PDA

View Full Version : Lens ID help (Carlton full plate)

Patrick13
30-Dec-2016, 18:42
I've picked up a Carlton full plate camera and would like to settle the question of what this lens is. It looks like it came with the camera, or at least is in the same condition as if it had been on for a long time. The shutter it's in is easy to identify as a Bausch and Lomb diaphragm shutter and weighs a ton.

The lens itself is completely unmarked in any place that I could find.

I did the quick "what focal length is this" and it looks to be 12inch to 13inch and should cover full plate, the shutter is marked as F4 for the larger stop.

Presumably circa 1895-ish.

Louis Pacilla
30-Dec-2016, 19:06
Hey that's a great camera I like them so much a own them in sizes up 5x8 up to 11x14.

Your lens is more then likely a B&L Rapid Rectilinear and it's stop scale is US and not f stop so US f4 = f stop f8 and that's the speed of a Rapid Rectilinear. I have a few of those shutters too & they can be fun when they work and look great even when they don't.

Hope this helps & have a blast with your Rochester Optical Carlton.

Two23
30-Dec-2016, 19:13
Hey that's a great camera I like them so much a own them in sizes up 5x8 up to 11x14.

Your lens is more then likely a B&L Rapid Rectilinear and it's stop scale is US and not f stop so US f4 = f stop f8 and that's the speed of a Rapid Rectilinear. I have a few of those shutters too & they can be fun when they work and look great even when they don't.

I agree.

Kent in SD

Patrick13
30-Dec-2016, 20:14
Thanks for the quick identification :) I can convert US to fractional stops now that I know what's up.
This one came with one film holder, it's a plate size but has an insert to hold a half-plate centered.

The shutter needs cleaning and lube, it's only semi-functional at the moment. I'm debating whether to pop it open myself or send it out.

And now to find a sane way to make it tripod compatible!

peter schrager
31-Dec-2016, 16:32
Let's see the camera too...

Patrick13
31-Dec-2016, 17:21
Let's see the camera too...

Pardon the harsh lighting.