PDA

View Full Version : Using a Sinar Copal shutter with lens attached to front of shutter.

Greg
8-Feb-2017, 16:58
Using a self-made plastic spacing adapter, I am able to use my Sinar Copal shutter in front of my Chamonix's front standard with a lens mounted on the front of the shutter. Up to now only with (Multiphot) Micro Nikons that don't weigh enough to stress the shutter. Recently borrowed a large lens which was amazingly for it's size mounted on a custom Sinar lens board. Mounted it onto the front of the shutter but also mounted a "custom" supporter bracket based on part of a Sinar auxiliary standard to support it which is easily done on a Charmonix with it's multi female row of threaded "nuts" in its baseboard..

I know the Sinar shutter was designed to be used behind the Sinar's front standard but does anyone have any info on what the maximum weight of an optic to be mounted in front of the shutter would be? Or has anyone had any experience mounting lenses on the front of a Sinar Copal shutter?

In any case, a China seller on that auction site has been offering a metal adapter for mounting a Sinar shutter on the front of a Chamonix which I am seriously considering obtaining... again my adapter is a home made plastic one.

thanks

William Whitaker
8-Feb-2017, 17:11
Just an offhand observation...
The shutter doesn't know where the front standard is. Nor does it care. It can work in front of the standard as well as behind just as would a hat or a stout card to block the light.
In the interest of full disclosure I will offer that I have never mounted a lens to the front of a Sinar/Copal shutter. My biggest concern with such would be to know that the lens is adequately supported throughout the gyrations of making the photograph. So run with it!

Peter De Smidt
8-Feb-2017, 18:50
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpp9dq0xsekytcm/Sinar_Shutter.jpg?raw=1

The Collinear isn't all that light, and I had no problem mounting on the front of a Sinar Shutter. At some point, of course, there will be a problem, but there's no good way to test when that would be.

RSalles
9-Feb-2017, 05:42
Peter,

Wait a minute, your lens is mounted in front of the front standard, not in front of the shutter itself - or I misunderstood the purpose of the thread,

Cheers,

Renato

Peter De Smidt
9-Feb-2017, 07:44
It goes standard>shutter>adapter>lens. Isn't that similar to what is being suggested here? The shutter is carrying all of the weight of the adapter and lens.

Greg
9-Feb-2017, 07:51
It goes standard>shutter>adapter>lens. Isn't that similar to what is being suggested here? The shutter is carrying all of the weight of the adapter and lens.

On my Chamonix it's:

front standard>adapter>shutter>lens mounted on Sinar lens board

the adapter is needed to clear the shutter from the 2 front standard's knobs.

Unfortunately the rear of the front standard is not Sinar board friendly like on Sinar cameras...

RSalles
9-Feb-2017, 09:00
Yes, it is. Is your adapter made of part of a Sinar front standard?

Greg
9-Feb-2017, 09:23

Here's a picture of my home made adapter. It's made of 2 plastic Sinar frames (replacements for each end of a 4x5 Sinar bellows) glued back to back, Then in front is a modified Sinar Norma auxiliary standard minus the vertical rails on each side. My worry is that the 2 plastic pieces glued back to back is the Achilles Heal of the adapter. The plastic pieces were made to only support the weight of a bellows.

Dan Fromm
9-Feb-2017, 09:38
Greg, this may seem stupid but if there's room for it on the camera bed you might use an inexpensive lab jack to support the lens. If there's room. Cheap, cheerful and because height is adjustable not lens-specific. I used one to support my failed Baby Bertha's Graflex SLR module.

Peter De Smidt
9-Feb-2017, 10:46

I don't remember if it was a front or rear standard, but yes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/600wbbv1uh9m7bx/Side.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97pl3dbvgk95cqw/sinar_shutter_45.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yujmkrr4v8818fn/Sinar_Shutter_Plate.jpg?raw=1

I like Dan's idea for heavy lenses.

RSalles
9-Feb-2017, 14:12
It's a bad news these Sinar Copal shutters aren't made anymore as they're incredible useful. If I see a chance to get a folding camera in the future my first choice would be a model with compatibility between lens boards.

Cheers,

Renato