PDA

View Full Version : Missing Tmax RS part B, What to do?

Arne
22-Dec-2016, 15:25
I recently received a shipment of Kodak Tmax RS developer. The small bottle of part B had leaked most of the liquid out. The large bottle of part A is fine.

I hate to throw out the A. Is there a way to make the part B economically from standard chemicals?

Better yet does anyone have any part B they don't need?

Michael Clark
22-Dec-2016, 15:31
If you can take it back where you bought it maybe they will replace it, if mail order contact them for a replacement to see what they say. Do not know how important the little bottle is but do not open the big bottle tell you have talk to the store or sender.

Arne
22-Dec-2016, 15:51
MIchael, yes I contacted Adorama, where I mail ordered from, and they are shipping a free replacement. I'm just hoping there is an easy enough way to use the part A. Hate to throw out a $20 bottle of developer.

Bob Salomon
22-Dec-2016, 16:04
MIchael, yes I contacted Adorama, where I mail ordered from, and they are shipping a free replacement. I'm just hoping there is an easy enough way to use the part A. Hate to throw out a $20 bottle of developer.

You are not throwing out a $20.00 bottle of developer. You are discarding an incomplete developer that your supplier is replacing for you at N/C. If you want to feel guilt free then send the bottles back to your dealer and just use the replaced developer. Or, you send it to Kodak and let them take care of it.

Arne
22-Dec-2016, 17:42
True the dealer is replacing it. That's not the point. I was just hoping to salvage the developer, and not have to dump it down the drain. Pointless to return it to Adorama or Kodak. I was hoping someone might have a solution other than tossing it.

stawastawa
22-Dec-2016, 17:46
try Part A alone with a clip of film and see what happens!

Doremus Scudder
23-Dec-2016, 04:51
Here's the MSDS for TMax RS developer (part B is listed partway through). http://www.freestylephoto.biz/static/pdf/msds/kodak/5054184_Kodak_Tmax_RS.pdf

From the MSDS, it seems there's not going to be an easy, "off-the-shelf" fix for your missing part B. I'd just dispose of the part A responsibly.

Doremus

martin howard
23-Dec-2016, 09:29
You can simply use part A without part B. Try it, you won't notice the difference.
How are you processing? Which volumes and dilutions?

koraks
23-Dec-2016, 10:58
I bet the part B mostly serves to make the development stable over a slightly wider range of temperature. There's some patents on the use of Nitron for photographic purposes, one of which by fuji who apparently considered putting it into their films in the 90s. The acetic acid serves to make the nitron soluble. Just speculation on my part of course...

Bob Salomon
23-Dec-2016, 12:06
Aren't the contents listed on the bottles or the packaging or the data sheets?

david@bigeleisenlaw.com
24-Dec-2016, 11:49
Why not call Kodak? 1-800-242-2424

EdWorkman
28-Dec-2016, 18:42
When I got my first bottle of RS- I did it onnacounta it seemed D-76 wasn't giving me full speed - and RS should, I noticed the little bitty part B and didn't want to make up the entire bottle as stock.
I figured it was some sort of preservative/activator, and was separate because if mixed the time to expiration would start
I looked at the MSDS and called Kodak
Those folks couldn't tell me what was in the little pack
SO
I barged ahead and used only small portions of A to mix to a working solution
It worked, nicely
I did a series of test 120 rolls at various EIs in contrasty sunlight
I was quite satisfied and not worried about a ton of stock going bad when employment kept me from photography for [too] long periods of time.
I must say there seem to be a LOT of folks on here that get paralyzed when there aren't stone tablets in front of them
Shoot, the worries about Xray film exactness take up waaaaay too much space.

DO SOMETHING, then adjust

jnantz
28-Dec-2016, 19:59
hazardous waste disposal for your local city/town will take it off your hands
if you don't want to dispose of it that way, get a RMA from where you bought it
and ship it back to them, they will get credit for it ...
i've never been a fan of tmax rs ..