PDA

View Full Version : "New" Durst L-138: Did one of us get this?

John Layton
15-Jan-2017, 14:57
So I placed a bid on this: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/152383512910) of 250.00, knowing that with 40 watchers I wouldn't have a ghost of a chance. But...with the final bid of 415.00? (Why, oh why, didn't I bid 450.00?) A basically brand new L-138? Oh - what I would give to set the clock back on this and bid just a bit higher!

So...did this go to anyone here?

Luis-F-S
15-Jan-2017, 18:12
John, I you look at it, it is a pretty old enlarger albeit with very low usage if you can believe the seller. It does not have the removable lens turret, etc. Still it's a fine enlarger and I hope someone on the forum purchased it! L

LarsAC
17-Jan-2017, 11:18
Dont worry. Final ebay auction results only give you an idea about the second highest bid.

Lars

ic-racer
17-Jan-2017, 17:03
Inexpensive clean enlargers are getting harder to find. Someone got a deal.

rosephoto@comcast.net
14-Apr-2017, 09:34
I have a Durst 138S that I bought from a local photo store about 10-12 years ago. It was their top commercial enlarger and came with an Aristo blue/green VC head. It was never used by me and has been stuck beneath a cover in my garage for all that time. I had 3 lenses that came with it but I'm darned if I can find them (but I haven't looked too hard). As usual, I have a box full of clean condensors and several neg carriers. I need to clean everything up and photograph the parts. Anyone interested? I live close to Denver.

Luis-F-S
14-Apr-2017, 09:45
I kept my SM-183 stored in my garage for some 10 years until I built my darkroom. Used it for a while and now it's back in storage since I bought my 810 DeVere! Only have room for one big enlarger in my small darkroom. Oh well, maybe one day I'll have room to set it up again. Great enlargers! It's neat that your has the Aristo blue/green head. Is the head 4x5 or 5x7? L

Chauncey Walden
14-Apr-2017, 15:25
If you have the cold light head you probably don't need the heat absorbing glass which I need:rolleyes: Or if anyone reading this knows where I can get that glass please give a whistle.

Luis-F-S
14-Apr-2017, 17:12
You can have a piece of heat absorbing glass cut, or is it the holder you need? L

Steve Sherman
14-Apr-2017, 17:28
The Durst 138 S is clearly the finest enlarger that I have ever used !!
The "Heat Absorbing Glass" you speak of, those large slots are for various sized condensers to focus the light beam for a specific film format. Not sure what the used market is for those condensers if you can find them. My Durst 138 was purchased by a large University and I have the accounting of what was paid for each condenser of the 5 that I have, i.e. approx. $1300.00 each, that is over and above the basic $11 K + they paid for the basic enlarger itself !!
I do have the cold light unit that slides into the bottom most slot to use the unit as a Cold Light functioning enlarger if someone is in need inquire via PM for pricing.

Luis-F-S
14-Apr-2017, 18:13
No, the Lacalo heat absorbing glass goes in a small holder and slides inside the compartment where the bulb goes. Here is a photo of it. Don't forget to ventilate the housing when using a bulb larger than 200 watts. I used the blower no matter the size of the bulb to extend the bulb life. This is not necessary with the Aristo D57 or the Durst Lacoli cold light heads. Condensers are pretty common on the auction site, the Lacalo heat absorbing glass holder is not. I bought mine on the Spain auction site! L

Leszek Vogt
15-Apr-2017, 12:13
Inexpensive clean enlargers are getting harder to find.

Just in case someone is looking (not me), I found a De Vere 515 (12x15) for sale on local CL w/4 lenses for $2500. Any takers, he he ? Just spotted that last night.

Les

Chauncey Walden
16-Apr-2017, 12:44
The slot for the heat absorbing glass is inside the lamp housing. Luis, where can you source the glass to be cut? Looks like a previous owner was using a 500 watt bulb with no cooling. Two new 200 watt Durst Opals came with the enlarger. That said, yesterday I was talking to an LED lamp guy about making a lamp setup that would slide into the condenser racks. It would only draw 3 amps or so and be around 25 watts. Probably run cooler than the Lacoli and I'm sure it would be less expensive. Steve, I also have lots of condensers.

Luis-F-S
16-Apr-2017, 13:52
You'd probably have to mail order the heat absorbing glass. I bought mine locally many years ago. I use a blower with the condenser head regardless of what wattage bulb I use. L

Ginette
16-Apr-2017, 18:20
If you have the cold light head you probably don't need the heat absorbing glass which I need:rolleyes: Or if anyone reading this knows where I can get that glass please give a whistle.

I have one for you, original LACALO frame and glasses, like Luis post, original glasses came in 2 parts.
Do you need other head parts? I take a Durst 138 body to make a very nice copy stand!

Ginette
16-Apr-2017, 18:29
... That said, yesterday I was talking to an LED lamp guy about making a lamp setup that would slide into the condenser racks. It would only draw 3 amps or so and be around 25 watts. Probably run cooler than the Lacoli and I'm sure it would be less expensive. Steve, I also have lots of condensers.
Another interesting option is an Ilford head over the Durst 138. This way, you still use your condensers and variable contrast head work as a charm.
Steve Sherman have this set-up. Look at about 6:25 on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRlq8CwVvws
You need an adapter to fit the head over the Durst, Jay Overmoen (newvisionphoto on eBay) duplicate the original Ilford adapter.
You need specifically the medium format flush mount diffusion box and it will cover 5"x7" neg using the 240 condensers set.

Chauncey Walden
19-Apr-2017, 16:00
Thanks to Ginette I have a LACALO on the way but now I find that in all the bits I got with my enlarger the only lens boards are 2 LATUBs with 39mm inserts, 1 SEIMAR with a recessed 25mm mount, and a LATUB 25 with a 39mm mount. The one I need is a LAPLA 50. I put an entry on the WTB thread but thought I'd chime in here also to be consoled. In going through the box of stuff (which I hadn't done in 15 years) I found a receipt for the small nylon bevel gear that I had to buy to replace the broken one in the head elevator. Only $68. Don't you just love Durst?

Luis-F-S
19-Apr-2017, 16:17
I found a receipt for the small nylon bevel gear that I had to buy to replace the broken one in the head elevator. Only $68. Don't you just love Durst?
Try finding one now, you'll appreciate that one! You can have one of the Lapla 25's drilled out to the 50mm threads. That's what I normally do! L