PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting started in LF photography

ndwgolf
13-Jan-2017, 11:36
So I got a call from my mate that has one of the Leica dealerships in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and he was asking if I would be interested in a Sinair X Large Format (4x5) camera. We got chatting as I am currently in Nigeria on an Oil Rig and he is in KL. What he was saying is that for a small investment 5 to 6 $k I could have myself a LF camera.

About a year ago I got my very first film camera a Leica M6 TTL and about 6 months later I bought a Hasselblad 503CW (Man I love that Hasselblad) . A mate of mine on the Leica Forum S said at that point I would/should get a LF camera anything from a 4x5 to a 10x8. I checked with a mate of mine in KL that has a fully blown darkroom and he says he only has a enlarger for 4x5 but can do 8x10 contact prints, so I am THINKING about trying my hand at LF photography.

I quite fancy doing outdoor portraiture and landscape stuff all in B&W as number one I can develop by myself and number two there is nowhere in KL where they can develop color 4x5 film :( :( :(

Its pointless asking if I'm crazy as you already know the answer to that question, what I would like to find out is what LF camera would you guys recommend for a starter LF camera (just cose my mate has the Sinair for sale doesn't mean I have to buy that??

Any tips help would be much appreciated

Neil

Jac@stafford.net
13-Jan-2017, 11:40
There is a great deal of information on the home page.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Willie
13-Jan-2017, 12:31
"What he was saying is that for a small investment 5 to 6 $k I could have myself a LF camera."

Check carefully the cost of the type of 4x5 you look at online as you may well get a complete outfit, camera, lens/lenses, film holders, dark cloth, cable release, meter, case and accessories for a lot less than this amount. Not sure about pricing in your area of the world but it will pay you to do some looking around before you make the final decision.

Will Frostmill
13-Jan-2017, 12:35
Is that in US dollars? Seems off by an order of magnitude, unless this is some kind of collector's object. Interesting.

angusparker
13-Jan-2017, 13:32
If you are going outdoors and traveling around with it you should get yourself a folding 4x5 field camera. A brand new Chamonix 4x5 will set you back around $1k. Good second had folding cameras can be had for $500-600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two23
13-Jan-2017, 17:49
You could easily get a decent system for $1,500 U.S. However, just because you like a Leica M6 means nothing at all when it comes to 4x5. The M6 is easy to carry, quick to use, has built in meter. For 4x5 it takes about 15-20 minutes to get off a shot. You are limited in shutters speeds, usually 1/400s is tops. You pretty much have to use a tripod 100%, and take care to properly level it. Are you sure this fits your style and temperament? It's also about $5 per shot. An 8x10 is about $20. You might look into other film options out there, such as a Voigtlander Bessa I or II, Rolleiflex, or Mamiya RB system to see if these might fit your style better. I would not spend the money to get into something you aren't sure is the right choice.

Kent in SD

angusparker
13-Jan-2017, 17:52
You could easily get a decent system for $1,500 U.S. However, just because you like a Leica M6 means nothing at all when it comes to 4x5. The M6 is easy to carry, quick to use, has built in meter. For 4x5 it takes about 15-20 minutes to get off a shot. You are limited in shutters speeds, usually 1/400s is tops. You pretty much have to use a tripod 100%, and take care to properly level it. Are you sure this fits your style and temperament? It's also about $5 per shot. An 8x10 is about $20. You might look into other film options out there, such as a Voigtlander Bessa I or II, Rolleiflex, or Mamiya RB system to see if these might fit your style better. I would not spend the money to get into something you aren't sure is the right choice.

Kent in SD

Good points. If you want ease of use and a larger negative then medium format aka 120 might be a better option. I'd look at the Fujifilm GF670 - which has a built in meter.

ndwgolf
14-Jan-2017, 01:53
So I am looking at this for a starter camera

I really want to do portraiture with it so I guess I need a longer lens as the longest lens in the package is 150mm ................I'm thinking 250mm would be better what do you guys think?

Neil

ndwgolf
14-Jan-2017, 01:53
Thanks man I am going through it now

ndwgolf
14-Jan-2017, 01:56
Good points. If you want ease of use and a larger negative then medium format aka 120 might be a better option. I'd look at the Fujifilm GF670 - which has a built in meter.

Im using 120 now with Hasselblad 503CW

Pete Oakley
14-Jan-2017, 02:16
Go for 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back as well. I started with 4x5 and it really wasn't big enough after a while.

Huub
14-Jan-2017, 07:21
I really want to do portraiture with it so I guess I need a longer lens as the longest lens in the package is 150mm ................I'm thinking 250mm would be better what do you guys think?

Quite a few people use a 210mm for closer headshots. They are plentyfull and have tons of movements on 4x5. But that kind of shots can be done with a 240mm or 270mm too, of course. When you are using a field camera, like the one in the picture you included, you will be limited by bellows draw. The longer your lens is, the more bellows you need and that might become critical for close up shots. With a 210mm you will be able to manage to get a more or less full face picture with a camera that allows for 30 cm maximum bellows draw.

Pick any form Nikon, Fuji, Schneider or Rodenstock and you will be happy if you like sharp and clean results. If you want more 'character' in your shots, you need to do a bit of digging and search for older vintage lenses.

ndwgolf
14-Jan-2017, 07:49
Quite a few people use a 210mm for closer headshots. They are plentyfull and have tons of movements on 4x5. But that kind of shots can be done with a 240mm or 270mm too, of course. When you are using a field camera, like the one in the picture you included, you will be limited by bellows draw. The longer your lens is, the more bellows you need and that might become critical for close up shots. With a 210mm you will be able to manage to get a more or less full face picture with a camera that allows for 30 cm maximum bellows draw.

Pick any form Nikon, Fuji, Schneider or Rodenstock and you will be happy if you like sharp and clean results. If you want more 'character' in your shots, you need to do a bit of digging and search for older vintage lenses.
Thanks Huub,
I will have a look on eBay for a 210mm lens and hopefully I can find something at a reasonable price............Any Idea what I should expect to pay??
Neil

Louis Pacilla
14-Jan-2017, 08:37

Thanks Huub,
I will have a look on eBay for a 210mm lens and hopefully I can find something at a reasonable price............Any Idea what I should expect to pay??
Neil

Hey Neil
If your looking at buying the Wisner Tech 5x4 you have pictured then don't worry about your longer lens choice being to long for your bellows draw. The Wisner Tech field has 23" of bellows so if you like a longer focal length in your portrait lens then your free to look at 250mm-300mm and still have all kinds of bellows left to focus very close to your subject. Many 5x4 field cameras top out at 12-15" of bellows draw. This is one of the finer points of the Wisner Tech.

Here is a link to a Wisner catalog which will provide you with specs and more for the the camera you have posted photos of.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/wisner-expedition-technical/WisnerCatalog300dpiMonoChrome.pdf

I have owned a Wisner Tech 8x10 ( have a few lighter 8x10 field cameras as well) and while it's heavy it is so much like a rail/studio camera in use that I have not been able to bring myself to sell it. I mean w/ both front and rear rise/fall and 40" of bellows it does about all I need a mono rail studio camera to do and a BIG plus is it stores in a claim shell case and I bet there are few mono rails w/ 40" draw that can do that trick.

srpirolt
14-Jan-2017, 09:49
Hi Neil
That looks like a Wisner Technical Field 4x5. That was my very first 4x5 and is a very good and very capable field camera. …just make sure you protect the ground glass…speaking from experience! For portraiture, you may want to look at a 210mm lens (or something in the range of 180mm-250mm), which you can purchase for a very reasonable price on the used marked. You certainly don’t need to spend $5-6k on an outfit.
(Can’t believe this is my first post here…been following this forum for many years!)
Best,
René

srpirolt
14-Jan-2017, 10:01
Thanks Huub,
Neil
You can pick up a Fujinon W 210 f/5.6 for under $200. Don't forget you'll also need a Wisner Copal 1 lensboard.

ndwgolf
14-Jan-2017, 13:33
You can pick up a Fujinon W 210 f/5.6 for under $200. Don't forget you'll also need a Wisner Copal 1 lensboard.
Question

Why is the Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 240mm f/5.6 Lens $1950 verses $250 for the Fujinon 210mm lens...................is it kind of like Leica verses a Samyang lens ????

srpirolt
14-Jan-2017, 15:13
Question

Why is the Rodenstock Apo Sironar S 240mm f/5.6 Lens $1950 verses $250 for the Fujinon 210mm lens...................is it kind of like Leica verses a Samyang lens ????

Yes, sort of! First, a 240mm lens is usually a tad more expensive compared to a 210mm, if you are comparing lenses of the same brand and series. The 240mm f/5.6 lenses generally come in a copal 3 shutter whereas the 210 f/5.6 come in a copal 1 shutter. The 240mm f/5.6 is a large and heavy lens, better suited to the 8x10 format and probably not something you want to use on a 4x5! Second, yes the Sironar-S series from Rodenstock (as compared to the Sironar-N series) is a "better" version that has a larger angle of coverage. There have been many discussions on the boards regarding the differences of the N and the S these series - just do a search. If you want a 240mm lens for a 4x5, I would suggest the Fujinon A 240mm f/9.

David Karp
14-Jan-2017, 16:25
Question

One reason is that the 240mm lens comes in a larger, more expensive No. 3 shutter. Another reason is that the 210mm focal length is one of the most popular. I'll bet every pro LF user had one and most of the amateurs too. More of them being available, there is more competition to sell off the used 210s. If you think the 240mm is expensive, check out prices on the 360mm! As already mentioned, the Rodenstock APO Sironar S version is the top of the line. The Fujinon is a nice lens. If you are looking for an excellent lens in the 240mm range in a smaller shutter at a lower budget, search the forum here and the web for information on the 250mm f/6.7 Fujinon. It lives in a Copal No. 1 shutter.

Dan Fromm
14-Jan-2017, 16:53
Question

Neil, the seller is ambitions, perhaps delusional.

Y'r Samyang analogy is inapt. It is very hard to make a bad mistake when buying a lens made by the big four (in alphabetical order, Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock, Schneider) as long as the lens is in good order.

It is hard to justify getting a 240/5.6 Apo-Sironar S, claimed coverage at f/22 372 mm, over a 250/5.6 Apo-Sironar N, claimed coverage at f/22 350 mm, for 4x5. 8x10,maybe. If you must have one, be patient and wait for a 240/5.6 Apo Sinaron SE (same lens) in Sinar DB mount and then buy a #3 for it. If you go Sinar, don't bother with buying a #3, use a Sinar shutter behind all of your lenses.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Jan-2017, 17:00
What Dan Fromm said very well.
Look out. Be informed.

ndwgolf
14-Jan-2017, 23:38
Hey Neil
If your looking at buying the Wisner Tech 5x4 you have pictured then don't worry about your longer lens choice being to long for your bellows draw. The Wisner Tech field has 23" of bellows so if you like a longer focal length in your portrait lens then your free to look at 250mm-300mm and still have all kinds of bellows left to focus very close to your subject. Many 5x4 field cameras top out at 12-15" of bellows draw. This is one of the finer points of the Wisner Tech.

Here is a link to a Wisner catalog which will provide you with specs and more for the the camera you have posted photos of.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/wisner-expedition-technical/WisnerCatalog300dpiMonoChrome.pdfThanks for the link

I have owned a Wisner Tech 8x10 ( have a few lighter 8x10 field cameras as well) and while it's heavy it is so much like a rail/studio camera in use that I have not been able to bring myself to sell it. I mean w/ both front and rear rise/fall and 40" of bellows it does about all I need a mono rail studio camera to do and a BIG plus is it stores in a claim shell case and I bet there are few mono rails w/ 40" draw that can do that trick.

ndwgolf
14-Jan-2017, 23:40
Yes, sort of! First, a 240mm lens is usually a tad more expensive compared to a 210mm, if you are comparing lenses of the same brand and series. The 240mm f/5.6 lenses generally come in a copal 3 shutter whereas the 210 f/5.6 come in a copal 1 shutter. The 240mm f/5.6 is a large and heavy lens, better suited to the 8x10 format and probably not something you want to use on a 4x5! Second, yes the Sironar-S series from Rodenstock (as compared to the Sironar-N series) is a "better" version that has a larger angle of coverage. There have been many discussions on the boards regarding the differences of the N and the S these series - just do a search. If you want a 240mm lens for a 4x5, I would suggest the Fujinon A 240mm f/9.
Cheers mate..............I will just get the Fujinon

Leigh
14-Jan-2017, 23:54
It is hard to justify getting a 240/5.6 Apo-Sironar S, claimed coverage at f/22 372 mm, over a 250/5.6 Apo-Sironar N, claimed coverage at f/22 350 mm, for 4x5. 8x10,maybe.
Hi Dan,

I think you mean the 240/5.6 APO-Sironar N, not 250mm. I don't find a 250mm in that series.
I have both of those lenses, and can't tell any difference in quality of the images.

The N is mounted on a Zone VI board for use on the 4x5, while the S is on a Sinar board for use on the 8x10.

I've not attempted any critical comparison of quality since I shoot different films in those two formats.
Both lenses are excellent to my eye.

I have several Fuji lenses (though not this one) and have found them to be excellent.
But they're not in the same class as the APO-Sironar-* lenses.

- Leigh

Two23
15-Jan-2017, 01:22
The thing about 4x5 is you are not limited to modern lenses. I have three modern lenses (Copal shutters), but only use them when I need to sync flash. That's almost always when I shoot trains at night. For portraits, I virtually never use a modern lens. What's the point? Instead, I typically use a lens that 80-100 years old. I have a Dagor 240mm made in 1912 that is superb for portraits. Also use a 165mm Tessar made in 1914. My favorite for small family portraits is a 1924 Heliar 150mm. At other times I use one of my Petzvals that was made from 1845 to 1864, depending on what look I'm after and how patient my subject is. A modern lens will give a modern look. What's the point of that?

Kent in SD

ndwgolf
15-Jan-2017, 08:39
So seeing as we have moved from thinking to executing, have I missed anything as far as equipment is concerned to be able to go out and take pictures???. Below is what I have coming;
•Wiseman 4 x 5 Camera
•3 lenses 90, 150 and 210mm all with the wiseman lens boards
•6 film holders
•Paterson developing tank
•4 x 5 color and black and white film
•Dark cloth........ :) :) :)
•I will get a pair of focusing glasses made when I get home so that everything 4 to 5 inches away from my face will be sharp (recommendation from the LF Forum)

Things I already have
•Big ass tripod
•leveling plate
•B&W chemicals
•Darkroom
Cabel release
spot meter
•Loads od patience

If I'm missing anything please chirp in ?????

srpirolt
15-Jan-2017, 10:13
Great combo of lenses - exactly what I bought for my first three lenses. Looks like you have everything you need. You may also consider getting a changing bag tent for the field, such as a Harrison Change Tent or the less expensive Photoflex Film Changing Room. Get a couple of spare cable releases. They tend to wear out. Also a case or backpack if you plan on hiking away from the car. Enjoy!

ndwgolf
17-Jan-2017, 11:15
Guys
I'm now contemplating upgrading to a 10 x 8 instead of the 5 x 4 and want to know what lens to get for landscape. The camera comes with a 300mm f5.6 c 3 and was advised not to get anything under a 135mm

locutus
17-Jan-2017, 11:47
Do you know already why you want 8x10 instead of 4x5?

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2017, 11:49
Guys
I'm now contemplating upgrading to a 10 x 8 instead of the 5 x 4 and want to know what lens to get for landscape. The camera comes with a 300mm f5.6 c 3 and was advised not to get anything under a 135mm

From what I have seen, there are two types of wide angle lenses that you can use for 8x10. Inexpensive ones that barely cover the format or expensive, huge, heavy lenses that allow for camera movements.

My widest 8x10 lens is an inexpensive Fuji W 250mm f/6.7 lens. It has plenty of coverage but is just slightly wide. To me if feels like a 35mm lens for a 35mm camera.

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2017, 11:50

+1

ndwgolf
17-Jan-2017, 11:57
I have no idea. I have been watching Clyde Butcher movies and that is what he shoots, so I thought why wait for the inevitable just get it now and be done with it.

Bob Salomon
17-Jan-2017, 11:58
Guys

That isn't good advice, it is incomplete advice.

To see what lens you would need tell us what format you use now and what your favorite lens is for that format. Then we can tell you what the equivalent lens, in coverage, would be for whatever new format you are looking at.
Just think about 810 a bit though, you will need a much bigger and heavier tripod, you will need a new and stronger tripod head, the amera will be much bulkier and heavier then a 45. The lenses will be much larger and heavier then most 45 lenses. Their fastest shutter speed will be much slower then the shutters on most 45 lenses, the film is far more expensive and much less available. What will you do with the shot film? Make enlargements - wait till you see the size and cost of an 810 enlarger, not to mention lenses for the enlarger. Or do you just want to make contact prints? Think about a 35mm negative that is enlarged into a wallet size print. That is the same amount of magnification needed to make a 45 negative into an 8x10" print. 2x. Is it really worth all the added expense and weight to haul around an 810 rather then a 45 if your negative difference is only 2x larger?
Lastly, if you decide to get rid of the 810 system you will probably find it more difficult then getting your money back from 45.

A 300mm on 810 is a short normal lens. Similar to a 135 on 45.

A wide angle for 810 can be shorter then 135mm but wait till you see the size and weight, not to mention the cost of the center filter!

And that 300mm could also be very large and heavy and require much larger filters then you might have now.

ndwgolf
17-Jan-2017, 12:00
From what I have seen, there are two types of wide angle lenses that you can use for 8x10. Inexpensive ones that barely cover the format or expensive, huge, heavy lenses that allow for camera movements.

My widest 8x10 lens is an inexpensive Fuji W 250mm f/6.7 lens. It has plenty of coverage but is just slightly wide. To me if feels like a 35mm lens for a 35mm camera.
Ive just come of the phone with him and he's recommending a 210mm Rodenstock

Two23
17-Jan-2017, 12:03
Cost is the main reason I decided against going with 8x10, plus the expense of scanning it. I've settle on 5x7 as my largest, but honestly I shoot with the svelte Chamonix 045n about five times for every one time I take out the 5x7. The other reason I decided against 8x10 is I live on the Northern Plains, a notoriously windy place. An 8x10 would constantly catch the wind and be more difficult to get a sharp photo from. For me, anything bigger than 5x7 quickly becomes impractical.

Kent in SD

ndwgolf
17-Jan-2017, 12:04
That isn't good advice, it is incomplete advice.

To see what lens you would need tell us what format you use now and what your favorite lens is for that format. Then we can tell you what the equivalent lens, in coverage, would be for whatever new format you are looking at.
Just think about 810 a bit though, you will need a much bigger and heavier tripod, you will need a new and stronger tripod head, the amera will be much bulkier and heavier then a 45. The lenses will be much larger and heavier then most 45 lenses. Their fastest shutter speed will be much slower then the shutters on most 45 lenses, the film is far more expensive and much less available. What will you do with the shot film? Make enlargements - wait till you see the size and cost of an 810 enlarger, not to mention lenses for the enlarger. Or do you just want to make contact prints? Think about a 35mm negative that is enlarged into a wallet size print. That is the same amount of magnification needed to make a 45 negative into an 8x10" print. 2x. Is it really worth all the added expense and weight to haul around an 810 rather then a 45 if your negative difference is only 2x larger?
Lastly, if you decide to get rid of the 810 system you will probably find it more difficult then getting your money back from 45.
Thanks Bob
No I did not think abut all those things, so thanks for bringing them up.......I guess the 8 x 10 looked cool, and Clyde sells a good story

locutus
17-Jan-2017, 12:04
I have no idea. I have been watching Clyde Butcher movies and that is what he shoots, so I thought why wait for the inevitable just get it now and be done with it.

Except that this is not a 'inevitable upgrade' in any way, 4x5 and 8x10 are quite different beasts.

Bob Salomon
17-Jan-2017, 12:08

A 210 will just cover 810, if he is talking about the Apo Sironar S then you would have a couple of mm of extra coverage for very limited movements. If he is talking about the Apo Sironar or the Apo Sironar W then you will have 8° of additional movement. If he is talking about the Apo Sironar N or the Sironar N then you just might cover 810 with no real movement capability. If he is talking about the Sironar then it won't cover 810.
You had best have him be specific.

Two23
17-Jan-2017, 12:10
One sheet of Portra 160 4x5: $3.40
One sheet of Portra 160 8x10 $13.50

One sheet FP4 4x5: $1.40
One sheet FP4 8x10 $4.40

Kent in SD

Bob Salomon
17-Jan-2017, 12:26
One sheet of Portra 160 4x5: $3.40
One sheet of Portra 160 8x10 $13.50

One sheet FP4 4x5: $1.40
One sheet FP4 8x10 $4.40

Kent in SD
You should also include the cost of chemistry.

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2017, 12:30

Rodenstock made a 210mm Sironar N, Sironar S and a Sironar W. The W with a 352 image circle at F22 is the only one recommended for 8x10. You may get by with an S with little to no movements. Both the S and W versions are expensive lenses. My Fuj 250mm f/6.7 has an image circle of 398 for comparison.

http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/largeformat_en.html

Why not buy an inexpensive used 4x5 with a 150mm normal lens to try out large format? I started with a cheap Cambo monorail with a 210mm lens. I actually made money on it when I sold it and bought a new 4x5 Tachihara. I broke even on the Tachi when I sold it and bought my used 8x10 Wehman.

I only shoot 8x10 b&w. I have a 4x5 reduction back for shooting color or I shoot my medium format camera or digital camera. I can't afford 8x10 color film.

John Kasaian
17-Jan-2017, 13:40
So I got a call from my mate that has one of the Leica dealerships in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia and he was asking if I would be interested in a Sinair X Large Format (4x5) camera. We got chatting as I am currently in Nigeria on an Oil Rig and he is in KL. What he was saying is that for a small investment 5 to 6 $k I could have myself a LF camera.

About a year ago I got my very first film camera a Leica M6 TTL and about 6 months later I bought a Hasselblad 503CW (Man I love that Hasselblad) . A mate of mine on the Leica Forum S said at that point I would/should get a LF camera anything from a 4x5 to a 10x8. I checked with a mate of mine in KL that has a fully blown darkroom and he says he only has a enlarger for 4x5 but can do 8x10 contact prints, so I am THINKING about trying my hand at LF photography.

I quite fancy doing outdoor portraiture and landscape stuff all in B&W as number one I can develop by myself and number two there is nowhere in KL where they can develop color 4x5 film :( :( :(

Its pointless asking if I'm crazy as you already know the answer to that question, what I would like to find out is what LF camera would you guys recommend for a starter LF camera (just cose my mate has the Sinair for sale doesn't mean I have to buy that??

Any tips help would be much appreciated

Neil

Do you have a dark enough space on your oil rig to load and unload film holders and a daylight tank? If not, budget in a changing bag.

Bob Salomon
17-Jan-2017, 13:56
Rodenstock makes a 210mm Sironar N, Sironar S and a Sironar W. The W with a 352 image circle at F22 is the only one recommended for 8x10. You may get by with an S with little to no movements. Both the S and W versions are expensive lenses. My Fuj 250mm f/6.7 has an image circle of 398 for comparison.

http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/largeformat_en.html

Why not buy an inexpensive used 4x5 with a 150mm normal lens to try out large format? I started with a cheap Cambo monorail with a 210mm lens. I actually made money on it when I sold it and bought a new 4x5 Tachihara. I broke even on the Tachi when I sold it and bought my used 8x10 Wehman.

I only shoot 8x10 b&w. I have a 4x5 reduction back for shooting color or I shoot my medium format camera or digital camera. I can't afford 8x10 color film.

You should post links to Rodenstock's site, not third party sites.
Rodenstock discontinued the manufacture of all of their analog lenses except for the 135, 150 and 210 S series a few years ago. And it appears that these three are no longer made either. However dealers may still have some new lenses left in stock. So may some distributors.

Here is the Rodenstock factory web site link to their products and downloads.

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/products

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2017, 14:50
You should post links to Rodenstock's site, not third party sites.
Rodenstock discontinued the manufacture of all of their analog lenses except for the 135, 150 and 210 S series a few years ago. And it appears that these three are no longer made either. However dealers may still have some new lenses left in stock. So may some distributors.

Here is the Rodenstock factory web site link to their products and downloads.

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/products

Ok, Bob. You had me confused until I reread my post. I know that they have been discontinued. I don't know why I put "makes". What I should have said was Rodenstock made a 210mm Sironar N, Sironar S and Sironar W. My mistake. I have corrected my post.

I used another site because it gave the image circles of the older lenses.

Thank you for the correction.

Bob Salomon
17-Jan-2017, 14:56
Ok, Bob. You had me confused until I reread my post. I know that they have been discontinued. I don't know why I put "makes". What I should have said was Rodenstock made a 210mm Sironar N, Sironar S and Sironar W. My mistake. I have corrected my post.

I used another site because it gave the image circles of the older lenses.

Thank you for the correction.

The Rodenstock factory web site also has older image circles. You click on service, then downloads and then go to the listing for archival downloads.

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2017, 15:19
The Rodenstock factory web site also has older image circles. You click on service, then downloads and then go to the listing for archival downloads.

Thanks. I clicked on it and they have the specs on the APO Sironar S and some other lenses but I didn't see anything on the older Sironar N or the Sironar W.

Alan Gales
17-Jan-2017, 15:27
In my opinion the OP is confused like most of us were when we started out and needs to buy an inexpensive used 4x5 and a normal lens. Sheet film isn't for everyone. If he likes it he can always sell and buy something else if he desires.

Gary Tarbert
17-Jan-2017, 16:13
I have a 8x10 and a 5x4 ,the 8x10 stays at home most of the time , By the time you put 4 film holders in your backpack a couple of lenses and the camera , it all gets quite heavy , And mine is not considered a heavy 8x10 it is a Chamonix , My favourite format that i have ever shot is 5x8 (8x10 film cut in half) when i had this camera i took it out more often than my 5x4 , I so regret selling it

ndwgolf
17-Jan-2017, 21:46
I woke up this morning and I will be sticking with the 4 x 5
Thanks for all the feedback guys............I am sure I will have a bunch more questions once I get my hands on this camera :)

ndwgolf
18-Jan-2017, 00:36
In my opinion the OP is confused like most of us were when we started out and needs to buy an inexpensive used 4x5 and a normal lens. Sheet film isn't for everyone. If he likes it he can always sell and buy something else if he desires.
Yes I am sir and I am happy to learn.............youve all helped me tons already and its much appreciated