PDA

View Full Version : Center filter for Grandagon 55 mm on 6x9 camera

Aender Brepsom
3-Jun-2005, 22:21
Hello,

is a center filter generally required when using a Grandagon 4.5/55 mm on a 6x9 camera with slide film?

Thank you!

George Hart
4-Jun-2005, 02:35
Änder, I have never noticed a need for a centre filter with this lens and 6x9 film. That's not to say that it might not arise, eg with large amounts of front rise. I haven't gone into why a centre filter seems unnecessary -- I have to use one with my 75 mm lens on 5x4 slide film. Maybe the fall-off curves are different with the Apo-Grandagon.

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2005, 06:58
Ander,

Only you can answer this question. With what you shoot and the way you shoot are you bathered by the fall off? Are you using a medium like a negative that will let you burn and dodge? Or can you control the lighting so the edges are overlit? Do you shoot scenes with mainly large open area of sky or sand across the frame?

Aender Brepsom
4-Jun-2005, 07:54
Hello,

I should have mentioned that I do not own a Grandagon 55 mm, but am planing to buy one.
I shoot landscapes and sometimes, there are large open areas of sky and/or sand across the frame.
Normally, I don't have to use a lot of movement, mostly front tilt. Until now, my largest lens is a 5.6/65 mm SA, and I never thought I needed a center filter for that one.

I will follow your advice and try to get the lens first and see if there is a problem with light fall off on my pictures before spending any money on a center filter.

Any suggestion where I could find a Grandagon 55 mm at a decent price?

Thank you!