PDA

View Full Version : 270mm G-Claron & 7x17 - Coverage

EdC
21-Jan-2017, 06:32
I've been looking for a budget friendly wider view for 7x17 and have done some research on whether the 270mm G-Claron would provide coverage for this format. If so, that would be great, since I could make use of it for smaller formats. I've done some extensive searches on the forums here. From what I've seen, the coverage is marginal enough that it seems to vary from lens to lens. Some have reported this lens working, but barely. Others have indicated that their lens just doesn't make it and falls short well of the corners. If I've overlooked anything, let me know, but my overall take is that if you already have one and it works, great. But if you don't have one and you're giving this some consideration, try first before you buy.

Thanks,

Ed

Dan Fromm
21-Jan-2017, 06:50
Schneider says that G-Clarons (except the 150) cover 64 degrees. They say the 270 covers 335 mm at infinity. Many posters here disagree vigorously.

A 270 that covers 7x17 has to cover 82 degrees.

karl french
21-Jan-2017, 08:38
The 305 G-Claron seems to be a more popular choice for 7x17. A 12" Dagor does a good job as well (that's what I use.) You could try a 10 3/4 Dagor as well. (The two currently on ebay are over priced. Wait for one to show up without reserve.)

My 240 Graphic Kowa covers 7x17 with room to spare. A 270 Computar/Graphic Kowa would be just what you're looking for. Though they're not easy to find.

EdC
21-Jan-2017, 15:33
The 305 G-Claron seems to be a more popular choice for 7x17. A 12" Dagor does a good job as well (that's what I use.) You could try a 10 3/4 Dagor as well. (The two currently on ebay are over priced. Wait for one to show up without reserve.)

My 240 Graphic Kowa covers 7x17 with room to spare. A 270 Computar/Graphic Kowa would be just what you're looking for. Though they're not easy to find.

Thanks for the comments, Karl! There is a 240mm Graphic Kowa for sale on the auction site, but from what I've read here, the lens design changed sometime during the production run so that some lenses cover and some do not. From those discussions. finding out what a particular lens has is a must. I suspect that not all sellers on the auction site would be able to answer that question.

I know of a dealer with a 270mm Computar, but that lens has had a hard life, with a repair having been made to replace a cable release socket being pulled out entirely due to an accident. I was assured that a repair had been made, but it was not very attractive looking. I kind of think that this is one to avoid unless the price drops by 50% or so.

I agree completely on what you mentioned about the 10.75 in Dagor. For that price, are some of the shutter parts made out of gold? I'll have to keep an eye open for a 300 mm Claron. Rodenstock has a similar lens but I've not seen that mentioned as a possible lens for ULF. I assume that there's a reason for that.

Thanks,

Ed

Dan Fromm
21-Jan-2017, 16:36
Ed, as process lenses go G-Clarons have very wide coverage, 64 degrees. To put this in perspective, similar f/5.6 Schneider plasmats for general purpose use cover from 70 degrees (jes' plain Symmar) to 75 degrees (Apo Symmar L). Also, the longer the lens the less the coverage.

Apo Ronars are relatively narrow angle lenses, cover from 48 degrees down to 40 degrees depending on focal length.

I don't know what you mean by budget friendly but there don't seem to be many 80+ degree 270 - 300 mm lenses out there.

Oren Grad
21-Jan-2017, 17:00
Rodenstock has a similar lens but I've not seen that mentioned as a possible lens for ULF. I assume that there's a reason for that.

I think Rodenstock's closest counterpart to the G-Clarons was not the Apo-Ronar but the Apo-Gerogon and Apo-Graphigon lenses. The problem with those is that they didn't come in shutter and, unlike the G-Clarons, are not a direct fit to shutter. At best it's a costly custom machining job to fit them to a shutter and at worst it can't be done. Another possibility is to front-fit a Luc, Gitzo or Packard shutter.

FWIW, IIRC the largest format on which I've used my 270 G-Claron has been 8x10. On my occasional forays into 7x17 and 11x14 I've used a 270 Computar, a 305 G-Claron and a 360 Apo-Symmar.

Lachlan 717
21-Jan-2017, 17:23
I've got a 240mm Graphic Kowa that easily covers 7x17".

Recently got a 240mm Computar in a Copal 3s that will (probably) replace it.

Both cracker lenses; hard to say goodbyde to the GK!!

EdC
21-Jan-2017, 19:29
I think Rodenstock's closest counterpart to the G-Clarons was not the Apo-Ronar but the Apo-Gerogon and Apo-Graphigon lenses. The problem with those is that they didn't come in shutter and, unlike the G-Clarons, are not a direct fit to shutter. At best it's a costly custom machining job to fit them to a shutter and at worst it can't be done. Another possibility is to front-fit a Luc, Gitzo or Packard shutter.

FWIW, IIRC the largest format on which I've used my 270 G-Claron has been 8x10. On my occasional forays into 7x17 and 11x14 I've used a 270 Computar, a 305 G-Claron and a 360 Apo-Symmar.

Thank you for filling in the back story, Oren! I suspected that there were limitations at play here, and you've summarized them very nicely.

To answer Dan, I'd like to refer to what Karl pointed out in his post. There is a 10 3/4 in Dagor on the auction site, but the price being asked is $1,575. I would like to find something less expensive for a wider lens for the 7x17.

Guys, I appreciate the commentary and the education!

Ed

Corran
21-Jan-2017, 20:52
Check the serial # on any G-Claron you buy. Somewhere in the 11 million block they changed from Dagor to Plasmat design, which cuts coverage a little bit. I have two 305mm G-Clarons - one is a Dagor with very late 10 million serial, the other is a Plasmat with a late 11 million serial.

The 305mm Dagor-type covers 8x20, so I would speculate the 270mm would cover 7x17, probably even the Plasmat type.