PDA

View Full Version : How do I unload a single sheet from a film pack?

crl
29-Dec-2016, 13:21
I picked up two graphic film pack adapters, with full packs of film, for free with the purchase of a few film holders. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161229/8a6f75dfdb2d6f2faa203ac6b492e812.jpg

Since this film is who knows how old, I was told to over expose a little bit so I shot one sheet at 200 as a test. (Guessing a film speed of 400, I don't even know the base film speed if anyone does?)

Now, having never used this stuff before, is it possible to unload just that one sheet or do I have to shoot the whole pack of film?

Advice on developer/times to use?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loonatic45414
29-Dec-2016, 15:13
Grab the tab & pull until the paper comes out. Expose and repeat. Exposed films move to the rear of the pack until you have no more tabs left to pull. The pack itself has a hinged side for unloading the films in the dark.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

crl
29-Dec-2016, 15:15
Thanks, I understand you have to pull the paper out to advance the film to the other end if the pack but can I now just unload that single sheet?

Sent from my iPhone

stawastawa
29-Dec-2016, 15:16
based on what was said above, and if it works like a grafmatic.

open the hinged side and take out the sheet at the back, it should be the last image you exposed.

have fun and good luck. if you only have 12 sheets I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble to find the right exposure and development... but do share what the images turn out to be!

crl
29-Dec-2016, 15:17
Ok that's what I was thinking. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.. thanks guys!

stawastawa
29-Dec-2016, 15:18
Caution, if it is just the neg and has no sort of septum you may compromise the ability of the film pack to cycle through the rest of the sheets.
But I assume the negative has a sleeve that can be returned to the pack for shooting the rest of it.

loonatic45414
29-Dec-2016, 15:19
Once you open the pack, it unravels the system. I don't know if the 1st film in there would be any good given the temptation to pull the dark slide and see what's inside. I had one I took apart in the light out of curiosity but can't remember how to tell which is the first in the dark.

loonatic45414
29-Dec-2016, 15:21
If I had to put money on it, I'd say the one just taken goes to the rear of the pack, then moves up until it's first again but behind a dark partition.

crl
29-Dec-2016, 15:24
Yea it loops around from what I understand.. I can almost guarantee that the first frame was probably exposed at some point given these were laying around at a flea market..

Jim Noel
29-Dec-2016, 16:52
This is a simple process which I have done 100's of times. My favorite camera when I was a teenager was a Zeiss 6x9 film pack camera.
IN THE DARK lay the pack face down. At the end opposite the tabs is a small metal cap. Carefully remove this by pulling straight out. gently lift up the back of the pack and remove the films at the rear. If you are careful the remaining films will not be disturbed. Carefully push the back down into place and replace the cap. Put the exposed film in an empty film box until ready to develop.
Turn on the light.

Bill_1856
30-Dec-2016, 18:55
When I hit the BIG lottery, I'm going to subsidize Ilford to start making film packs again. (9x12 would be my dream, and I could put my old Zeiss and Voigtlanders to good use again.)

loonatic45414
31-Dec-2016, 00:15
I'd start a vintage film format company. Dry plates, 116, film packs & offer development services. I'd have to draw the line at the Disc camera format though. That's just a train wreck.