PDA

View Full Version : Case for Arca Swiss 8x10/4x5

Ari
2-Jan-2017, 10:50
I'm looking to get an Arca Swiss outfit later this spring, an F-line 8x10 with 171mm standards and 4x5 assembly.
I like cases that allow me to access anything I need quickly with a minimum of fuss, opening/closing, etc, so I tend to go for hard cases with dividers.
Everything is visible and spread out, nothing is piled on top of another item, and no case-inside-a-case zippering.
But the Arca is a slightly different kind of camera, and I'd like to know what current or past owners of such camera gear have used to carry around the 8x10 with its accessories.
Just looking for some ideas, and I'm also wondering if there's anything special to look out for when considering a case for an Arca camera, such as the best way to leave the camera set up in the case, or anything else.
Thanks in advance.

asf
2-Jan-2017, 16:34
I kept mine with a couple lenses and accs in a backpack (Tenba BP-L? about the same as LowePro Photo Trekker) and stored that in a Pelican 1610, was super easy and could take the whole thing or just the backpack depending on the shoot

Have the rail cut in 15mm and 25mm sections instead of equal 20mm sections, both carriers fit on the 15mm section easily

If you have no need for a backpack the camera and accs should be a nice fit in a 1610 with the TrekPak dividers
in that case the 20mm rail section would be no problem

If you want to keep the 4x5 stuff in the case at the same time you may need to go up to a 1650

Ari
2-Jan-2017, 17:20
Thanks again, Adam.
Is cutting the rail something I can do myself, with the proper tool, or should it be done by a machinist?

Christopher Barrett
2-Jan-2017, 17:23
Also, you could just get a 15cm rail. My Universalis came with the 15, and the Mf2 a 20. I know the 30cm (to 45cm) telescoping rail has two 15mm sections, so you can get them in various sizes.

My 8x10 F Metric should ship this week and I'm doing the same, a 15cm rail (for packing standards onto) and a 25cm rail.

CB

asf
2-Jan-2017, 17:24
I had them do it when I ordered mine new but it's pretty simple if you have a good saw and the skills

Personally I would have someone else do it as I am under no illusions about my abilities

I think it's also possible to get a 15cm rail piece used, Rod K may have one available

Ari
2-Jan-2017, 18:15
Also, you could just get a 15cm rail. My Universalis came with the 15, and the Mf2 a 20. I know the 30cm (to 45cm) telescoping rail has two 15mm sections, so you can get them in various sizes.

My 8x10 F Metric should ship this week and I'm doing the same, a 15cm rail (for packing standards onto) and a 25cm rail.

CB

Thanks, Christopher; I think the set I'm buying will include a 15cm rail as well as a longer rail.
Congrats on your new camera!

I had them do it when I ordered mine new but it's pretty simple if you have a good saw and the skills

Personally I would have someone else do it as I am under no illusions about my abilities

I think it's also possible to get a 15cm rail piece used, Rod K may have one available

I'm under no illusion either about my skills, I'd rather concentrate what few skills I have into making photos.
I'll get some precise details about what's included and contact Rod if anything is needed.

johnmsanderson
2-Jan-2017, 21:29
Hi Ari,

My Arca Setup Includes 8x10 and 4x5 back with 6 lenses. I keep the rail and function carriers on the tripod when the standards aren't attached and leave the whole assembly (camera+rail) next to me in the car when I'm out shooting. I keep everything in two bags, one is a Kelty RPT (I think the biggest one) with its various modular padded containers. This bag holds the 4x5 back and 171 front standard, 4x5 holders, and about 4-5 lenses depending on if I'm using the 8x10.

In another bag, a Lowepro mid-sized bag, goes my 8x10 back with 8x10 holders (about 5 holders) and 1-2 lenses depending on the situation. I have a 3rd bag which holds processed/film.

Let me know if you want to chat on the phone about this. I really like my setup, but I don't do much hiking, and if I do I put the tripod and camera over my shoulder and suffer. ;-)

David Karp
2-Jan-2017, 21:38
Ari,

My 4x5 / 5x7 A-S is always mounted on a 15 cm rail. It packs up nice and easy this way. Instead of using the other 15cm rail that came with my expanding rail, I use a 30cm rail that I bought from a forum member. That fits on whatever they call the thing that holds the rail. It just slides forward when I mount the camera and 15cm rail section and gives me 45cm without even expanding the rail sections. This works nicely with longer lenses. Also, this was a less expensive option than purchasing a used rail extension piece. At least it was based on what was available when I was using.

Hope this is useful.

neil poulsen
3-Jan-2017, 01:18
My Arca collection (this could apply to any brand), and lenses, go beyond what I would carry in my backpack. But, the extra equipment enables me to repurpose my pack for different types of photography.

If photographing architecture, I can emphasize super-wides and lenses up to about 250mm, and I can get by with the standard bellows.

If photographing landscape, I'd leave my 75mm behind and probably rarely use my 90mm. I might add a 355mm, and perhaps even a 450mm. Adding the latter, I would need to include a 700mm bellows a pair of 20cm rails and expand the overall rail length to 550mm.

Etc.

In the meantime, I keep the basics in my packpack (i.e. camera, universal bellows, lenses between 90mm and 250mm, standard bellows, etc.), and I keep the added equipment collected in a single Arca drawer to access for special needs.

Pete Roody
3-Jan-2017, 10:19
I like a backpack for my Arca 8x10. Good idea to use a 15cm rail for storage in the backpack. A 40cm expandable rail system (with a 30cm rail) sits next to the camera. MC Photographic made cloth camera covers and I use one to protect the camera in the backpack. I can fit several lenses, 3 film holders, meter, etc. in the backpack. Used to use a Tenba "Huge" Backpack but switched to one (forgot the brand but it is out of production) that has better support. The backpack can hold the tripod but I usually carry it so the pack isn't to heavy. If you go this way finding a backpack with a good support structure is a must.

Ari
3-Jan-2017, 14:33
Hi Ari,

My Arca Setup Includes 8x10 and 4x5 back with 6 lenses. I keep the rail and function carriers on the tripod when the standards aren't attached and leave the whole assembly (camera+rail) next to me in the car when I'm out shooting. I keep everything in two bags, one is a Kelty RPT (I think the biggest one) with its various modular padded containers. This bag holds the 4x5 back and 171 front standard, 4x5 holders, and about 4-5 lenses depending on if I'm using the 8x10.

In another bag, a Lowepro mid-sized bag, goes my 8x10 back with 8x10 holders (about 5 holders) and 1-2 lenses depending on the situation. I have a 3rd bag which holds processed/film.

Let me know if you want to chat on the phone about this. I really like my setup, but I don't do much hiking, and if I do I put the tripod and camera over my shoulder and suffer. ;-)

Hi John,
Thank you, I'm very glad you chimed in. I know you've been using the same 4x5/8x10 set-up and you're obviously traveling a lot with it, so I was eager to hear about your method of storing and transporting your Arca.
While I'm more partial to 8x10, there will be a use for the 4x5, so I might do something similar to you, and keep two manageable cases for longer trips.
I'm not much of a hiker either, but I have been known to wander quite far from my car, or walk around the city for hours.
Thanks again, I'll be in touch directly if I need more info.

Ari,

My 4x5 / 5x7 A-S is always mounted on a 15 cm rail. It packs up nice and easy this way. Instead of using the other 15cm rail that came with my expanding rail, I use a 30cm rail that I bought from a forum member. That fits on whatever they call the thing that holds the rail. It just slides forward when I mount the camera and 15cm rail section and gives me 45cm without even expanding the rail sections. This works nicely with longer lenses. Also, this was a less expensive option than purchasing a used rail extension piece. At least it was based on what was available when I was using.

Hope this is useful.

Very useful, David; thank you. Getting to know the way the AS system is built and how it works helps figure out how best to store it according to one's method of working.

My Arca collection (this could apply to any brand), and lenses, go beyond what I would carry in my backpack. But, the extra equipment enables me to repurpose my pack for different types of photography.

If photographing architecture, I can emphasize super-wides and lenses up to about 250mm, and I can get by with the standard bellows.

If photographing landscape, I'd leave my 75mm behind and probably rarely use my 90mm. I might add a 355mm, and perhaps even a 450mm. Adding the latter, I would need to include a 700mm bellows a pair of 20cm rails and expand the overall rail length to 550mm.

Etc.

In the meantime, I keep the basics in my packpack (i.e. camera, universal bellows, lenses between 90mm and 250mm, standard bellows, etc.), and I keep the added equipment collected in a single Arca drawer to access for special needs.

Neil, your way of doing it sounds much more tailored to a city shooter, and I, too, like working from one bag/case if possible.
The system is quite modular, so it seems like a two-bag solution is the best way to go, depending on one's lens collection.
Thanks

I like a backpack for my Arca 8x10. Good idea to use a 15cm rail for storage in the backpack. A 40cm expandable rail system (with a 30cm rail) sits next to the camera. MC Photographic made cloth camera covers and I use one to protect the camera in the backpack. I can fit several lenses, 3 film holders, meter, etc. in the backpack. Used to use a Tenba "Huge" Backpack but switched to one (forgot the brand but it is out of production) that has better support. The backpack can hold the tripod but I usually carry it so the pack isn't to heavy. If you go this way finding a backpack with a good support structure is a must.

Thanks, Pete; I'm not much of a backpacking photographer, but I do have a superb pack, the Austrian-made EVOC.
It used to house my various 8x10 cameras with 2-3 lenses and 2-3 film holders.
Good for storage, or for getting outside for a few hours.

David Karp
3-Jan-2017, 16:35
Hi Ari,

You can see a photo of what looks like an 8x10 A-S collapsed and mounted on only the short rail on the upper left corner of this page: http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/arca_core.html

Looks pretty compact for a non-folding 8x10!

Also, I think you use Technika-type boards, right? You can use the older style lensboards on a 171 F-Line. I have an older A-S to Technika (or is it the reverse?) adapter that works great on my 171 Discovery.

Ari
3-Jan-2017, 16:51
David, thanks for that.
In addition to planning the transport and use of the camera, I've also found the lens board adapter (you're correct, I use Technika boards).
eBay has a few 171mm/Technika adapters as well.

Christopher Barrett
3-Jan-2017, 19:42
Personally, I prefer the Arca 110 boards to the Technika. They're just a little bigger, which allows me to have lenses at any rotation I desire. I was so frustrated with the limitations of mounting on the Linhof boards that I had Chamonix make a new front standard for my 4x10 to take the Arca 110 boards.

Also, if you haven't seen Mike Strickland's blog, he talks about packing the 8x10 on the short rail...

http://www.michaelstricklandimages.com/blog/arcaswiss-8x10-f-line

Ari
3-Jan-2017, 20:15
Hi Christopher, thanks for the additional input, and for the link.
Your source of frustration makes for an interesting option: I hadn't thought about having square lens boards that can be inserted on any side.
It's probably better to have a cable release hanging from the bottom of the lens, not the top and having more than one rotation option becomes desirable.
I read Michael's blog, including his article on packing the 8x10 on a 4" (101mm) rail.
This makes more sense than using a 6" rail for the same purpose, though I don't know if the 4" rail is a stock piece or if it has to be cut down from a longer rail.

David Karp
3-Jan-2017, 22:00
Good read. He says that he uses the 6" rail = 15cm. I think that is the shortest standard length of rail. Rod K. or Emmanuel B. would know for sure.

Looks like he has a 40cm telescoping optical bench (that is what they call it!) using a 30cm rail and a 15cm rail. That is why the overhang on the rail is relatively small. Nice setup.

Ari
4-Jan-2017, 07:56
David, here's the text lifted from Mr Strickland's article:
"To pack the camera safely, I place two of the film holder cases (laptop cases) into the back of the ICU before the camera.
Since the camera lives on a 4" rail, if I didn't put something behind the camera, it would sit at an angle and possibly damage the bellows in transport."

Unless it's a typo, he must have had the rail cut down to 4" so that the folded-up 8x10 would fit better in his backpack.

mstrickland
4-Jan-2017, 08:38
It's definitely a typo. :) I'll go fix that now. I also use this to carry it:

http://www.michaelstricklandimages.com/blog/2015/9/12/f-stop-shinn-for-cinema-or-large-format

Since the bellows extend slightly past the frame, I take pretty careful note how I pack and carry it, but the F-Stop pack seems to do the job quite well.

Ari
4-Jan-2017, 09:42
Thanks for clearing that up, Michael.

David Karp
4-Jan-2017, 16:11
I just saw this. I was focused on this sentence: "This allows me to completely pack up the camera on the 6" rail, slide it off, . . . ." and completely missed the typo! :-)

Ari
4-Jan-2017, 16:26
I just saw this. I was focused on this sentence: "This allows me to completely pack up the camera on the 6" rail, slide it off, . . . ." and completely missed the typo! :-)

Funny, I completely missed that sentence and concentrated on the 4" rail part of the text. :)

Darren H
3-Feb-2017, 13:32
I use the Discovery which is a 4x5 model with 171 frames. It came with a nice case I can use. You can probably Google them. I use a LowePro backpack. With the folding rail, or a 15cm section you can make the camera fairly compact. I was able to make a space in the backpack to fit it with room to make lens areas around it. Carries pretty well.