PDA

View Full Version : Need advice shopping for an 8x10 camera

sergiofigliolia
21-Jan-2017, 02:32
Hi all,
after a few years shooting 4x5 with a chamonix view camera (045F1) I am now looking to buy a 8x10.
It should still be a field camera but I have a requirement on the front standard. I am pretty much used to the way it works on my chamonix 045F1 in that it locks to zero position tilt while allowing rise and fall.

I have done some research on some cameras I could be interested in:

VDS cameras: great but it looks like it is missing this feature
Gibellini WAN810 has it
Chamonix 8x10 has it and more it locks tilt to any position
Shen Hao FCL810-A I am not sure it does offer this and it would really be interesting to know as I could get it for a nice price
Argentum Explorator 8x10 Camera

Any more 8x10 sub 5kgs you can suggest?
Are there any owners of Shen Hao FCL810-A who could help me with this doubt?

Serge S
21-Jan-2017, 05:19
Hi all,
after a few years shooting 4x5 with a chamonix view camera (045F1) I am now looking to buy a 8x10.
It should still be a field camera but I have a requirement on the front standard. I am pretty much used to the way it works on my chamonix 045F1 in that it locks to zero position tilt while allowing rise and fall.

I have done some research on some cameras I could be interested in:

VDS cameras: great but it looks like it is missing this feature
Gibellini WAN810 has it
Chamonix 8x10 has it and more it locks tilt to any position
Shen Hao FCL810-A I am not sure it does offer this and it would really be interesting to know as I could get it for a nice price
Argentum Explorator 8x10 Camera

Any more 8x10 sub 5kgs you can suggest?
Are there any owners of Shen Hao FCL810-A who could help me with this doubt?

I believe a Ritter 8x10 could be added to your list of options :)

Lachlan 717
21-Jan-2017, 06:28
The Shen has a rise/fall and tilt on the same nut. Simply put, it has an inner and outer thread, both separate to the other.

Luis-F-S
21-Jan-2017, 06:34
Funny, I wouldn't buy any of the cameras you mention. I'd get a Deardorff or a Canham. A Ritter would be a close third. Buying an 8x10 based on specs is not real smart, and using the camera is the only real gauge of whether it will "fit" you.

L

Bruce Barlow
21-Jan-2017, 06:43
I love my Ritter.

angusparker
21-Jan-2017, 09:03
I believe a Ritter 8x10 could be added to your list of options :)

Doesn't have the lock feature though.... super light weight but less rigid than a Chamonix 810.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan Gales
21-Jan-2017, 11:25
Buying an 8x10 based on specs is not real smart, and using the camera is the only real gauge of whether it will "fit" you.

L

True but sometimes specs are all you can get.

There are not too many people who shoot 8x10 here in St. Louis and we are a pretty good size town. It's hard to get your hands on an 8x10 to play with. Also playing with a camera isn't the same as shooting one for a few months.

I bought my used Wehman on specs. Fortunately, I ended up liking it. Otherwise, I would have sold it and tried something else and probably lost a little bit of money. I see it as a cheap rental fee. Buying new you take a hit if you sell though.

radiantstills
21-Jan-2017, 11:32
I hear great things about the Ritter. I have an Ebony 4x5 that has a great build. It is hard to find one of their 8x10s.