PDA

View Full Version : Attaching filters to a 127mm f4.7 Ektar

Peter Collins
2-Jun-2005, 18:30
I have a 127mm Ektar with no thread in the front element's mount for attaching filters. I assume I need some kind of adapter. What is it called, what size do I need, and where is it sold?

Many thanks for helping me out!

Paul Fitzgerald
2-Jun-2005, 19:10
Hi there,

They are called Series 6 slip-on adapters, the 127 Ektar takes 38mm size. you would need the adapter, filter and retainer or lens shade.

Hope it's a help.

Jim Rice
2-Jun-2005, 19:18
Another option is to find a step-up ring whos inside diameter is slightlty larger than the outside diameter of the front barrel. Go to the drug store and get a 50 cent bag of rubber bands. use the rubber band as a 'gasket' to achieve an interference fit with the barrel. This option has the advantage of using standard mm filters.

Anthony Windsor
2-Jun-2005, 19:25
in a pinch, black photo tape and Wratten gels... or simply hold a filter in front.

Jim Rice
2-Jun-2005, 19:30
Anthony knows of which he speaks, too.

tim atherton
2-Jun-2005, 19:40
"Hi there,
They are called Series 6 slip-on adapters, the 127 Ektar takes 38mm size. you would need the adapter, filter and retainer or lens shade.

Hope it's a help."

You either need to hunt them down on ebay (and you then use series 6/VI fitlers) or in an alladins cave type camera store

There is a possibility I may have a spare - I've just moved. If I can find which box I'll have a look

David A. Goldfarb
2-Jun-2005, 21:41
For all my odd sized lenses, I like 3x3" square filters and a clip-on holder. The one I have was made by Voss and has two adjustable barn doors, and it cost something like $15 used. Also the Lee Gel Snap for 4x4" filters is an option for larger lenses.

Hiro
3-Jun-2005, 12:24
I hunted down a Series VI adapter and a 44-49mm step-up ring, and use regular screw-in filters on 203mm Ektar. 44mm is an odd size and I've read the thread on Series adapters is non-standard (unconfirmed), but the step-up ring I found on the web (can't find the link now) works fine.

A variation of Jim's rubber-band method would be to epoxy a step-up ring or a filter ring (remove the glass of an old/cheap UV) to the Series adapter or even directly to the barrel.

Sources of Series adapters would be eBay, bargain bins of local camera stores and at camera shows (exchanges), etc. Equinox (http://www.equinoxphotographic.com/) and other online places that deal with odds and ends probably have some. In addition to Kodak, there are Series-compatible adapters and filters from Ednalite, Enteco, Tiffen, Albert, etc.

BTW, Kodak adapters are high-precision parts. If someone tells you a 37.5mm Series adapter will fit a 38mm barrel, don't believe it. I've tried, and it didn't fit.