PDA

View Full Version : Jem Southam - Focal Length

dodphotography
26-Dec-2016, 16:08
I've come to like to Southam's work over the last year or so. It's such an interesting take on a banal subject. I've heard he employs this technique of using a large tripod / long focal length to create a unique effect of pushing and pulling the perspective of the image.

Does anyone know what focal length he uses? I like to analyze images in books and take a guess but I'm not that good at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael W
26-Dec-2016, 17:07
google image search has some photos of him at work. Looks like he is mostly using 8x10 with a wide angle lens. I'm saying wide angle based on the apparent distance from lens board to film plane in how his camera is set up in some of those photos. They are really close.

dodphotography
26-Dec-2016, 17:09
google image search has some photos of him at work. Looks like he is mostly using 8x10 with a wide angle lens. I'm saying wide angle based on the apparent distance from lens board to film plane in how his camera is set up in some of those photos. They are really close.

I got the 8x10, should have noted I knew that.

I am not sure if those shots are him all set up or perhaps just showing his initial mounting of the camera.