PDA

View Full Version : INTREPID CAMERA 4X5 Gen 2 Users & Reviews

Tin Can
23-Jan-2017, 07:50
The first batch of 123 Gen 3 INTREPID 4X5 (https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/) camera has shipped, with one received here.

Took about 10 weeks from order. It seems to be a big improvement over the Kickstarter Gen 2 which I have not seen in hand.

Just unboxed and it is impressively lightweight, yet both sturdy and fragile. It weighs 2 Lbs on my scale. It could have been lighter if they had omitted the very nice rotating back, which is like a Linhof in operation.

The GG frame IS clamped with stretch cord. It works fine. The GG appears to be plastic and very bright.

The red bellows is the nicest thing about it. And the rest is very nice!

More later.

Anybody else have one?

Moderator's Note: At the OP's request, and reflecting information posted by the manufacturer of these cameras, the title of this thread has been corrected to clarify that the discussion is about the second-generation version of the camera, not the third, which as of this writing has not yet been released.

Steven Tribe
23-Jan-2017, 08:47
No, but I am far more impressed by the materials/simplicity of design than any other recent project I have seen.

As we have seen with other projects, production of "plastic" parts can be a risky business, whilst laminated wood parts are rock solid and can be made locally with simple and widespread technology. Any rumours of a 8x10 or larger?

Tin Can
23-Jan-2017, 09:01
I don't know, check them and sign up for the Blog.

It does look like they plan to be an evolving affair.

For USA, VAT is dropped, making it cost less delivered than List price.

Dan Fromm
23-Jan-2017, 10:06
Interesting. FWIW, the Intrepid site shows Gen 2 cameras, doesn't seem to mention Gen 3.

Tin Can
23-Jan-2017, 10:25
Interesting. FWIW, the Intrepid site shows Gen 2 cameras, doesn't seem to mention Gen 3.

They made a Gen 1 prototype, then a production Gen 2 KS run, which many here bought.

So I call this Gen 3.

Corran
23-Jan-2017, 10:36
After seeing them online, the price/weight, and the capabilities, I have been intrigued. I like that they've cut the weight so much. It's an ugly camera (the wood part) but whatever. I wish they had a cut-down version for 2x3 and/or ultrawide 4x5 (47-250mm lenses preferred) but that's just me. Might buy one sometime to try out as I'm not sold on the new Chamonix cameras (Chamonixes?)

Dan Fromm
23-Jan-2017, 11:16
They made a Gen 1 prototype, then a production Gen 2 KS run, which many here bought.

So I call this Gen 3.

Speak for yourself, not for the Intrepid folks.

djdister
23-Jan-2017, 11:48
No, but I am far more impressed by the materials/simplicity of design than any other recent project I have seen.

As we have seen with other projects, production of "plastic" parts can be a risky business, whilst laminated wood parts are rock solid and can be made locally with simple and widespread technology. Any rumours of a 8x10 or larger?

I don't fully agree with your disdain for "plastic" bodies...

Graham Patterson
23-Jan-2017, 13:43
Their FAQ suggests that there may be an 8x10 in 2017. Worth keeping an eye on them, I think.

Steven Tribe
23-Jan-2017, 14:51

I don't have any problem (And certainly no disdain for ..) for synthetic materials. I was just saying that simple construction, using readily available materials and simple manufacturing processes makes sense, when production quantities are always going to be low. And, of course, the price will encourage new entrants.

JamesCookPhoto
24-Jan-2017, 18:43
Received my V2 Intrepid 4x5 yesterday after a 12 week wait from order to delivery. Was meant to be 8 according to the ordering page when I placed the order. Meh - what's one extra month. I'm presently surprised but the camera i'm holding in my hands. It appears to be free of any of the issues mentioned in the previous generation.
The wood is much better quality than I thought it would be. I expected it to be rough particularly at the cuts, but they've obviously tidied their production somewhat. Smooth on all the surfaces, edges are firm but not razor sharp.
Bellows are great. Perfectly light tight from what I can gather. I've been all over them with the brightest torch I own, trying to find any pinholes with nothing to be found. Nicely supple with movement, I imagine I'll lose lens coverage before I max out movements.
Focus racking is smooth and precise.
Only sticking point I've found at this point is inserting film holders stick about 1cm from full depth, I imagine because everything is brand new. A gentle push and they drop into place. Give it a few weeks and I don't envision this being a long term issue.
Its light beyond belief. Weighs in at 924g or just over 32oz, body only [no lens or film holder]. As a comparison, my Mamiya 645 Pro TL body and viewfinder is 850g or just under 30 oz [no lens or film back].
I'm very happy with my acquisition. And at this stage I could only recommend it. I'll add more things here as I gain experience.

mfoot
26-Jan-2017, 00:42
I've received mine as well, which I intend to use primarily while hiking (initially the West Highland Way (http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/home.asp)). I currently have a Sinar Norma and this is much, much, much lighter and so much smaller to pack down into a backpack. Will be testing the camera this weekend.

So far I'm also impressed. It's a little fiddly to screw in the front standard, but it's still quick. I too have experienced the film holder not sliding all the way in, but as James said, a little tap fixes it.

Charles S
27-Jan-2017, 02:12
Their FAQ suggests that there may be an 8x10 in 2017. Worth keeping an eye on them, I think.

Here is an image of the prototype on their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/theintrepidcameraco/posts/1839956512910313:0

Leszek Vogt
27-Jan-2017, 02:28
Has anyone run any IR film through it ?

Les

Steven Tribe
27-Jan-2017, 11:08
Base looks a lot like the Lancaster. Is the lens board size the same as Sinar - thinking about the Sinar/Copal shutter with barrel lenses?

locutus
27-Jan-2017, 11:24
Here is an image of the prototype on their FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/theintrepidcameraco/posts/1839956512910313:0

At the right price i might be tempted by the 8x10.

I think the 5x4 hit a strange spot of being in a field were for a bit more you could already get a wooden folder second hand. A 8x10 might actually do much better as those go for far more relatively speaking.

Lets see, if it ends up about 400 euros i think they might hit a really good selling point.

Steven Tribe
28-Jan-2017, 08:59
Here is a review.

http://istillshootfilm.org/post/154811037579/intrepid-4x5-camera-review

Unfortunately, a photo shows a lens board with the unmistakable badge of the Linhof company. A bit small for an 8x10 lensboard and no sinar/copal shutter opportunities.

Reading some other comments, I am surprised that there is doubt about the stability/strength of birch ply - it far exceeds traditional hardwood construction. Perhaps they could do a de luze version with a final hardwood layer?

EdWorkman
28-Jan-2017, 10:22
Birch plywood is used in construction of buildings as re-usable formwork for poured concrete.
"Regular" plywood is damaged by pouring processes and form stripping, such that as re-use increases so does 'patching and sacking' to bring the concrete finish into conformance.
Birch provides many more re-uses and less remedial work.
The large number of thin, perpendicular grain oriented plies make the material in the pix hell for strong and much more capable to hold screws than traditional solid wood..
Of course if the exposed edges are aesthetically repugnant one could paint the plywood pieces- say a traditional gray

EdWorkman
28-Jan-2017, 10:26
Steven- see the other pic [ reiterated in post 16 just above yours] of the 8x10 prototype. It shows a big lensboard , at least 6x6, maybe more

steve_p
6-Feb-2017, 01:20
I ordered one of these cameras a few weeks ago to serve as an introduction to LF photography. The selling point for me was the weight of the camera. For fifteen mile hikes in the Scottish Highlands I need as light a camera as possible.

Max Grew
6-Feb-2017, 06:21
Alan Brock has put a review on youtube, worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0L8QMrlnyE

vnukov_pk
15-Feb-2017, 07:43
Bought this camera not so long ago. I wonder if anybody tried to recoat plywood parts with some kind of a water resistant coating? what would you suggest?

MAubrey
15-Feb-2017, 08:22
Bought this camera not so long ago. I wonder if anybody tried to recoat plywood parts with some kind of a water resistant coating? what would you suggest?

According to Intrepid's website FAQ, it already has a weather resistant coating.

kabbott
15-Feb-2017, 09:12
I have this camera as well and have certainly wondered what it would take to remove the water resistant coating that is already there and replace it with something like Teak Oil. Anyone have thoughts on that? I haven't subjected this camera to too much weather yet, so I'm not sure how well the current water resistant coating will hold up.

Tin Can
15-Feb-2017, 10:13
Let's add the giveaway video here. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?137179-The-Intrepid-Camera-4x5-(Review-Giveaway)

FREE INTREPID DRAWING VIDEO
(https://youtu.be/ufyY2O8CktU)

I have a couple points to add to the video review.

Inside there are a couple bare, meaning not blackened surfaces, I did what I could with magic marker.

The GG removes quickly to add a roll film back mount after you have focused.

A 360 mm Tele lens is easily fitted and will also focus to 9 ft or less. I prefer to not find the limit.

The notch described in the video places the front frame at almost the right place for the almost standard Linhof drop center lensboard.

Use a Golf umbrella in the Rain. Keep your powder (film) dry...

Pics permanantly posted.

MAubrey
15-Feb-2017, 10:28
Let's add the giveaway video here. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?137179-The-Intrepid-Camera-4x5-(Review-Giveaway)
Inside there are a couple bare, meaning not blackened surfaces, I did what I could with magic marker.

If I may...you'll get good results with something like this: http://amzn.to/2lk7mAK

Tin Can
15-Feb-2017, 10:31
If I may...you'll get good results with something like this: http://amzn.to/2lk7mAK

Yes, there are many ways to blacken, next I will try India Ink with an actual paint brush to reach the corners.

The flash made the Magic Marker look lighter.

AuditorOne
15-Feb-2017, 12:51
I have the Kickstarter 4x5, which is a bit different than Gen 2. It is a very well built camera and works quite well in the field. It is very light and my el cheapo Slik tripod holds it in place perfectly.

Of course, like most cameras, the operator and the lens make the image. If you are inclined to hike into the outback but are not interested in packing a heavy camera, this one will certainly bring back the goods if you do your part.

Finally, if you are interested in getting into large format this is a wonderful way to do it without robbing the rent.

I used this on a project along the immigrant trail in Nevada last May and June. It performed perfectly. I also carried a very nice ROC Empire State 8x10 that is pretty light for its size. But, the little Intrepid was the camera I grabbed most frequently since it was much easier to carry on the trail.

vnukov_pk
16-Feb-2017, 21:55
According to Intrepid's website FAQ, it already has a weather resistant coating.

Yes, I have seen FAQ page, but I wonder if this coating is enough for our cold and damp climate

MAubrey
17-Feb-2017, 07:53
Yes, I have seen FAQ page, but I wonder if this coating is enough for our cold and damp climate

It might be worth contacting them to ask about the nature of the coating. At the very least, the UK is a very damp place, albeit not super cold.

Tin Can
17-Feb-2017, 08:19
One interesting thing about current shipping Intrepids is they include no literature of any kind.

No invoice.

No Business card.

No instructions.

No written warranty.

No URL.

The camera body has a barely visible burnt/pressing on the bottom that says, 'The Intrepid Camera'. In the wrong light, I don't even see it.

Subtle.

Tobias Key
17-Feb-2017, 08:33
One interesting thing about current shipping Intrepids is they include no literature of any kind.

No invoice.

No Business card.

No instructions.

No written warranty.

No URL.

The camera body has a barely visible burnt/pressing on the bottom that says, 'The Intrepid Camera'. In the wrong light, I don't even see it.

Subtle.

I must admit I have been looking at these cameras and the one big plus point for me is I live 1/2 hour from their workshop.

vnukov_pk
17-Feb-2017, 21:39
It might be worth contacting them to ask about the nature of the coating. At the very least, the UK is a very damp place, albeit not super cold.

Done that a week ago twice. Have yet to hear from them back. Seems that they ignore emails and pms on facebook.

Max Grew
18-Feb-2017, 09:44

No invoice.

No Business card.

No instructions.

No written warranty.

No URL.

Subtle.

Hi Randy, The invoice and instructions are emailed out, no sense in wasting paper, can send you a physical copy if you need one though. we are working on putting something formal together for a warranty but as it stands the deal is we will fix the camera for as long as you have it, if you broke it you pay shipping, if its a manufacturing issue we pay shipping, simple as that really, only thing that we can't replace or repair for free is the ground glass. We are a small company so can all ways just talk about things and come to a fair arrangement with any repairs.

Done that a week ago twice. Have yet to hear from them back. Seems that they ignore emails and pms on facebook.

Hello, sorry we have not got back to you, we have had loads of interest from people over the last couple of weeks which is great but it means we are behind on emails, the coating is OSMO Polyx Oil, its a very high quality and well regarded wax oil mixture. we have had no problems with it in damp weather and a lot of UK carpenters swear by the stuff.

Happy to stick around in this post and answer any questions people have about the Camera,

Best, Maxim (guy who started Intrepid Camera)

mdarnton
18-Feb-2017, 09:59
I'm waiting eagerly to see the 8x10. What I'd like (not a deal-killer, though) is a no-finish option. Then I'd finish mine entirely in black. With an anything-repelling oil/wax finish, you're stuck with "wood" forever.

locutus
18-Feb-2017, 10:16
Happy to stick around in this post and answer any questions people have about the Camera

Let me chip in on this question, any teasers on the Intrepid 8x10 rumours? :-)

Max Grew
18-Feb-2017, 10:32
Sure! so here is what is fairly certain so far

- 2.2kg
- 311mm x 311mm x 74mm folded
- More that adequate front movements
- 35° rear tilt (both directions)
- Max bellows 600mm
- Min bellows 100mm
- Sinar lens board mount
- between £425 - £500

We have some photos up of the prototype on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/theintrepidcameraco/) but here is the best one

We are looking to launch the camera towards the end of March, hopefully a bit sooner.

Graham Patterson
18-Feb-2017, 13:59
Nice to see bi-directional rear tilt. It can really help when you don't have a lot of lens coverage to spare. Time to start saving...!

Steven Tribe
18-Feb-2017, 15:13
Good to see you (Max) here!

Sinar sized front standard is excellent.

Framed bellows with latch fitment front and back (like Sinar bellows) would be nice. An extra, perhaps? And you would improve your environment in the workshop without glue fumes.
We, who use lenses without shutters, could use the Copal/Sinar shutter which we already have.

Hope you solve the taper bellows folding challenges of the 8x10.

Max Grew
18-Feb-2017, 15:59
Hi Steven, thanks for the welcome,

We were not planning on having framed bellows, the way we do it now is completely light tight and whilst the fumes from contact glue can be a bit annoying its a small price to pay to keep the part count down! It is something we could look at though, is there much of an advantage to framed bellows?

we have done a few iterations of the bellows now and the camera folds down very nicely, there must be a magic ratio somewhere for the front to fold perfectly into the back, so they compress to the thickness of one rib, we were lucky enough to get it on the third go though!

seezee
18-Feb-2017, 16:10
Hi Steven, thanks for the welcome,

We were not planning on having framed bellows, the way we do it now is completely light tight and whilst the fumes from contact glue can be a bit annoying its a small price to pay to keep the part count down! It is something we could look at though, is there much of an advantage to framed bellows?

As Steven noted, it would allow placement of a shutter (Sinar or Packard) behind the front standard so we could use with "in barrel" lenses.

Steven Tribe
18-Feb-2017, 16:28
Latched and framed bellows means you can use bag bellows for wide-angled lenses, sell extra bellows (especialy if the rear is the same as on the many, many Sinars around) sometime in the future. Remember your cameras will still be around in a hundred year - they are not use and throw away products.

I am sure you use all your energies on getting the camera right just now, but don't forget that many products can be good revenue earners in the accessories department. Especialy when you are keeping the first purchase price so low!

I can only see a single danger in your present project. This is the bellows. There is lot of experience here in LFPF about bellows that went wrong due to materials that just didn't stand up to use, damp, UV light or didn't exclude all light frequences that can register on the emulsion. Some of these were bought and some were homemade. But there has been complete agreement with the good performance of bellows (and materials used) from Custom Bellows ( i think that is the name?) in the UK.

If you stick (pun!) to glue, PLEASE use a water soluble glue. Contact glue is well nigh impossible to repair and remove.

rfesk
18-Feb-2017, 19:10
I believe a 5X7 Intrepid would be great and have more buyers that an 8X10.

Fred L
18-Feb-2017, 20:26
£500 is extremely attractive for a second lighter, less movements needed, camera. unfinished would be a good option.

Max Grew
19-Feb-2017, 03:32
I can only see a single danger in your present project. This is the bellows. There is lot of experience here in LFPF about bellows that went wrong due to materials that just didn't stand up to use, damp, UV light or didn't exclude all light frequences that can register on the emulsion. Some of these were bought and some were homemade. But there has been complete agreement with the good performance of bellows (and materials used) from Custom Bellows

We have had a quote from custom bellows before right at the early stages of our 4x5 production but it was something like 10x the cost of doing it ourselves, they do make great bellows though. Ours from a materials point of view are quite different, we have had a lot of compliments on the bellows from our 800 shipped 4x5s and you will be glad to hear the 8x10 ones use a similar design and the same materials, the outer layer is water resistant with a double light proof layer on the inside. We have had no reports of any issues with UV but I should have a tech sheet for the fabric somewhere that I can dig out and see exactly what wave lengths is blocks.

januarys_v
19-Feb-2017, 06:48
Hi!
a simple question from a potential newbie, would any 4x5 film holder fit the Intrepid just fine or some do better then others?
thanks!

vnukov_pk
19-Feb-2017, 10:23
Hello, sorry we have not got back to you, we have had loads of interest from people over the last couple of weeks which is great but it means we are behind on emails, the coating is OSMO Polyx Oil, its a very high quality and well regarded wax oil mixture. we have had no problems with it in damp weather and a lot of UK carpenters swear by the stuff.

Happy to stick around in this post and answer any questions people have about the Camera,

Best, Maxim (guy who started Intrepid Camera)
Maxim, thank you for the answer. Just had a chance to test the camera in windy/snow conditions. Have to say it withstood the weather without any problems. Dried it afterwards, jst in case.

Max Grew
19-Feb-2017, 14:16
Hi!
a simple question from a potential newbie, would any 4x5 film holder fit the Intrepid just fine or some do better then others?
thanks!

Hello! yes any 4x5 film holder will fit the Intrepid 4x5, personally I find the fidelity elite holders to be the best, you can also use instant film holders and roll film holders that work with Graflok backs

vnukov_pk
20-Feb-2017, 00:16
Hello! yes any 4x5 film holder will fit the Intrepid 4x5, personally I find the fidelity elite holders to be the best, you can also use instant film holders and roll film holders that work with Graflok backs
I even tried some 9x12 film holders, they also fit quite well.

barnacle
20-Feb-2017, 11:59
Maxim - a bit off the wall - but would you sell a set or two of the bellows alone? There are a number of us here building our own cameras (I'm a 4x5 type myself) and bellows are *always* the hard part!

Neil

Steven Tribe
20-Feb-2017, 12:36
Maxim - a bit off the wall - but would you sell a set or two of the bellows alone? There are a number of us here building our own cameras (I'm a 4x5 type myself) and bellows are *always* the hard part!

Neil

....and "1/10th the price of Custom Bellows" and a choice of colours!

SM_Studio
26-Feb-2017, 06:40
An 8x10 prototype was shown on Instagram.

DCphotos
16-Mar-2017, 10:26
The camera takes Linhof Technika lens boards is that correct? I have one on the way now and I either want to make my own out of wood or have them 3D printed.

Qamaro
16-Mar-2017, 10:50
The camera takes Linhof Technika lens boards is that correct? I have one on the way now and I either want to make my own out of wood or have them 3D printed.

Yes that is correct "Technika 4x5 Boards". They also have stated to have their own boards available for sale in the next 2 weeks.

DCphotos
16-Mar-2017, 11:15
Cool. I found a file for 3D printing I'm going to try that. I can drill the holes for the lens myself. I asked them about their boards but the camera shipped yesterday so it's already on the way. I've got three lenses waiting on it.

Qamaro
16-Mar-2017, 11:24
nice!.... mine is in the next batch, so i have some time to fit the last pieces of my kit together ;)

rfesk
18-Mar-2017, 04:32
Make sure 3D boards can be light tight. I have two for a miniature Crown Graphic that I purchased once that were not. I glued aluminum foil on the back of them and painted it flat black. Haven't gotten around to check them for light tightness yet.

Cool. I found a file for 3D printing I'm going to try that. I can drill the holes for the lens myself. I asked them about their boards but the camera shipped yesterday so it's already on the way. I've got three lenses waiting on it.

DCphotos
19-Mar-2017, 05:57
Make sure 3D boards can be light tight. I have two for a miniature Crown Graphic that I purchased once that were not. I glued aluminum foil on the back of them and painted it flat black. Haven't gotten around to check them for light tightness yet.

I got Randy at holgamods to beef up and redesign boards for my Bush Pressman and they fit like a glove. He is printing Linhoff boards for me now they are $22.50 each. If you aren't familiar he is a guy that modifys holgas, restores old brownies, prints pinhole cameras, etc. Highly recommended him and he does a lot of neat stuff.

letchhausen
20-Mar-2017, 13:53
Looking forward to the 8x10. I don't see myself shooting enough of that to justify a more expensive camera and I need something lightweight so this looks perfect. Too bad about the Sinar part but I think I have an SK Grimes Linhof to Sinar plate around here somewhere....

Kirk Gittings
20-Mar-2017, 16:20

:)

rfesk
20-Mar-2017, 16:24
I got Randy at holgamods to beef up and redesign boards for my Bush Pressman and they fit like a glove. He is printing Linhoff boards for me now they are $22.50 each. If you aren't familiar he is a guy that modifys holgas, restores old brownies, prints pinhole cameras, etc. Highly recommended him and he does a lot of neat stuff.

That is good to know since "my other camera" is a Busch Pressman.

DCphotos
20-Mar-2017, 17:45
That is good to know since "my other camera" is a Busch Pressman.

Message him. The Bush Pressman boards he made for me worked great. I think his email is randy@holgamods.com

danb708
27-Mar-2017, 09:08
Hi im new to LF and was wondering if the Intrepid would be a good starter camera?

swift4567
2-Apr-2017, 14:49
Ordered my Intrepid camera last week. I'll post a review when I receive it for anyone interested or curious if it is worth it.

Maxim Grew
5-Apr-2017, 10:09
Richard Pickup has posted a thoughtful and interesting review on his blog

https://www.richardpickup.com/blog/2017/3/30/intrepid-large-format-camera-review

The blog itself is well worth checking out even if you are not fussed about reading the review

Fr. Mark
9-Apr-2017, 22:12
Another vote for selling parts to the do it yourself/restoration crowd, bellows and knobs and rack and pinion parts. Also, as a Sinar shutter owner with some DB lenses compatibility with that in a light field camera would be compelling in 8x10.

DCphotos
10-Apr-2017, 07:34
Still haven't had much chance to use mine. I am quite happy with it though. It's amazingly light and packs down very well. For anyone going hiking with a 4x5 this is perfect. Not so sure how long it will be before the elastic bands that hold the back on will wear out but I imagine it won't be all that long. I'll post some more when I get it out and put it to use.

Max Grew
11-Apr-2017, 10:41
Still haven't had much chance to use mine. I am quite happy with it though. It's amazingly light and packs down very well. For anyone going hiking with a 4x5 this is perfect. Not so sure how long it will be before the elastic bands that hold the back on will wear out but I imagine it won't be all that long. I'll post some more when I get it out and put it to use.

Hello, we use a marine grade of shock cord for the back designed to last out on a boat so I don't think you should have any problems with it wearing out anytime soon, if you do though, its easy to replace and we will always be happy to do that for you for free or show you how.

Max Grew - Intrepid Camera

DCphotos
11-Apr-2017, 13:00
Hello, we use a marine grade of shock cord for the back designed to last out on a boat so I don't think you should have any problems with it wearing out anytime soon, if you do though, its easy to replace and we will always be happy to do that for you for free or show you how.

Thanks! I imagine it won't be that hard to fix. I can see where you rotate the back halfway and can access the knot.

njc2o
13-Apr-2017, 08:56
Anyone had light leak issues out of the box? Read it very little, but wondering what sort of triage I should plan on doing upon arrival.

DCphotos
14-Apr-2017, 05:55
Anyone had light leak issues out of the box? Read it very little, but wondering what sort of triage I should plan on doing upon arrival.

Haven't heard of anyone having trouble like that. The bellows on mine are great, everything is put together well.

JamesCookPhoto
14-Apr-2017, 07:59
I checked mine before its first use but the bellows were perfect. Haven't had a single issue.

DCphotos
14-Apr-2017, 20:40
Shot a few tonight to test it out and test some old film I got. I have it mounted on a light tripod with an arca-swiss mount. Everything sets up easy but seems a bit shaky under the base, I'll check that mount tomorrow and see if I didn't have it tight enough. Glass is real clear and bright, setup and focus is really easy. With a carbon fiber mefoto tripod the whole setup is really light.

Robert Brazile
15-Apr-2017, 06:58
I have one of the original Kickstarter models and quite like it. Quick review:

Pros

1. Extremely light
2. Easy to set up
3. Sufficient movements for my purposes
4. No issues with ground glass or bellows
5. Practically nothing on it I can't fix or replace if needed; close to a DIY camera in that respect.

Cons

1. Robust enough for my purposes, but a little delicate in some ways: care is required in tightening things
2. Tolerances on my unit are sloppier than expected, even given the manufacturing method -- I suspect mine was done in the rush to get the last KS units out the door. The various moving parts (the base in particular) have a lot of play, to the point of my occasionally having to hold the base down with one thumb while adjusting the focusing knob with the other hand, otherwise the rack and pinion pop apart far enough to stop working.
3. The threaded screw inserts in the movable plate were drilled in the wrong places, so using the second crew in the front standard to lock things down causes it to be unsquare to the front. So I don't use the second screws (which I think they've left out of newer models anyway). Unfortunately...
4. The single screw in the bottom of the front standard is not really enough to lock it down. It still moves unless I really torque it, and I don't think I can torque it enough to lock it firmly without risking damage. So I have to be pretty careful about nudging it when using swing movements.
5. I wrote to the Intrepid folks about problem 3) and they never replied. I haven't cared strongly enough about it to write again.

Don't want to leave the wrong impression: I really like the camera and use it all the time. I appreciate its capabilities, the fact that I can toss it in a messenger bag with a few holders and a CF tripod and be on my way just about anywhere, and that I don't worry much about risking damage to it because it's not an expensive, precious instrument, and I know I can fix just about anything that's likely to happen to it. Could wish there had been a little more care in manufacturing, and I'm guessing that the later models fix some of the issues mine has. But all in all, I'd recommend it (providing one goes into it eyes open) and would consider buying one of the new cameras for travel. In the meanwhile, my 2D serves my field 8x10 needs just fine, if in a slightly more bulky and heavy way...

Robert

Max Grew
15-Apr-2017, 07:43
I have one of the original Kickstarter models and quite like it. Quick review:

Pros

1. Extremely light
2. Easy to set up
3. Sufficient movements for my purposes
4. No issues with ground glass or bellows
5. Practically nothing on it I can't fix or replace if needed; close to a DIY camera in that respect.

Cons

1. Robust enough for my purposes, but a little delicate in some ways: care is required in tightening things
2. Tolerances on my unit are slo...

Robert

Hi Robert, you are not wrong we did (regretfully) rush to get the last of the Kickstarter batch out, a mistake we will not be repeating, the new model does address all the issues you mention and if you would be happy to do so you can all ways send the camera back to us and we can repair or replace anything that isn't working properly (for free of course). Let me know if you would like to, by sending us a quick email.

Thanks again for supporting us when it was all just starting out!

interneg
15-Apr-2017, 08:43
Had a chance to have a play with a current production Intrepid a couple of days ago - my only major reservation relates to the ability to lock the front standard dead square to the baseboard. It's a little too easy - even with the locking screw screwed down as tight as possible - to get enough torque to knock the front standard off centre rotationally - ie left & right swing. Perhaps some sort of washer arrangement would help? It's something that should be addressed before the 8x10 gets released - the forces that can be exerted on similar points will be much greater given the larger size of the components.

Otherwise, it's an impressive piece of engineering.

If these issues can be fixed, then the 8x10 will be something I'd seriously consider. An 8x10 non-folder with no back movements, minimal front movements & shorter bellows would be even better, but the market for that's probably pretty small...

DCphotos
16-Apr-2017, 06:08
The current model is way beyond the original that's why I waited to order. I just got mine and they have already made a change by adding 3d printed parts, I assume as with anything it will continue to improve.

I went for a hike last night with it and finally got to really test it out. Number one thing I love is the weight, paired with my mefoto CF tripod the whole setup is amazingly light. Getting it in and out of my pack and setting up/taking down is easy also. I ordered a new pack when I was waiting on it, it's a small lowepro pack that is an older model without a stupid laptop pouch. It holds the intrepid, 90 f8, 210 f5.6 127mm graflex lens, meter, pack of filters, 4-5 backs, cloth, and tripod mounts on side. I got the lensboards 3d printed by Holgamods. The ground glass is very bright and clear and it's easy to compose and focus. Keep in mind that a high-end ground glass would cost more than the camera itself does so this is a big bonus. Back is easy to rotate.
Only complaint so far is its very shaky. I have an arca swiss mount clamped tightly, and just touching it shakes it. I'm going to see about ordering a plate with more surface area, perhaps a wide one or something is made that will steady it. I think the front standard supports could be made a little beefier, with a larger lens mounted it would be more stable that way. Of course my favorite thing is the light weight, so that would negate some of that also.
This is the camera on the shore of Lake Martin in central Alabama, USA, taken last night:

DCphotos
17-Apr-2017, 08:50
First photo I shot with the intrepid in studio. Not used to having swing on my front optic so I pushed it a little far.

DCphotos
17-Apr-2017, 08:54
These were taken on the hike at the lake. Didn't realize I had a filter that was obscuring the upper right corner with my 90mm at the time.

njc2o
21-Apr-2017, 08:27
What's the heaviest lens/shutter anyone has put on this? I'm looking at a 300/5.6 (the max focal length) in a Copal 3. Is that just asking for trouble, especially as this is my first foray into LF?

DCphotos
21-Apr-2017, 18:37
210 5.6 with prontor press on mine. It i a big lens, weighs more than the camera.

Max Grew
25-Apr-2017, 06:02
What's the heaviest lens/shutter anyone has put on this? I'm looking at a 300/5.6 (the max focal length) in a Copal 3. Is that just asking for trouble, especially as this is my first foray into LF?

Hello, that lens will be fine but is the upper limit of what the Intrepid can handle, take extra care to make sure everything is tightened down properly and you will have no problems :)

Max - Intrepid Camera

Graham Patterson
5-May-2017, 21:20
The Intrepid Facebook page mentions May 20th as the opening of the Kickstarter for the 8x10 version. It will be interesting to see the final specs and cost. (The exchange rate is 1.29 USD to 1 GBP at the moment.)

Norway
5-May-2017, 23:54
Hmm. I can't decide what colour I want..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCphotos
6-May-2017, 18:37
Hmm. I can't decide what colour I want..

I got a black one. Its cool as hell and really light. Hope the 8x10 is affordable

Qamaro
7-May-2017, 00:22
Black is always a nice option!

Norway
7-May-2017, 13:37
True, black looks great[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norway
8-May-2017, 05:28
I am looking at a Nikkor w 150mm f5.6 lens. It comes mounted on a Wista board. Will that board fit on the Intrepid?

locutus
8-May-2017, 05:53
Wista are the same form as Technika boards, so it should fit.

Norway
8-May-2017, 06:27
Wista are the same form as Technika boards, so it should fit.

Thanks![emoji106]

Fr. Mark
8-May-2017, 10:08
Having moved to a place that promises to be excessively hot in the summer (central Texas, USA) I'm wondering if black bellows might not get hot enough to radiate enough IR to mess up IR sensitive film. I'd go with a lighter color bellows regardless. As a clergyman who usually wears black, I need more color in my life!

DCphotos
8-May-2017, 17:09
Having moved to a place that promises to be excessively hot in the summer (central Texas, USA) I'm wondering if black bellows might not get hot enough to radiate enough IR to mess up IR sensitive film. I'd go with a lighter color bellows regardless. As a clergyman who usually wears black, I need more color in my life!

What infrared film can you get that is that sensitive?

Fr. Mark
9-May-2017, 17:15
What infrared film can you get that is that sensitive?

No idea. I suppose being a former chemistry major I ought to be able to remember how to calculate the wavelength from the temperature, it is probably too long wave for it to matter with film. As I wrote that it bugged me so, I looked it up and there was even a calculator for it on line. The answer is that any temperature the bellows gets to that doesn't set it on fire it won't matter for the kind of IR sensitivity that photographic films have. i.e. 100 centigrade is 7 microns or 7000nm waaaay too long to worry about. Now I feel silly having asked. I should've known better or figured it out for myself.

BIT Saddle
22-May-2017, 13:45

Maybe it's just me, but $22.50 for a 3D printed lensboard sounds steep considering you can buy new high-quality aluminum boards for $13.79 shipped (I'm using two of them now).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141852029767?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

DCphotos
26-May-2017, 07:10
Maybe it's just me, but $22.50 for a 3D printed lensboard sounds steep considering you can buy new high-quality aluminum boards for $13.79 shipped (I'm using two of them now).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141852029767?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now you tell me! That is an amazing deal. I have ordered some arca swiss plates from China and they were so low priced I don't know how they do it. I think the regular plates were $2 with shipping and an l-plate for my leica was $7.

Robert Brazile
28-May-2017, 04:02
Just a quick update to my mini-review a couple pages back. Max and I discussed the matter, and I ended up with the latest model 4x5 at a small discount, which satisfied me completely. I've taken it out a couple times now and it is better in practically all the ways I complained about; the only one that I'm not sure about yet is that the front standard is still capable of pivoting around the locking screw, but, unlike the first model, it hasn't happened to me yet: it seems to lock down a bit better. I'm very happy with the camera in general. As I mentioned then, it's a go-anywhere, not-precious instrument that extends the places and times when I can shoot, so it's all to the good.

In the meanwhile, I think I'm going to turn the old one into a graflarger-style enlarger, just for amusement purposes. Now that it's spare to requirements, I feel freed up to try more intrusive means of addressing its shortcomings as well...

Robert

gmfotografie
15-Nov-2017, 14:21
who has experience with the 8x10 camera?

Alan9940
15-Nov-2017, 20:56
who has experience with the 8x10 camera?

No one out here in the wilds; they haven't shipped, yet.

Roger Cole
16-Nov-2017, 04:05
I'd forgotten about this camera having been out of photography for a while. Now I'm interested in both - the 4x5 and the 8x10. I really need to replace my aging and barely-functional Technicka III for 4x5, and this 8x10 brand new is less expensive than almost any 8x10 field you'd find used.

Intriguing!

schammass
23-Nov-2017, 11:02
Hello,

here is a very broad review in german language: http://http://www.recenseo.ch/foto/intrepid.htm (http://www.recenseo.ch/foto/intrepid.htm)

Its about sturdiness, fuzzy operations that get into the workflow with this camera, the ability to use 6x9cm backs.

You CAN produce sharp images with this camera, but there is a learning curve. A Wista 45N is far more intuitive and costs as much as the Intrepid 4x5.

Regards

Tin Can
23-Nov-2017, 11:38
Hello,

here is a very broad review in german language: http://http://www.recenseo.ch/foto/intrepid.htm (http://www.recenseo.ch/foto/intrepid.htm)

Its about sturdiness, fuzzy operations that get into the workflow with this camera, the ability to use 6x9cm backs.

You CAN produce sharp images with this camera, but there is a learning curve. A Wista 45N is far more intuitive and costs as much as the Intrepid 4x5.

Regards

I read the instant translation. I know we all have other machines. Variation in design is useful.

AuditorOne
26-Nov-2017, 12:24
Hello,

Regards

So a USED 4x5 camera can be found on the interweb for less then a NEW 4x5 camera.

What a shocker, I would never have guessed.

As for the intuitive or "fuzzy operations". I guess I am not sure where that comes from.

From my beginners perspective I have had no problem getting my Intrepid to work properly and to provide nice, sharp 4x5 negatives. As time goes by I get quicker at it so that must be the "learning curve."

I have a beautiful Deardorff V8 that I also love working with and that camera has taken me longer to learn to use then the Intrepid did.

Everyone has a different perspective based on their past experiences. Fortunately I didn't read any reviews before buying my Intrepid. If I had I may not have picked up this wonderful little camera.

schammass
28-Nov-2017, 01:20
So a USED 4x5 camera can be found on the interweb for less then a NEW 4x5 camera.
What a shocker, I would never have guessed.
As for the intuitive or "fuzzy operations". I guess I am not sure where that comes from.
From my beginners perspective I have had no problem getting my Intrepid to work properly and to provide nice, sharp 4x5 negatives. As time goes by I get quicker at it so that must be the "learning curve."
I have a beautiful Deardorff V8 that I also love working with and that camera has taken me longer to learn to use then the Intrepid did.
Everyone has a different perspective based on their past experiences. Fortunately I didn't read any reviews before buying my Intrepid. If I had I may not have picked up this wonderful little camera.

His 40 years old Wista seems to have a better build quality and therefore a better condition than his freshly delivered Intrepid. :) So what is "new" and what is "used"? He wondered about satisfaction of manufacturing a birch plywood camera. What means that he honors the effort and the skills while thinking about the pity to work with cheap materials.

But the author writes that he gets sharp images with his Intrepid.

He also wrote that he had to manage some difficulties to get there:

lead time too long, he couldn't take the camera to the project he planned (11 weeks instead of 7)
too light to use with a 1000g Gitzo Weekend and a 400g Manfrotto 484 RC2: 2300g (camera & tripod) is not solid enough neither on soft forest soil (duff) nor with longer exposures times
wobbly front and rear standart (fixed with tape),
difficulties to fold the camera because of narrower distances on the lower zone of the front standarts,
difficulties to keep movements of the front standart e.g. keep tilt when shifting,
systematical defocus when shifting because of aberrant zero position,
too much space around the 6x9-back in its Graflock bed (fixed with tape),
too much space behind the lens board (fixed with tape),
displacement of focus by fixing the focus,
bottom of the flat-bed of the camera too thin, so there are vibrations (fixed with an extra large camera plate that is mounted firmly on the bottom),
issues when putting the film holder in the back because dragging force is eccentric, not central, what causes decentration of the camera,
overall build quality and missing final inspection

Appearently there is a challenge in learning to use this camera.

He emphasized that doing 6x9 with this camera is exceptionally pleasing because you can unmount the ground glass very easily. Perhaps this camera is a lightweigt rival to a Mamiya RZ67/RB67: this camera weights around 2500g plus 500-1000g for each lens. Now, imagine using an 6x9-Intrepid with a set of light and movable 65mm/135mm/210mm/300mm lenses.

I understand that your Deardorff V8 has taken you longer to learn to use than the Intrepid did. It is because of the Deardorff that you know how to use the Intrepid successfully today.

Regards

AuditorOne
28-Nov-2017, 13:10
Thank you for taking the time to respond in such detail Shammass.

I cannot comment on the several apparent difficulties the author of the review experienced except to say that I have not experienced these same issues. Since mine is from the original Kickstarter project then there may have been significant modifications made between the versions that may have caused his problems. It does seem that the author really would have been happier with a larger and heavier camera like the Wista. :)

I bought the the Intrepid primarily for hiking and for that use the design, materials and construction of this camera is almost perfect. Fortunately I have not had to take extraordinary measures to get sharp images such as those apparently needed by the author of the review. Working with this camera has made me more aware of the need to ensure that all knobs are tightened down securely. They all impact this camera's stability. If you are expecting a camera this light to be as stable as a 7 lb metal camera then you will certainly be disappointed. However, that does not mean that this camera doesn't have good build quality. On the contrary, I think the build quality is exceptional considering the intent of the design. Everything on my camera was straight, true and installed properly. It did not arrive with missing hardware and everything worked exactly as intended. When set up properly it stays that way for me and takes the photograph that I expect. It remains that way today.

I use two very nice lenses with mine, a Schneider Angulon 90/6.8 and a Schneider Symmar 150/265 Convertible. It makes for a very, very handy kit while hiking. I have not yet tried the Graflex roll film holders in mine yet. This is something I'll have to try out. These roll film holders are a bit heavier then the Fidelity film holders so I don't think I'll pack them into the hills yet but it is certainly an option.

Again, thank you very much for your synopsis of the review. I do appreciate the amount of time this took and it was very helpful.

ghostcount
11-Dec-2017, 08:51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECs60au3Ng

- 4x5 Version 3 for next year (via website, no Kickstarter)
- For version 3 - bag bellows, base/bellows extender for macro, more movements, bubble levels
- No 4x5 film holders
- Converting an Intrepid to an enlarger (i.e. Graflarger (https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/graflarger.html))
- 5x7 reducing back for the 8x10
- First batch of 8x10 to be delivered early next year
- Parts replacement seems to be free

Oren Grad
11-Dec-2017, 09:58
At the OP's request, and reflecting information posted by the manufacturer of these cameras, the title of this thread has been corrected to clarify that the discussion is about the second-generation version of the camera, not the third, which as of this writing has not yet been released.

Bipin
11-Dec-2017, 19:50
Has anyone used one of these with a Sinar Zoom rollfilm back? The back itself weight a pound or two, and I'm wondering if it's too heavy for the Intrepid to handle? I'm well-versed in woodworking and metalworking, so I wouldn't be opposed to adding a Graflok-style back taken from a view camera or something. My current body is a Technika III, and combined with the Sinar Zoom, it's one hell of a heavy kit. I hiked around Arizona with this and a tripod (25-30lbs backpack) - I could barely take it. The Intrepid seems nice and light, but I'm wondering if I sacrifice too much strength for what it offers?

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
18-Dec-2017, 03:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECs60au3Ng

- 4x5 Version 3 for next year (via website, no Kickstarter)
- For version 3 - bag bellows, base/bellows extender for macro, more movements, bubble levels
- No 4x5 film holders
- Converting an Intrepid to an enlarger (i.e. Graflarger (https://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/graflarger.html))
- 5x7 reducing back for the 8x10
- First batch of 8x10 to be delivered early next year
- Parts replacement seems to be free

At last solid wood: that would be nice and stable and worth the effort.

AuditorOne
18-Dec-2017, 23:09

I missed any mention of using solid wood. In fact I heard just the opposite. I heard that they don't intend to move away from building their current birch plywood cameras. The cameras they currently build fit the inexpensive niche they have carved out for themselves and they are doing quite well inside that niche. They have no intention of competing with the more expensive camera manufacturers.

Of course I could be totally wrong here and should probably listen to the interview again.

mdarnton
19-Dec-2017, 07:25
In this instance, I would rather have plywood: in an application like this, it's better, not worse, functionally.

Tin Can
19-Dec-2017, 08:25
I agree!

Remember the Spruce Goose! http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/the-spruce-goose

In this instance, I would rather have plywood: in an application like this, it's better, not worse, functionally.

Jac@stafford.net
19-Dec-2017, 11:40

I must disagree. An AC plywood would be more stable.
Baltic birch is great stuff.

AuditorOne
19-Dec-2017, 17:22
Yes. Baltic birch is a very strong, very stable material. It certainly is not as pretty, and needs to be well sealed to prevent delamination, but it is a great material for a field camera in my opinion.

However, all that being considered, I have wondered what the camera would look like if the visible plywood edges were boxed with solid birch. I may play around a bit in the shop and try to recreate some of the Intrepid's parts this way.

Undoubtedly not worth the time but...hey...I'm retired.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
20-Dec-2017, 00:43
Yes. Baltic birch is a very strong, very stable material. It certainly is not as pretty, and needs to be well sealed to prevent delamination, but it is a great material for a field camera in my opinion.

However, all that being considered, I have wondered what the camera would look like if the visible plywood edges were boxed with solid birch. I may play around a bit in the shop and try to recreate some of the Intrepid's parts this way.

Undoubtedly not worth the time but...hey...I'm retired.

Just to get it right: I find the Intrepid is a wonderful lightweight camera. But solid wood would make it more durable. And upvalue resp. appreciate the effort of the team, without adding too much weight.

Let's make a case: In fact Intrepid buyers prefer Chamonix. They just don't want to spend the money.

You're needled? Just imagine an Intrepid made from beech or oak or birch wood ... This definitely would be THE killer application.

Of course they would have to change their laser controlled CNC routers then ...

Jimi
20-Dec-2017, 06:15
I am not sure the Intrepid buyers want a Chamonix - maybe they even have one already. :D

I think Intrepid are on to something good, trying to make a small, sustainable ecosystem, while keeping to the original intent - simple lightweight cameras.

There are trade-offs in every camera design, and I think they need to be clear about their overall philosophy on their homepage. I have the impression quite a few people want the camera to be something it really isn't. It is like expecting a Spyder 550 to be a nice car for hauling a trailer.

There are already people making cameras out of other sorts of wood based on the Philips design - have a look at the 'Bay.

Fred L
20-Dec-2017, 07:11
I think a number of Intrepid buyers (esp the 8x10) are looking for a second, lighter body for some specific use. When I get mine, I'll probably backpack it vs hauling the Zone VI camera. The weight difference is another lens or two, or several holders. It won't replace my Zone beast ;)

williaty
20-Dec-2017, 21:31
Just to get it right: I find the Intrepid is a wonderful lightweight camera. But solid wood would make it more durable.
Speaking as a hobbyist woodworker, you are completely wrong. The plywood camera will be stiffer, stronger, have better vibration damping, be more resistant to dimensional movement with changing humidity, and allow for a more precise fit betweenpieces. The hardwood high-ply-count plywood like Baltic Birch is a superior camera building material compared to solid wood in every way except for 2: appearance and water resistance. I'd even argue that it's not actually worse than solid wood in water resistance because both the plywood and the solid wood cameras are likely to be completely ruined if you get them wet, they just fail in different ways. The plywood camera will delaminate and obviously be ruined. The solid wood camera will likely just deform and may look OK but will be unable to be used to produce good results afterwards.

So, building the camera out of solid wood would actually make it a worse camera.

Ebony, Deardorff, Chamonix, etc don't make their cameras out of solid wood because it has better structural properties. They make them out of solid wood because they sell better and for more money. Solid wood convinces the buyers that the camera is worth more because it looks prettier or, as with you, the buyer isn't educated about materials and mistakenly believes the wood is more durable.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
21-Dec-2017, 10:32
Speaking as a hobbyist woodworker, you are completely wrong. The plywood camera will be stiffer, stronger, have better vibration damping, be more resistant to dimensional movement with changing humidity, and allow for a more precise fit betweenpieces.

[...]

So, building the camera out of solid wood would actually make it a worse camera.

As a "Wista 45N" and a "Brand 17" user I don't have to be educated about wooden materials ... Altough I use a Berlebach tripod made of solid wood because of its vibration damping ...

Asked whether I prefer to compensate a defocus on the ground glass after 25 years of use or to search a dissolving birch plywood camera after a dozen shots everywhere in my rucksack, I prefer the first option:

The Intrepid is definitely wonderful but made of poor material. It's a pity, they waste all efforts, time, skills and excellent ideals on poor material.

williaty
21-Dec-2017, 10:50
Asked whether I prefer to compensate a defocus on the ground glass after 25 years of use or to search a dissolving birch plywood camera after a dozen shots everywhere in my rucksack,

The Intrepid is definitely wonderful but made of poor material. It's a pity, they waste all efforts, time, skills and excellent ideals on poor material.

No, you're wrong. The plywood is a very good material for this application. You abused the camera by getting it wet. There are very few cameras (and no LF cameras that I've ever heard of!) that are completely impervious to getting wet.

If, by chance, you didn't get it wet that would mean that the plywood was defective and Intrepid would repair (in this case meaning replace the plywood bits) the camera for free and cover shipping in both directions. If I understand their warranty correctly, if even you did destroy the camera by getting it wet, you just have to pay to ship it and they'll still repair it for free. Did you even bother contacting them about this?

mdarnton
21-Dec-2017, 11:17
If dents and little slivers of wood, as in the photos, are things you can't personally live with, then you shouldn't buy an Intrepid, but functionally these have nothing to do with anything.

I have baltic birch forms in my shop that have been used over 30 years to make many more than 100 violins, and they are just as functional as they were when new. Previously I worked in a shop that made 400 instruments a year, using baltic birch forms, and they lasted forever. Please don't confuse cosmetics with function.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
21-Dec-2017, 11:32
No, you're wrong. The plywood is a very good material for this application. You abused the camera by getting it wet. There are very few cameras (and no LF cameras that I've ever heard of!) that are completely impervious to getting wet.

If, by chance, you didn't get it wet that would mean that the plywood was defective and Intrepid would repair (in this case meaning replace the plywood bits) the camera for free and cover shipping in both directions. If I understand their warranty correctly, if even you did destroy the camera by getting it wet, you just have to pay to ship it and they'll still repair it for free. Did you even bother contacting them about this?

No. I did not abuse the camera by getting it wet. The kind of defects do not result from getting wet. It's the material and its manufacture.

And no, I don't want to send it back. It's "circular waste of life" and it will never be better because it will be false manufacture on false materials.

In fact, I use the camera extensively and I have no fear to destroy it by letting it on the tripod, in the rain (appearently it's sealed), in the cold etc.

But I also do not have any illusions about the material. It costs 250 Pounds, to come to the point.

williaty
21-Dec-2017, 11:34
No. I did not abuse the camera by getting it wet. The kind of defects do not result from getting wet. It's the material and its manufacture.

And no, I don't want to send it back. It's "circular waste of life" and it will never be better because it will be false manufacture on false materials.

In fact, I use the camera extensively and I have no fear to destroy it by letting it on the tripod, in the rain (appearently it's sealed), in the cold etc.

But I also do not have any illusions about the material. It costs 250 Pounds, to come to the point.

So your claim is that the delamination in your first picture came from the factory that way? Jesus, man, get the damned thing repaired for free and don't complain on the internet about it!

Your 2nd and 3rd pictures are not something to complain about. They're perfectly acceptable.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
21-Dec-2017, 13:02
@mdarnton: i can live very well with dents and little slivers of wood. But this camera is definitely not a violin. I always thought a violin is made of maple (bottom) and spruce. I play a classical guitar. Plywood is not tonewood.

The Intrepid as light as a violin, it's fragile, too, but it is neither lacquered like a violin nor is it stored in a acclimatized case like a violin. I use it outdoors, in the cold, where I never would take the guitar with me.

But there is a good idea arising from this comparison: perhaps they should lacquer the Intrepid with a more durable synthetic or nitro cellulose lacquer.

So your claim is that the delamination in your first picture came from the factory that way? Jesus, man, get the damned thing repaired for free and don't complain on the internet about it!

Your 2nd and 3rd pictures are not something to complain about. They're perfectly acceptable.

There is no delamination in the first picture. There is a tiny little hole broken out. This tells me about other little holes that will break out, too, tomorrow, in a year? And the dents in the second and third picture came from the factory, too.

I don't think these faults are functional. And I don't complain about the Intrepid. I think it is the perfect tool for hiking and, as others told us, the perfect substitute for a genuine 6x9 camera. It's good with a tripod in the 1-2kg class. But I don't expect it to last forever. I expect to use it for one or two years, to be honest. I will be positively surprised when it lasts longer. I am not disappointed when it breaks down in 2018.

And I don't blame the Brighton team at all. I think they do a great job, regrettably with the false material. This is my opinion. It's a pity.

They should offer the solid wood option with a good lacquer, not only the prototypical version.

AuditorOne
21-Dec-2017, 16:41
As a "Wista 45N" and a "Brand 17" user I don't have to be educated about wooden materials ... Altough I use a Berlebach tripod made of solid wood because of its vibration damping ...

Asked whether I prefer to compensate a defocus on the ground glass after 25 years of use or to search a dissolving birch plywood camera after a dozen shots everywhere in my rucksack, I prefer the first option:

They didn't make the camera out of poor materials, you abused it and now it is starting to do exactly what I said it would, delaminate. Just because you hauled it around in your rucksack does not mean it won't get wet when the rucksack gets wet.

Send it back, get it fixed and then treat it better. Or sell it to someone who will treat it better and then continue on using your other cameras. At least Intrepid will fix it for you. I am pretty sure Chamonix would charge you quite a bit to repair those damages.

But don't run down the Intrepid because you have mistreated it.

I would laugh if it weren't so sad. What a mess.

I have hauled mine all over the place for the past two years, on my back an in my truck, and it has held up wonderfully.

Earlier you asked me if I were needled. I wasn't then but I am now.

Daniel Casper Lohenstein
22-Dec-2017, 07:19
They didn't make the camera out of poor materials, you abused it and now it is starting to do exactly what I said it would, delaminate. Just because you hauled it around in your rucksack does not mean it won't get wet when the rucksack gets wet.

Send it back, get it fixed and then treat it better. Or sell it to someone who will treat it better and then continue on using your other cameras. At least Intrepid will fix it for you. I am pretty sure Chamonix would charge you quite a bit to repair those damages.

Arthur Schopenhauer once wrote a book named "The World as Will and Representation" ...

I did not abused the camera. The fault came fresh from the factory. I did not hauled it around in my rucksack. I enveloped it in a Novoflex bluewrap / stretchwrap made of blue neopren. The camera was packed separately with three other lenses in boards, all af them separately packed in one bluewrap per lens. There was a Gossen Profisix with Profispot, packed in another bluewrap, and there were 10 Riteway filmholders 1284, all together packed in the last bluewrap.

All these packages were packed in a Mammut Couloir 45 rucksack, with a Berlebach and a isolated bottle of hot tea on the outside. On the bottom of the rucksack, there were a pocket rocket with gas canister and a real, original french cassoulet with some real french baguette (a "flūte", cut in two pieces). So there was not much place to haule someting around. And everything was well packed.

This kind of backpacking is the real pupose this camera was made for. In the past, before the bluewrap came out, I had buckskin clothes to wrap the gear in. I wrapped everything, for ages.

On this tour it did not rain at all. My rucksack did not get wet. And the fault on the camera, picture one, is not delamination but a hole, where a piece of the plywood broke out when the camera was in production.

So, calm down please, AuditorOne. I don't want to attack you, sorry - but you are not an "Indignado", aren't you.

The original poster asked whether anybody else had an Intrepid. This means to me that he wanted to hear our opinions. Now, as far as I understood, you suggested to use it like every other gear not made from plywood. I agree with you. One must not abuse the gear. But I also pointed to my opinion, that plywood is not a worthy representative of the efforts of the producers.

Happy christmas to you.

AuditorOne
22-Dec-2017, 11:00
Arthur Schopenhauer once wrote a book named "The World as Will and Representation" ...

I did not abused the camera. The fault came fresh from the factory. I did not hauled it around in my rucksack. I enveloped it in a Novoflex bluewrap / stretchwrap made of blue neopren. The camera was packed separately with three other lenses in boards, all af them separately packed in one bluewrap per lens. There was a Gossen Profisix with Profispot, packed in another bluewrap, and there were 10 Riteway filmholders 1284, all together packed in the last bluewrap.

All these packages were packed in a Mammut Couloir 45 rucksack, with a Berlebach and a isolated bottle of hot tea on the outside. On the bottom of the rucksack, there were a pocket rocket with gas canister and a real, original french cassoulet with some real french baguette (a "flūte", cut in two pieces). So there was not much place to haule someting around. And everything was well packed.

This kind of backpacking is the real pupose this camera was made for. In the past, before the bluewrap came out, I had buckskin clothes to wrap the gear in. I wrapped everything, for ages.

On this tour it did not rain at all. My rucksack did not get wet. And the fault on the camera, picture one, is not delamination but a hole, where a piece of the plywood broke out when the camera was in production.

So, calm down please, AuditorOne. I don't want to attack you, sorry - but you are not an "Indignado", aren't you.

The original poster asked whether anybody else had an Intrepid. This means to me that he wanted to hear our opinions. Now, as far as I understood, you suggested to use it like every other gear not made from plywood. I agree with you. One must not abuse the gear. But I also pointed to my opinion, that plywood is not a worthy representative of the efforts of the producers.

Happy christmas to you.

You are correct Mr. Lohenstein. I should not attack you. For that I apologize.

I do hope you enjoy your Christmas.

JoeV
22-Dec-2017, 20:50
FYI, my Intrepid came shipped to me with various edges and corners already chipped off. So far, these are merely cosmetic defects and don't effect the camera's operation. But they are due to the nature of laminated wood. For the price I don't expect cherry wood and brass. But realistically, a better material could have been chosen.

rbiemer
23-Dec-2017, 07:51
I've had my Intrepid just about 6 months now. And it is my first LF camera. Which meant, for me, that I did not have any experience or practice with any other LF cameras--except some foam board pinhole cameras I've made over the years. My decision to buy the Intrepid rather than some other camera was based on a confluence of things: Absolutely price was a major consideration, I also wanted a new camera. The light weight was another very appealing point of the Intrepid. Added to that was my ongoing attempt to get to a minimalist approach to my photography and the last piece of the puzzle, as it were, was my discovery of the Stearman daylight tank for 4 x 5.

All of those things coming together for me in the early part of this year meant that for just under $500 I have all the "stuff" I need to be shooting 4 x 5. 35mm or MF has cost me rather a bit more.

I'd not seen the Kickstarter campaign for the Intrepid so I have the 2nd gen camera and I think that they have set out to answer a fairly specific need and are doing it well. As I see it, they are making a good, relatively inexpensive way into LF photography.

The single thing that I was not thrilled about with Intrepid has nothing to do with the actual camera but I would have been happier if their stated lead times were closer to reality. I have said elsewhere that I do appreciate that the company took the approach to take the time necessary to make the camera rather than making the camera worse to be able to meet the lead time.

Rob

mdarnton
23-Dec-2017, 08:10
Regarding lead time, I think people forget that the original 8x10 camera plan was for a tenth of the cameras that were finally ordered, calling for an entirely different level of tooling and production than they originally planned, and a new facility. I think they're doing amazingly well trying to keep to something like the original timetable, with just a few months of delay. I know that some selfish person who cares nothing for the people around them is going to think "me first", and I don't have anything to say to that, except to offer condolences to the people who have to live with them.

Max Grew
26-Dec-2017, 06:32
Hello, Max from Intrepid here,

haven't chimed in on this thread for a while so thought I would explain a little bit about the choice of wood and some other bits that have been discussed recently in this thread. Birch Plywood is by all means a modern marvel of engineering, it is however not perfect and can split or chip during manufacturing, particularly on the CNC router, we are constantly honing our process to improve this though and as was mentioned before, if anyone has a part that is not working, no matter the cause, we will replace it for free, we only ask you to cover the cost of shipping if the problem was your fault. Its a very simple warranty system that means everyone gets a working camera, and to be honest thats all we want.

Birch Ply is often a little miss-understood as materials go, it is incredibly strong, rigid and when coated properly (like we do) water resistant. from a structural point of view it is pretty much the perfect wood to build a large format camera from. However this is not the only reason we use it, we produce cameras out of large sheets of material 4ft x 8ft or 1220mm x 2440mm, this is incredibly efficient as it allows us to make many cameras simultaneously out of the same sheet of wood. With out this production method Intrepid would not be able to make the cameras so affordably and we would not exist as a company. Producing cameras from these large sheets is the only way we can do what we do, so this limits us to a few materials that come in these sheet sizes, things like, MDF, OSB, Delrin, HDPE, Aluminium, and Birch Plywood, then you have to look at price and weight of each material, so that leaves you with MDF, OSB or Birch Plywood, well I think now you will be able to see why our cameras are made from Birch Ply. Its an excellent material and ticks every box for us.

I will keep an eye on this thread for a few days if anyone has any other questions,

Best, Max

McGirton
2-Jan-2018, 08:23
FYI, my Intrepid came shipped to me with various edges and corners already chipped off. So far, these are merely cosmetic defects and don't effect the camera's operation. But they are due to the nature of laminated wood. For the price I don't expect cherry wood and brass. But realistically, a better material could have been chosen.

The wood is what still holds me back after eyeballing the camera since the release (kickstarter). It doesn't have to be cherry wood, but there are enough woods that are not plywood to achieve good aesthetics and a sturdy yet light construction. I am looking forward to seeing version 3, but if it is still plywood I'd rather go for a slightly more expensive Japanese wooden field camera, with a better build and smoother operation any day.

Max Grew
2-Jan-2018, 12:29
The wood is what still holds me back after eyeballing the camera since the release (kickstarter). It doesn't have to be cherry wood, but there are enough woods that are not plywood to achieve good aesthetics and a sturdy yet light construction. I am looking forward to seeing version 3, but if it is still plywood I'd rather go for a slightly more expensive Japanese wooden field camera, with a better build and smoother operation any day.

Hello, the 3rd Generation Intrepid will again be made from Birch Plywood, for the reasons detailed in the post before yours, it is unlikely we will use other woods, in particular for items we make lots of like the 4x5 camera. Basically if we wan't them to be affordable they need to be made from Birch Plywood, it also so happens to be the ideal wood for a large format camera (aesthetic preference aside, I actually like the way it looks though). Maybe we will do some much smaller batches of other wood cameras in the future, but for now we have our niche and are more than happy in it :)

Steven Tribe
2-Jan-2018, 15:24
The choice of birch ply for a very large wooden section is absolutely correct both as regards stability and cost.

The use of solid hard woods for this section is just not possible. I have had a lot of hard wood cameras from the "golden era" through my hands, "mahogany" made from various periods, walnut, cherry and varieties of teak and rosewood. All of them have been properly finished and the construction of parts has been been done by cabinet makers using hundreds of years of tradition about which assemblies work best. But they still dry out, twist and crack - perhaps, in part, due to our central heated houses. Even well designed massive sections come apart at the joints - the Deardorff base comes apart (sometimes) at the 4 corner glued assemblies due to shrinking.

Now the design of the base of the Intepid means that at single piece of wood is required . The use of even super well seasoned wood of one of the renowned varieties would be nightmare for the owner - if not on delivery, then certainly within a decade. Not such much cracking, but twisting, as it is not secured to anything else apart from screws.

We also must admit that the quality of timbers available in these FSC plantation days are not the same as those forested when these timbers got their reputation. I have worked with timber (Baltic pine) from a building that was erected in the 1820's from trees that had a yearly growth of under 1mm and still smelt of harpics. I note that the lens boards for the intrepid is made of cherry - not quite the cherry appearance I am used to seeing!

Jeff Pettitt
22-Mar-2018, 12:36
Do you have an ETA for the Gen 3 4x5? What will the differences be?

pepeguitarra
24-Mar-2018, 22:07

You can buy enough cord for life here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charcoal-Shock-Cord-100-Feet-Marine-Grade-Shock-Bungee-Cord-USA/826538554?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=6859&adid=22222222227067790692&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=172769901009&wl4=aud-310687322322:pla-277154515100&wl5=9031539&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115062094&wl11=online&wl12=826538554&wl13=&veh=sem

jon.oman
25-Mar-2018, 08:59
You can buy enough cord for life here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charcoal-Shock-Cord-100-Feet-Marine-Grade-Shock-Bungee-Cord-USA/826538554?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=6859&adid=22222222227067790692&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=172769901009&wl4=aud-310687322322:pla-277154515100&wl5=9031539&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115062094&wl11=online&wl12=826538554&wl13=&veh=sem

Thanks for the tip, and link! I can make use of that cord.....

januarys_v
20-Jun-2018, 12:55
seems like the 4x5 is updated again:

saw tweeted:..."Now in it's third generation the 4x5 MK3 camera sees various updates including: tilt and swing on the rear standard, an extra sturdy base plate, fully rotating back and leaf springs to hold the ground glass and film holders!"...

they say tilt and swing on the rear standard, but the new video on their site doesnt show this feature unfortunatelly

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

Graham Patterson
20-Jun-2018, 13:17
Watch the video until it shows the back. It looks like the rear mountings are slotted on the base with thumbscrews. Maybe +/- 15 to 20 degrees? Rear tilt is shown, though it goes by quickly.