PDA

View Full Version : DOF Calculator for an i-Phone

Martin Aislabie
24-Dec-2016, 15:15
I have been happily using an old DoF calculator on my I-Phone for several years.

However, I needed to upgrade my I-phone and hence IOS and the old DoF calculator now does not work.

Does anyone have a DoF calculator that is compatible with up to date IOS that they would recommend ?

Thanks

Martin

Paul Cunningham
25-Dec-2016, 00:25
I have the app, Simple DoF. Honestly I don't use much but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louie Powell
25-Dec-2016, 04:48
Sadly, I can report that DOFMaster doesn't work on ios10

Bob Salomon
25-Dec-2016, 07:27
Sadly, I can report that DOFMaster doesn't work on ios10

Among others, Simple DoF works on iOS 10 on my iPhone and iPad.

Willie
25-Dec-2016, 08:15
Is there a whiz bang computer program that will figure out swing and tilt for you as well?

Bob Salomon
25-Dec-2016, 08:23
Is there a whiz bang computer program that will figure out swing and tilt for you as well?

Just as easy to use the Rodenstock DOF/Scheimpflug pocket calculator.

Jac@stafford.net
25-Dec-2016, 13:09
Just as easy to use the Rodenstock DOF/Scheimpflug pocket calculator.

True! And its really easy on batteries. :)

Bob Salomon
25-Dec-2016, 13:13
True! And its really easy on batteries. :)

We never received any reports of them exploding or catching on fire!

Drew Bedo
28-Dec-2016, 06:49
Not sure I understand the problem: If you do not see it (whatever "it" is) on the GG it will not be on the film.

When I first came to LF, I was working in a clinical setting doing cardiac treadmill stress testing and imaging with radio-isotopes. Lots of computer driven equipment. One attraction of LF photography for me has always been the act of manipulating the camera controls to achieve my inner vision orf a scene. LF was a high-touch counter point to my high-tech workplace.

What compels one to jack around with a smart phone instead of ducking under the dark cloth and manipulating the camera?

Now I recognize that there are many ways for one's creative vision to proceed from conceptualizing an image, through image capture (what I used to call "exposure") through post processing to a farmable print.

Cheers to all

barnacle
30-Dec-2016, 11:20
Largely I agree, Drew - but there is at least one use case where such a scale is helpful: if you're using a range-finder, coupled or otherwise - to set the focus without the aid of a screen.

But even then, a cross-referenced focal-length v iris chart (per lens) is all that's needed. A small printed card perhaps, stuck to the back of the camera?

Neil

quine
30-Dec-2016, 11:40
I use F-stop calculator from Jefro Studio on iOS 10.

faberryman
30-Dec-2016, 11:49
Large format lenses don't have a depth of field scale, so it's hard to zone focus without an app when doing street photography. :)

Jac@stafford.net
30-Dec-2016, 12:09
Theodolite and Rangefinder are two iPhone apps that might work.

Almost all of my photography is done with rangefinder Linhof Super Technika 4x5, and Veriwide viewfinder cameras. For the MF viewfinders I use a laser rangefinder good to 225 feet; of course the lens has a distance scale.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Dec-2016, 12:19
Large format lenses don't have a depth of field scale, so it's hard to zone focus without an app when doing street photography. :)

We could make a scale for the bed or rails of a view camera.

Drew Bedo
31-Dec-2016, 06:46

Zone Focusing: An example that answers my question. The press cameras were designed and set up for precisely this type of hand-held grab shot photography with rangefinders and even a lighted RF for low light work. Some had a scale on the drop bed, usually for a 135mm.

The TravelWide cameras are designed for just this type of photography with a focusing scale for 90mm lenses.

Willie
31-Dec-2016, 13:08

Ansel and Edward Weston used to run into this all the time. That is why their streets were never in focus. '-)