PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Arca Swiss model B parts

Ashishwakhlu
23-Jan-2017, 23:03
Dear Mr Kurt,

I have just bought an Arca Swiss Model B, it is a lovely camera. I need some information regarding parts, please help as I am not sure if there is an Arca Swiss Dealer in India.

1) what adapter is to be used to attach a Hasselblad V digital back to the Arca Swiss.

2) What is the part number of the Rear function carrier to convert this camera to 8X10

3) is it OK to use a Grafmatic multi shot film carrier with this camera (it feels tight on inserting and removing) or should I change to a two shot film holder.

many thanks and regards

Ashish Wakhlu

Oren Grad
23-Jan-2017, 23:51
I've moved this new post from an ancient and unrelated thread into a thread of its own.

B.S.Kumar
24-Jan-2017, 00:28
Hi Ashish,
Welcome to LFF!

I'm not sure who Mr. Kurt is, because the thread got moved. But for Arca related queries, you'd best talk to Rod Klukas at rodklukas.com who is the US representative for Arca-Swiss. I don't think there's an Arca-Swiss dealer in India.

1. I'm not sure attaching a digital back to this camera is a good idea, but if you must, and if your camera has a Graflok back, you can get a Graflok>Hasselblad adapter on eBay.

2. I don't know this, but ping Rod or Kerry Thalmann on this forum and they should be able to help you.

3. Grafmatics slide in like a regular film holder, or can be held in place with the sliders. See this page https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/holders/ where he says to insert washers below the springs, if necessary.

Good luck.

Kumar

Ashishwakhlu
24-Jan-2017, 20:08
Dear Kumar,

thank you very much, First please accept my congratulations on your website and lovely pictures. Japan is a photographers dream country. Now as you have so kindly helped some more questions!

1) I think the camera has a braflok back, but the insert which fits into the camera is square 170mm (like the lens board) and all the adapters I have seen on eBay have rectangular inserts hence the problem.

I will act on your other suggestions and update.

kind regards

Ashish

B.S.Kumar
24-Jan-2017, 20:30
Thank you for the kind words. The site is log overdue for an update - I simply don't have the time now.

Why do you "think" it has a Graflok back? If your Arca back has the sliders like the ones shown in the link above, it is a Graflok back. Maybe a photo or two would help.

Kumar

Ashishwakhlu
25-Jan-2017, 07:56
Hi Kumar,

I tried to attach photos but files too large, can you send your e mail please.

thanks

Ashish

B.S.Kumar
25-Jan-2017, 08:17
Click on my username, and you'll get a pop-up with Send E-mail as an option.

Looking at the photo, it's not very clear whether it is a Graflok back. Are there any sliders that will let you remove only the ground glass frame - not the whole back? If yes, your camera has a Graflok back. Otherwise it's a spring back. Read Jo Lommen's page again to see how to use a Grafmatic.

Kumar

Ashishwakhlu
25-Jan-2017, 18:10
Hi Kumar,

there are no sliders to remove only the ground glass, it is a spring back160390

B.S.Kumar
25-Jan-2017, 18:25
In which case, follow the advice on Jo Lommen's page. Or see if you can get a Graflok back - which you would need in any case to attach your digital back. I'm not sure how much the Graflok back would cost.

Kumar

Ashishwakhlu
25-Jan-2017, 19:32
OK

will check Braflok back for Arca Swiss B

thanks

Ashish

Louis Pacilla
28-Jan-2017, 08:51
Dear Kumar,

1) I think the camera has a braflok back, but the insert which fits into the camera is square 170mm (like the lens board) and all the adapters I have seen on eBay have rectangular inserts hence the problem.

kind regards

Ashish

OK

will check Braflok back for Arca Swiss B

thanks

Ashish

Hi Ashish and welcome!

Maybe this is through a translator program that you continue to post the back as "Braflok" back. So for your information this style of back was designed originally by Graflex Corporation in Rochester NY hence the name Graflok back ,Graphic back ,Graflex back. all three being designed by Graflex Corporation and all using a different why to attach the holders to the camera.

So that you do not run into trouble when searching for one remember it's """Graflok back""" not """Braflok back"""

Ashishwakhlu
28-Jan-2017, 20:06
Hi Louis,

thank you very much, actually I am not using a translator, it is a typographical error, for some odd reason when I type "graflok" on my macbook pro it automatically changes to "braflok"!! I don't know why at all. I only saw the mistake after posting the message and was too lazy to edit and correct it! also I though Kumar would get the idea and really did not know anyone else was bothered about my request. So thank you again.

best

Ashish

EdSawyer
31-Jan-2017, 07:05
Graflok back is going to be somewhat challenging to find. Grafmatics can fit in there, as you have found, but it's a tight squeeze. With some DIY effort you can extend the range of the springs to allow an easier fitment but would require some effort to engineer that. I have a similar spring back for my Arca Reflex, and couldn't find a Graflok back for it, so I made my own from a Graflex Graflok back from a speed graphic.