PDA

View Full Version : Problem mounting Ilex #5 shutter to lensboard - doesn't stay tight

axs810
25-Jan-2017, 17:35
I'm having a problem mounting an Ilex #5 shutter to a 6x6 lens board. I've already drilled holes for the flange and have it screwed onto the lens board but when I screw the lens onto the flange it doesn't screw tight. It looks to me like there is about maybe 1mm of wiggle room if I move the lens when it's screwed onto the lens board. I bought this lens from Igor Camera and it came with the flange so I assume it's original. I hope it is...anyways what can I do to securely lock my lens onto the flange? Would teflon tape be enough to hold it?

Kevin Crisp
25-Jan-2017, 18:03
Some flanges are so close to right that things screw in a fair distance then jam. Can't tell if you mean by 'wiggle room' that it is physically loose when fully seated as it stops 1 mm short or just that it stops short but isn't flush. If that is the problem you might flip the flange over to the inside of the lens board and use the thickness of the board to eliminate that gap.

Leigh
25-Jan-2017, 18:16
Is the flange on the rear of the lensboard, as it should be?

- Leigh

axs810
25-Jan-2017, 18:23
I thought the retaining rings were the ones that go on the back of the lens board? What I have I believe is a flange...I drilled 4 holes to screw it onto the front (like I've seen elsewhere on this forum) and screwed the lens onto that. The flange mounted onto the lens board is solid but when I screw the lens onto the flange there is the smallest amount of wiggle room around the threads and it's screwed in all the way. When it's screwed in all the way onto the flange there isn't even the slightest amount of tension.

I was impatient and tried teflon tape...seemed to work I put quiet a bit on and made sure the lens screwed down tightly then removed excess teflon tape on the inside threads of the lens board. My only concern is because my Kodak Commercial Ektar 14inch on Ilex #5 shutter is so heavy...should I be worried? Personally I don't think it'll be a problem because it seems tight now after using teflon tape but I honestly can't tell if this flange is the correct size or not. I assumed it would be since I bought the lens off Igor Camera

When I tried having it on the back like you suggested it makes it so the aperture control dial can't move but the lens still isn't tight onto the board.

Leigh
25-Jan-2017, 18:43
When I tried having it on the back like you suggested it makes it so the aperture control dial can't move but the lens still isn't tight onto the board.
Sorry, but I have no further suggestions.

I've only mounted a few Ilex shutters, as I suggested, and they worked.

- Leigh

Luis-F-S
25-Jan-2017, 18:54
My only concern is because my Kodak Commercial Ektar 14inch on Ilex #5 shutter is so heavy...should I be worried? Personally I don't think it'll be a problem because it seems tight now after using teflon tape but I honestly can't tell if this flange is the correct size or not.

Was the flange tight against the shutter before you mounted it? It should take several turns for the lens to come off by which time you'd notice it so you should be fine.

axs810
25-Jan-2017, 18:55
I used some teflon tape to help bridge the wiggle room in the threads when it's screwed onto the flange all the way. The lens seems secure now but I'm unsure if this is a good idea since the lens is quite heavy...I don't think it should be a problem because I used enough teflon (like 4-5 wraps) to get it really snug onto the flange. I'm just curious if anyone would have any comments on why this might not be a good idea in the long run?

I feel like the flange that came with the lens from Igor Camera is the correct one but since there is just the smallest amount of wiggle room once screwed down all the way it makes me question if I might end up ruining the threads somehow because of the weight of the lens? Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm not too good with this kind of stuff.

axs810
25-Jan-2017, 18:58
Was the flange tight against the shutter before you mounted it? It should take several turns for the lens to come off by which time you'd notice it so you should be fine.

Sorry my previous post was made before I saw your comment.

I'm not worried about it coming unscrewed necessarily but having the weight of the lens *maybe* ruining the threads and having the lens just fall off the flange. I mean I doubt this would happen but I don't know how soft or hard these threads are...I'm afraid of it getting stripped because of the 1mm-ish wiggle room when the lens is screwed all the way onto the flange.

Leigh
25-Jan-2017, 19:11
You need to stop talking about "wiggle room". That's not a defined attribute.

Are you talking about axial play or lateral play or rotational play?

- Leigh

axs810
25-Jan-2017, 19:19
The best I can describe it is this -

When I have the lens screwed all the way down on the flange I can look from the back side and while holding the lens board I can move the lens slightly in all directions by what I think is 1mm. It's just enough to not be tight but it's not so bad to where I can see the top edge of the threads on the lens.

Kevin Crisp
25-Jan-2017, 19:30
Sounds like the flange is a little bit bigger than it should be.

Keith Fleming
25-Jan-2017, 19:56
I would try reversing the flange on the lens board. If it doesn't work, nothing lost. But I have one lens that was a better fit once I reversed the flange.

Keith Fleming
25-Jan-2017, 19:58
OOOPS! I didn't read Kevin's post before hitting my "send" button.

Keith

tgtaylor
25-Jan-2017, 21:17
This may or may not help but a few years back I had SK Grimes mount a 610mm apo Nikkor in an Ilex #5 Universal shutter. Looking at it the flange, or the ring with the mounting screws, is flush with the Toyo board and the mounting screws are flush with the back of the board. I imaging that he trimmed them off that way. There is a small space - maybe 2 mm - between the flange and the shutter on the front element. On the backside the retainer is flush with the board followed by a space of maybe 2 or 3mm before the main body of the rear element. There is no movement of either the front or the back element.

Thomas

Keith Pitman
25-Jan-2017, 22:59
A couple of thoughts: Did the flange tighten all the way down on the lens before you screwed the flange to the lensboard? If yes, maybe the flange is not screwed to the lensboard correctly and is twisted "out of round" and the lens is binding when you try to screw into the flange on the lensboard. I think the place to start is to remove the flange and see it will screw down completely to the lens.

Another question: Do you have a metal or a wood lensboard? If it's wood, is the lensboard warped?

axs810
25-Jan-2017, 23:17
A couple of thoughts: Did the flange tighten all the way down on the lens before you screwed the flange to the lensboard? If yes, maybe the flange is not screwed to the lensboard correctly and is twisted "out of round" and the lens is binding when you try to screw into the flange on the lensboard. I think the place to start is to remove the flange and see it will screw down completely to the lens.

Another question: Do you have a metal or a wood lensboard? If it's wood, is the lensboard warped?

Yes the flange screwed all the way down on the lens when it wasn't attached to the lens board. But it was always super easy to unscrew off. If I compare it to other lenses I never felt that small amount of friction towards the last twist knowing it was on tight. The flange I have on the Ilex #5 just screws all the way down there's no real feeling of any tightness towards the last twist.

The lens board is brand new and in very good condition. Made of solid maple wood. The flange is on the lens board correctly and the screws are flush. It honestly seems like the threads on the lens/shutter might be worn down but I don't have another Kodak Commercial Ektar 14 inch to compare it to.

I used teflon tape (about 5 wraps or so) and screwed the lens onto the lensboard/flange and got a snug fit with enough teflon tape. My only worry is having the weight of the lens putting pressure on the threads...I know it should be fine but I worry I might strip it or something because this lens is so heavy. I'm used to teching paintball markers but I have never used teflon this way so I dont know if I am putting stress on any part of the lens. It's mounted now because the teflon tape but again I just don't want to damage this lens

Luis-F-S
26-Jan-2017, 07:14
As I see it, you have 3 oprions: send the lens back, or send it to SKG to have a correct custom mounting flange machined, or you can do nothing and just keep worrying. (hint: I'd do the second one if you like the lens) L

axs810
26-Jan-2017, 11:34
As I see it, you have 3 oprions: send the lens back, or send it to SKG to have a correct custom mounting flange machined, or you can do nothing and just keep worrying. (hint: I'd do the second one if you like the lens) L

Yeah...looks like I'm going to go for that option.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience with me! Thank you