PDA

View Full Version : Kodak HC-110 Higher Dilution and Increased Time

IanBarber
12-Jan-2017, 08:13
My question is geared towards 4x5 sheet film, processed in a Paterson tank, inverted manually.

When using HC110, does increasing the dilution and increasing the development time have any side effects (lack of sharpness, contrast etc etc)

For example:
If the suggested time is 6 minutes with Dilution B (1:31) would using 12 Minutes with a dilution of (1:63) yield the same result?

loonatic45414
12-Jan-2017, 08:27
Try it & let us know

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Jim Noel
12-Jan-2017, 09:16
My question is geared towards 4x5 sheet film, processed in a Paterson tank, inverted manually.

When using HC110, does increasing the dilution and increasing the development time have any side effects (lack of sharpness, contrast etc etc)

For example:
If the suggested time is 6 minutes with Dilution B (1:31) would using 12 Minutes with a dilution of (1:63) yield the same result?

It depends on the film, subject matter and lighting. I often use 1:100 to get longer scaled negatives.

Ari
12-Jan-2017, 09:37

For example:

Increasing dilution increases development and contrast; you can add more contrast by inverting more frequently or vigorously.
Normally doubling the dilution also doubles the development time, but that should be used only as a starting point to finding your ideal combination of time, concentration and agitation.

Try, try and try again; that's how you'll know what works best for you.

Alan9940
12-Jan-2017, 09:56
Ian,

Have you seen this: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

Lots of info regarding HC-110.

Jan Pietrzak
12-Jan-2017, 10:03
Ian,
Go to covingtoninnovations this research is a good starting point.....also be careful of depletion rates for the chemistry....jp

Doremus Scudder
12-Jan-2017, 10:29
Increasing dilution (provided that you have enough stock for the amount of film you are developing) just increases the developing time. I have made negatives that are identical for all intents and purposes with HC-110 1+31 and 1+63, just developed at different times. I liked the higher dilution due to the longer times for N- developments, which with dil. B could often be less than four minutes.

Interestingly, I found I got better N+ negs with higher dilutions of HC-110; less overall fog and more snap in the highlights. I don't really understand why though.

Increased grain should not be an issue; HC-110 was never a "fine-grain" developer in the sense that it had enough sulfite to soften grain like D76 at full strength does.

Best,

Doremus

IanBarber
12-Jan-2017, 10:59
Thanks for the comments, I am going to do a series of test at different dilutions to see if I can see any differences

Will Frostmill
12-Jan-2017, 11:31
I hate to suggest something that might waste film, but...! You might try doing two negatives (or two clip tests) absolutely identically, and check to see if the results are actually identical. This lets you check if your normal procedure has more variation than changing your time & dilution.

Ken Lee
12-Jan-2017, 11:45
As dilution increases, you will eventually reach the point where you realize - by analogy - that 9 women can't have a baby in 1 month :cool:

BetterSense
13-Jan-2017, 05:36
I always use HC110 at 50:1, the same as I do Rodinal. I find Dilution B gives short development times and results in consuming more developer overall.

Tobias Key
13-Jan-2017, 09:49
I use HC110 diluted 1+49 in a combiplan tank. Most films are developed in around the 10 min mark, which suits the slow fill/drain characteristics of the tank. I invert the the tank twice every minute. I have played around with developing times until was happy. The massive dev chart has lots of information but I have never considered it authoritative, as it is impossible to know the skill level of the people supplying the information.

loonatic45414
14-Jan-2017, 07:48
The massive dev chart has lots of information but I have never considered it authoritative, as it is impossible to know the skill level of the people supplying the information.

Yes. Would be nice if additional info was considered, if nothing else, dynamic range & density readings. But then, you have several changes in the emulsions over the years as in the case of Tri-X and almost the whole Arista line.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

kintatsu
23-Jan-2017, 10:42
I use HC-110 at dilution h with FP-4+ for tray development of my 4x5 film. My time is 1 minute initial agitation, followed by 1 tip of the tray every 10 seconds, alternating sides each tip. The initial agitation is 1 tip of the tray every second, alternating sides. The total time is 9 minutes. For roll films, I use dilution B for the same time, with less agitation, and get the same results.

This gives me zi density of .1 and zviii if 1.3 at box speed (125). For HP5+ at box speed, I go with 10 minutes total for the same readings. My meter is a Gossen Starlite 2. I've noticed no decrease in quality over Tetenal Ultrafin or Ultrafin plus using this method. There is also no noticeable difference between my roll films and sheet films. Plus, my consistency has also improved.

Bruce Watson
23-Jan-2017, 12:26
When using HC110, does increasing the dilution and increasing the development time have any side effects (lack of sharpness, contrast etc etc).

This is covered in texts such as Grant Haist's massive two volume tome Modern Photographic Processing. Haist put all his years of accumulated knowledge from working for Kodak down on paper and published it (with Kodak's blessing). My local university research library has a copy.

To answer your question, basically what happens when you dilute a developer is that you dilute everything in the developer. In this case, that means you dilute the sodium sulfite too. The end result is that you increase development time and also increase grain size (a tiny bit, you'll be hard pressed to see it until you go beyond 15x enlargement). The grain will also be a bit sharper (again, a tiny bit).

If you keep everything else equal (nearly impossible outside of a laboratory setting) you won't see any change at all in overall contrast. Don't believe me -- read Haist. He explains it better than I do anyway.

In my own experiments with HC110, Tri-X 5x4 sheets, and various dilutions, I've found Haist to be right on the money. That is, all I really got from increasing dilution was a longer development time. Which was exactly what I was after.