PDA

View Full Version : Lens shade for ULF lens

Peter Roberts
23-May-2005, 19:03
I am going to shoot 12x20" format by using Schneider G-Claron 355mm and Nikko M 450mm lenses.

What are the lens shades that you using for these lenses and where to buy?

Dave Moeller
23-May-2005, 20:45
I make mine out of empty cream cheese containers. Just cut a hole to fit over the lens, and paint the whole thing flat black. I use a couple of different sized containers so I can stack them inside of each other when I pack.

I know this is a very cheap solution...but seriously, just how much engineering really needs to go into a lens shade? As long as it does the job, I don't much care if it looks like a cream cheese container that's been painted black. :)

wfwhitaker
23-May-2005, 20:50
Two lens shades come with each film holder.

Donald Hutton
23-May-2005, 21:33
Peter

The Lee filters lens hood works well. On 12X20 with the 355mm G-Claron, you will get slight vignetting unless you use the 77mm wide angle adaptor ring (they make two types - a standard and wide angle rings - the wide angle rings have a recessed thread to keep the ring much closer to the front element of the lens).

Michael Kadillak
23-May-2005, 21:43
I got a couple of cheap rubber lens hoods for my 450 M and the 355 G Claron for 8x20 and 12x20 for two reasons. They fold down and take up little room and they cost about $7 each. I will tell you from direct experience that you need a wide angle hood for the 355 G Claron because the regular 67MM lens hood will vignet like a big dog. Similarly, if you back it up or go solo with a dark slide as a shade remember that the 355 G Claron is a wide angle and probably needs in the range of 85 degrees to cover this format.

Always try to be aware of the angle that you are shooting relative to the sun and carefully inspect each and every square millimeter of the inside of your camera to insure that it is ALL matt black and consistent. If you need to, get out the masking tape and the spray paint and get after it. Preventing internal flare is the easiest to insure against but can get you if you are not careful. I found numerous shiney silver nail heads holding in a bellows on an 8x20 Korona that created all sorts of head scratching for me.

Have a great time with your 12x20.

Cheers!

Michael Kadillak
23-May-2005, 21:51
I apologize. The 355 G Claron takes a 77 mm filter. I tried to use a standard 77 mm lens hood and ran into vignetting problems and was forced to go to the wide angle hood. The 450 Nikon takes a 67 mm regular hood.

Cheers!

Steve Nieslony
24-May-2005, 12:40
The Lee Filter and Wide shade system.

I would use a step up ring ont he front of each lens so that you use a wider Lee Adaptor. This will reduce the likelihood of vignetting. When I bought my 355 and 450, and purchased my UV filter (to protect the front element) I used the B+W EW filter which is like having a step up ring and filter in one. The downside is that you will wind up having two different size front threads (355 vs 450) and then need to pack too Leed Adaptor rings.

The Wide hood is more rectagular and much larger again reducing the liklihood of vignetting.

Steve

Peter Roberts
24-May-2005, 18:52
Thank you all!