever was one. It looks like the only activation was pneumatic.

The shutter is marked, on the speed ring:

"Bausch & Lomb Opt. Co.
Pat. Jan 8, 1891
New York
Rochester N.Y.
Chicago"

and has the number "2353" on the bottom.

Ernest Purdum
6-Jun-2005, 18:05
I'm very glad to hear that the shutter is working well, and congratulations on getting a Dagor at a very low price.

The shutter is the Diaphragm model. The manual release was an extension of the lever that goes between the release cylinder and the round assembly at the top of the shutter.

Jim Galli
7-Jun-2005, 12:55
Agree with Ernest that these cylinder / sleeves are normally very clean and dry for correct operation. Also if you hold that shutter up and look at a very bright source like the sun, you'll see a reddish glow. The blades arent completely opaque. It didn't matter to film that only saw blue if some red light was coming in. But it can fog panchromatic film. My little Calumet shutter tester will sit and run continuously with the blades closed there's so much light getting through. Tech spray up in the cocking and aperture dial area will free up 100 years of goo. Sounds like that's about all this one will need. 180 f4.5? That's no doppel anastigmat I've ever heard of. Dogmar?

Calamity Jane
7-Jun-2005, 13:00
Lens is marked:

DOPPEL - ANASTIGMAT D.P.R.No. 74437

C.P. GOERZ BERLIN

The 180 mm is my best guess. The 4.5, of course, comes from the shutter

RichSBV
7-Jun-2005, 13:34
Jane,

The LF Optical Reference does list _one_ Doppel Anastigmat, 7" (178mm) f/4 lens in a B&L shutter. Must not be that common because that's all the info listed...
If the 74437 is a serial number, it's from 1902-3...

Sounds like a fun lens!

Ole Tjugen
7-Jun-2005, 14:20
C. P. Goerz, Berlin (not B&L) made the Doppel-Anastigmat Serie Ib, 18cm f:4.5 at about that time. It was later named Celor. That is the only f:4.5 Goerz Doppel-Anastigmat I can find in my 1910 list.

Should be a fine lens, and can be used rear half only for longer focal length - but only at small apertures.

Calamity Jane
7-Jun-2005, 15:28
WAHOO a rare lens!

1902 is good for my time period, not that most folks would know the difference ;-)

Dan Fromm
7-Jun-2005, 16:01
Um, er, ah, DRP 74437 covers the Dagor. So the shutter's aperture scale is incorrect for the lens, which could well be f/7.7, might be f/6.8. According to the VM, the patent ran out in 1909 so the lens was probably made no later than then.

To make sure it is a Dagor, count reflections. There should be two strong reflections and two weak ones, the weak ones hard to see, from each cell. I suggest this because not long ago I foolishly bought a so-called Dagor that turned out to be a four element dialyte lens. Goerz, yes, Dagor, no.

Jane, are you sure your treasure has no serial number?

Cheers,

Dan

Calamity Jane
7-Jun-2005, 18:25
There's two elements in the front group and two elements (at least) in the rear group.

The only makings (that I can see) are on the front group and are those I quoted above.

I won't argue the f 4.5 but the lens is BRIGHT. The elements are 30 mm in diameter and, with the shutter open, it looks like a MASSIVE hole!

I don't really care what the lens is - I have it mounted on my Seroco 4x5 folder now and the image is SHARP and bright, even without a darkcloth. When I polish the brass and give it a clean & lube it'll also be GEORGOUS! :-)

Jim Rice
7-Jun-2005, 19:22
You guys are just too much fun.