PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite to Flood the Weekend

tgtaylor
5-Jan-2017, 01:34
I was planning to drive-up this weekend for the big snow that's expected and ordered a new set of chains for the car. But just a few minutes ago the late news weatherman is predicting 18" of rain in the Sierra over the weekend resulting in 18' of snow on the crest but 18" of rain lower down would surelt flood the Merced. I checked online and the park is advising to postpone visiting the park starting tomorrow, Thursday, until this situation clears-up. In addition to the 18' of rain expected, that much rain will also wash away the accumulated snow pack at the lower elevations and the result will be the biggest flood in the valley to date: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Yosemite-s-Merced-River-threatens-to-spill-its-10835812.php#photo-12139329

Thomas

Leszek Vogt
5-Jan-2017, 03:34
Are ye kiddn me, Thomas ? "18' of rain expected", I mean even Ketchikan don't get this much:confused:

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2017, 08:23
LOL! I just bought new snow cables for my bride's Passat!
They've been talking about the possibility of Yosemite Valley flooding on the local news.
What a mess that'll be!

Louis Pacilla
5-Jan-2017, 09:15
Are ye kiddn me, Thomas ? "18' of rain expected", I mean even Ketchikan don't get this much:confused:

I believe Thomas actually said " They are predicting 18" INCHES of rain in the Sierra over the weekend resulting in 18' of snow on the crest but 18" of rain lower down" yea like 18 inches is not enough but 18 feet of rain would mean we'll all be swimming. Even those of us on the east coast:rolleyes: .

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2017, 10:56
Memo to self: pack the extra tall tripod :rolleyes:

Vaughn
5-Jan-2017, 12:09
A good friend of mine was living/working in Yosemite Valley during the last big flood. Tourists were all kicked out, but he had a good time photographing and exploring the flooding -- and had the place almost to himself. One of his images ended up being used on an interpretive sign about the flood on one of the foot bridges over the Merced River in the Valley.

Another friend grew up in Yosemite Valley in the 50's and 60's -- she remembers canoeing in the meadows.

Preston
5-Jan-2017, 15:57
A look at NWS-Sacramento (http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sto/) today shows 10-15" of rain in Yosemite over the weekend, and 12-24" of snow for Saturday above 7,000'. We are likely to get 7-10 inches of rain here in Columbia. The extended forecast also looks to be very wet.

I am glad I have new tires, wipers, and Goretex boots!

Be safe out there everyone!
-P

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2017, 22:54
I'll be at home sipping warm Cognac, if anyone asks :)

Preston
6-Jan-2017, 15:04
Here is an update from our local news in Tuolumne County:

Update at 1:40 p.m.:Yosemite National Park officials now report that all roads leading into Yosemite Valley will close today at 5 p.m. due to a significant winter storm moving into the region early tomorrow morning as projected by the National Weather Service. The National Park Service is concerned that the Merced River could flood. The river is expected to peak sometime late Sunday afternoon. Park officials say the roads leading into Yosemite Valley will remain closed at least through Sunday.

Visitors planning to head to the park are urged to monitor weather reports and check road conditions before leaving. Additionally, park services and facilities will be limited through the coming storm and assessment. The park provided this list of areas that will be open this weekend:

Hetch Hetchy via Evergreen Road will remain open daily from 9am – 5 p.m.

Along Big Oak Flat Road (Hwy 120 West): Hodgdon Meadow Campground will remain open on a first come, first served basis, Tuolumne Grove and Merced Grove will remain open, and Crane Flat Gas Station is open (credit cards only)
The Big Oak Flat Road will be closed at the junction to Foresta.

Along the Wawona Road (Hwy 41): Wawona Campground will remain open on a first come, first served basis. Visitors will have access to the Redwoods Guest Cottages. There will be access to Yosemite West.* The Wawona Road will be closed at Chinquapin (no access will be available to the Glacier Point Road)

The El Portal Road (Hwy 140) will be closed at the park line in El Portal. Businesses along Hwy 140 outside of the park are anticipated to remain open

Be safe out there!
--P

tgtaylor
6-Jan-2017, 15:25
According to the weather report on Channel 2 this morning, moderate to heavy rainfall will continue through next week. If that happens the damage to the park will well exceed the damage of the 1997 and the park will be closed for months. On the bright side back country lakes in the Sierra that have suffered during the recent drought will be recharged.

Thomas

Jerry Bodine
6-Jan-2017, 17:27
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was: "Flooded by touristas? ... in January?!!!" :confused:

John Kasaian
7-Jan-2017, 11:49
Winter is actually a wonderful time to visit. When there is new snow in the Valley, it's downright enchanting.

Jerry Bodine
7-Jan-2017, 12:04
Winter is actually a wonderful time to visit. When there is new snow in the Valley, it's downright enchanting.

Absolutely true, John. I recall my last AA workshop there in January '71 that concentrated on handling photography of snow scenes. In addition to the winter wonderland, there is also the joy of being quite alone without the throngs. That was my second outing with the new Sinar Norma 8x10.

Vaughn
7-Jan-2017, 15:02
I do like the snow! Platinum print (8x10), El Capitan Meadow many years back.

John Kasaian
7-Jan-2017, 20:01
I just learned that a close friend fell 1500' off a hiking trail yesterday. Horrible.
Be careful out there.

Roger Thoms
7-Jan-2017, 21:03
John, sorry to hear about your friend, it's never easy.

Roger

tgtaylor
9-Jan-2017, 14:35
Latest News from NPS:

Yosemite Valley will reopen on Tuesday at 8 am
Following a flood this weekend, Yosemite Valley will reopen on Tuesday at 8 am with very limited services. All services should be operational on Wednesday. El Portal Rd (Hwy 140) will be closed at least through Tuesday morning due to a rockfall.

The waterfalls are going at full blast...might be worth a quick trip up.

Thomas

Mark Sampson
9-Jan-2017, 20:22
This news even made the front page of today's Washington Post. Usually such info is buried inside, but perhaps the editors were interested by the fact that it cost $250 million(!) to recover from the floods of '97 and that it took until 2012 to finish the repairs. To be sure, this storm sounds like trouble- be careful up there folks!

John Kasaian
9-Jan-2017, 21:14
John, sorry to hear about your friend, it's never easy.

RogerThanks Roger. He was hiking off Glacier Point road---not sure of exact location---Friday the rangers said they couldn't retrieve his body until the Spring so perhaps with reopening the Valley, conditions might have improved enough for a recovery. That would be a comfort to his mother. His dad was involved in SAR in Fresno County for a long time.

Merg Ross
9-Jan-2017, 21:48
John, my thoughts are with your friend's family, and of course with you. Never easy, the loss of a close friend.

Best,

Merg

Preston
10-Jan-2017, 10:51
Sad to hear about the loss of your friend, John.

On a note related to the series of storms impacting California, a Giant Sequoia tree in Calaveras Big Trees State Park succumbed to the rains and toppled. This tree had a 'tunnel' that visitors could walk through. More from our local news, here (http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/280013/iconic-tunnel-tree-falls-in-calaveras-big-trees.html).

Please be safe, everyone!
--P

tgtaylor
10-Jan-2017, 12:04
Sorry to hear about your friends death John. It sounds like it occurred at Taft Point - one place where you do not want to slip and fall.

Snow is again building up in the valley and the waterfalls are roaring but the snow line is forecast to rise to 7000' later today before again falling. This back and forth movement of the rain/snow line could provide for some excellent photo opportunities. I just called the park and all roads in the valley are open with chain (R2) restrictions. Blizzard conditions exist to the east.

Thomas

David Karp
10-Jan-2017, 14:15
I just learned . . . .

So sorry John.

John Kasaian
10-Jan-2017, 14:37
Sorry to hear about your friends death John. It sounds like it occurred at Taft Point - one place where you do not want to slip and fall.

Snow is again building up in the valley and the waterfalls are roaring but the snow line is forecast to rise to 7000' later today before again falling. This back and forth movement of the rain/snow line could provide for some excellent photo opportunities. I just called the park and all roads in the valley are open with chain (R2) restrictions. Blizzard conditions exist to the east.

Thomas

Yeah, my information is all fourth hand, but Taft Point and The Fissures were my first thought as well.

DavidFisk
10-Jan-2017, 20:36
I just learned that a close friend fell 1500' off a hiking trail yesterday. Horrible.
Be careful out there.

Let me add my condolences. I'm heading up there this weekend for my annual MLK jaunt. Assuming that 140 will be opened, I'll think of you and your friend and pass on any news I might get from the rangers.

Take care, all. Winter beauty can be treacherous.

tgtaylor
8-Feb-2017, 21:37
If you are thinking about heading to Yosemite this weekend ( I may go next week sometime), the Merced is currently 1 foot over flood stage (10ft) with more rain tomorrow and Friday. The new system is a warm one with snow level rising to around 10,000 foot so the rain will melt the snow pack below and add to the water levels in the river and streams.

Anyone out there thinking about Horsetail Falls?

Thomas

DavidFisk
12-Feb-2017, 23:57
If you are thinking about heading to Yosemite this weekend ( I may go next week sometime), the Merced is currently 1 foot over flood stage (10ft) with more rain tomorrow and Friday. The new system is a warm one with snow level rising to around 10,000 foot so the rain will melt the snow pack below and add to the water levels in the river and streams.

Anyone out there thinking about Horsetail Falls?

Thomas

Definitely hoping for sun late pm this weekend. Sun or no, I'm heading there Friday.

Jmarmck
13-Feb-2017, 12:26
Hmm could be a natural Hetch Hetchy before all is said and done.

seabee1999
19-Feb-2017, 10:41
I'll be heading up there on Feb 28th and leaving the morning of the Mar 3rd. If anyone else is going up then and would like to meet up for a shoot or just for a cup of coffee just PM me.

R/
Dave

John Kasaian
20-Feb-2017, 06:50
Right now there is a winter storm warning and flood watch for the area.
From NOAA:

Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 38. Windy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 25 mph increasing to 30 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

I'm pouring myself another cup of coffee and mulling over today's "plan B"

Jerry Bodine
20-Feb-2017, 21:55
So is it safe to say that the drought and water rationing are over and done?

Leszek Vogt
21-Feb-2017, 00:37
My crystal ball tells me that Yos suppose to get snow this weekend and ending on Mon. It would be good to go afterwards....probably in a kayak.

Les

John Kasaian
21-Feb-2017, 07:26
So is it safe to say that the drought and water rationing are over and done?

Yes and no. But that is getting political so let's not go there.

DavidFisk
21-Feb-2017, 15:48
Right now there is a winter storm warning and flood watch for the area.
From NOAA:

Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 38. Windy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 25 mph increasing to 30 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

I'm pouring myself another cup of coffee and mulling over today's "plan B"

No snow this past weekend except in the much higher elevations. Much rain yesterday, but still a fine time to shoot if you are selective. No flooding, but the clouds swirling around El Cap were memorable. No sun for Horsetail. Maybe next Feb

John Kasaian
21-Feb-2017, 20:23
Right now, 41 is closed above Fish Camp due to yesterday's storm damage. It is expected to reopen March 10.

seabee1999
21-Feb-2017, 22:06
Right now, 41 is closed above Fish Camp due to yesterday's storm damage. It is expected to reopen March 10.

Oh bother. Planning a new route. Thanks for the info.

R/
Dave

Preston
22-Feb-2017, 08:20
Just read this on our Tuolumne County local news...

"The Big Oak Flat Road in Yosemite National Park, which is the extension of Highway 120, is closed due to storm damage. The closure runs from Foresta to Crane Flat. Earlier this week the stretch Big Oak Flat Road was closed during the overnight hours from 6pm until 6am, but conditions have worsened, prompting a 24 hour closure"

The only access to Yosemite Valley at this time is Hwy 140.
--P

tgtaylor
22-Feb-2017, 12:53
The Tuolumne Meadows Winter update reports 55 inches of new snow and a snow depth of 137 inches. Check it out it has 2 photos taken from the summit of Mount Danna (13,055') last week: https://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/update-for-february-22-2017.htm

For reference here's an image taken of me at the same spot during the summer months:

http://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/New_Photo.58225426_std.jpg

With all the heavy rains and floods, this might be a good year for gold panning.

Thomas