PDA

View Full Version : Pushing 8x10 sheet film?

pkr1979
12-Jan-2017, 02:37
Hi,

My favorite films are Portra 160 and Ektar. However I tend to find myself in situations where lightning isnt sufficient. Did anyone push these films or Portra 400 successfully? And by how much? Also, if anyone pushes black and white that is also something I might be interested in.

Cheers
Peter

Drew Bedo
12-Jan-2017, 06:46
Therre are two darkroom forums here. Perhaps this thread should go there.

rdenney
12-Jan-2017, 06:52
Peter, I moved this to the forum devoted to film processing, which I think will expose it to a greater likelihood of attracting the response you need.

Rick "carry on" Denney

LabRat
12-Jan-2017, 07:07
Have you ever pushed CN film??? It gets a little hard/harsh, can be hard to color balance, and the shadow values fall right out of the image when properly printed...

B/W picks up contrast, and looses shadow areas (favoring highlights)... Grain increases...

If you are in dimmer light, there's nothing like a good exposure!!!

Steve K

koraks
12-Jan-2017, 07:08
There's no reason why sheet film would respond differently to pushing from roll film. Hence, experiences with roll film would apply as well, I would say.
Having said that, I never push print film. I would think that 1-2 stops should not be a problem, but shadow detail can be expected to suffer from 2 stops upward. If anyone can comment from first hand experience, that would of course be better than my random thoughts.

loonatic45414
12-Jan-2017, 07:24
An underexposure is just that. While highlights could be brought up by pushing, the rest stays dark. Fix the lighting or get a faster film. With color, worse. You get color shifts.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

ic-racer
12-Jan-2017, 14:51
Hi,

My favorite films are Portra 160 and Ektar. However I tend to find myself in situations where lightning isnt sufficient. Did anyone push these films or Portra 400 successfully? And by how much? Also, if anyone pushes black and white that is also something I might be interested in.

Cheers
Peter

"Shadow detail" and "Large Format" go together like "View Camera" and "Large Format." That is, in my work, they are inseparable. So, no I have never underexposed a B&W Large Format negative on purpose.

pkr1979
12-Jan-2017, 23:12
It should. Sorry.

Therre are two darkroom forums here. Perhaps this thread should go there.

pkr1979
12-Jan-2017, 23:12
Thanks.

Peter, I moved this to the forum devoted to film processing, which I think will expose it to a greater likelihood of attracting the response you need.

Rick "carry on" Denney

pkr1979
13-Jan-2017, 03:48
I havent really needed to push that much so I never really bothered to mainly because of the things mentioned above. However, I saw this and was quite impressed: http://canlasphotography.blogspot.no/2015/04/kodak-ektar-rated-at-800-and-pushed-3.html Especially because I expected Ektar to not handle pushing at all... Anyway, that made me think that Portra 400 could be pushed just as many stops? I wish I could do something with the lightning situation but I cant, and the subjects are moving... so I dont see that many other options. So if anyone did push with a certain degree of success Id like to know. As its mentioned above its the same as pushing smaller formats but I would be interested in opinions and tips anyway. I suppose the grain part is not as relevant with 8x10 :-)

koraks
13-Jan-2017, 05:33
If the subjects are moving, isn't focus a really tricky issue with 8x10? Or can you get the subjects to only move exactly in the plane of sharp focus? If so, teach me your trick ;)

pkr1979
13-Jan-2017, 06:04
Hehe :-) There is no trick - the subjects are moving along the focus plane :-)

Kirk Gittings
13-Jan-2017, 08:47
I havent really needed to push that much so I never really bothered to mainly because of the things mentioned above. However, I saw this and was quite impressed: http://canlasphotography.blogspot.no/2015/04/kodak-ektar-rated-at-800-and-pushed-3.html Especially because I expected Ektar to not handle pushing at all... Anyway, that made me think that Portra 400 could be pushed just as many stops? I wish I could do something with the lightning situation but I cant, and the subjects are moving... so I dont see that many other options. So if anyone did push with a certain degree of success Id like to know. As its mentioned above its the same as pushing smaller formats but I would be interested in opinions and tips anyway. I suppose the grain part is not as relevant with 8x10 :-)

So one thing to think about-you need to think about final his and your product. He is scanning his film and presumably optimizing his images there. If you are printing traditionally you probably won't be able to match his results.