PDA

View Full Version : Acros ...is it harder to get consistent results vs fp4

Serge S
25-Dec-2016, 16:06
This summer I did a series of long exposures seascapes with hp5 & fp4 with good results.
I've read since, Acros is some reciprocity advantages.

Is this film harder to get consistent results (hand process in a jobo) vs fp4 type film? I'm tempted to try it, even though it is pricy, as it is praised on this forum, which counts a bunch for me:)

Thanks!

Leigh
25-Dec-2016, 16:47
Hi Serge,

I've used Acros for many years, probably 87 Million exposures between roll and 4x5.
I normally develop in Rodinal (the real stuff) at 1:50, although sometimes other dilutions.

I love the results, to the point where it's been virtually my only film, certainly in this millenium.

It has no practical reciprocity issues.
It needs no compensation out to 120 seconds, and only 1/2 stop from there to 1000 seconds.

The shoulder is really a straight line, so highlights don't blow out.

I have very limited experience with FP4+.
I do use it in 8x10 because Acros is not available here in the US in that size.
I develop it in Rodinal, just like Acros. No issues that I've noticed.

Regarding your Jobo, Rodinal might not be the best choice for that method.
Other members have experience using the Jobo and other developers.

- Leigh

Sal Santamaura
25-Dec-2016, 19:14
...I do use it in 8x10 because Acros is not available here in the US in that size...Easy to get.

Any time: http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/neopan-acros-8x10-sheet-film.html?currency=USD

From time to time: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?132118-FS-8x10-and-4x5-Velvia50-Acros100-and-FUJIBRO-paper!-(CONUS)&p=1339552#post1339552

There are other sources too.

Alan9940
25-Dec-2016, 22:09
Acros is easily available from Japan through Kumar. I'm sure he'd be happy to ship out all you'd care to buy! ;) I believe he recently was able to offer 8x10 Acros at a slight reduction vs his prior price making this film only a bit more expensive than Ilford 8x10 film.

Leigh
25-Dec-2016, 22:42
I am also a customer of Kumar, and will continue to be into the future.

He's an excellent vendor, prompt, courteous, and extremely helpful.

My previous comment was strictly about the fact that none of the usual online US dealers stock 8x10 Acros.

- Leigh

Serge S
26-Dec-2016, 08:16
Hi Serge,

I've used Acros for many years, probably 87 Million exposures between roll and 4x5.
I normally develop in Rodinal (the real stuff) at 1:50, although sometimes other dilutions.

I love the results, to the point where it's been virtually my only film, certainly in this millenium.

It has no practical reciprocity issues.
It needs no compensation out to 120 seconds, and only 1/2 stop from there to 1000 seconds.

The shoulder is really a straight line, so highlights don't blow out.

I have very limited experience with FP4+.
I do use it in 8x10 because Acros is not available here in the US in that size.
I develop it in Rodinal, just like Acros. No issues that I've noticed.

Regarding your Jobo, Rodinal might not be the best choice for that method.
Other members have experience using the Jobo and other developers.

- Leigh

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for the detailed response.
Occasionally use DDX, but presently using Clayton F76 (recommended to me by Richard Ritter a few years back)
I can't wait to try Acros now!

Thanks again,

Serge

Jim Noel
26-Dec-2016, 12:25
This summer I did a series of long exposures seascapes with hp5 & fp4 with good results.
I've read since, Acros is some reciprocity advantages.

Is this film harder to get consistent results (hand process in a jobo) vs fp4 type film? I'm tempted to try it, even though it is pricy, as it is praised on this forum, which counts a bunch for me:)

Thanks!

It is no more difficult. Just get to know the film/developer combo.

Serge S
26-Dec-2016, 13:03
It is no more difficult. Just get to know the film/developer combo.

Good to know.
Thanks