PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Release

Jay Dobek
20-Dec-2016, 07:36
Hello - sorry for such a simply question, but I just started to get into large format with the purchase of a Toyo 4x5 camera. The lens it came with is a Linhof symmar 1:5.6/150mm. Any recommendations for a quality shutter release?

locutus
20-Dec-2016, 08:02
Any bog standard mechanical cable release will do, i use some 3$ ones from evil red china and they are perfectly fine.

photog_ed
20-Dec-2016, 08:53
+1 on any one will do, though I had to look up "bog standard."

One caveat: I bought a cheapo 40" cable only to find that it doesn't work on most of my Copal shutters. The throw isn't all that long to begin with, and the cloth sheath stretches so much that even with the plunger pressed all the way there isn't enough oomph left to trip the shutter.

Ed

Will Frostmill
20-Dec-2016, 12:42
+1 on any one will do, though I had to look up "bog standard."

One caveat: I bought a cheapo 40" cable only to find that it doesn't work on most of my Copal shutters. The throw isn't all that long to begin with, and the cloth sheath stretches so much that even with the plunger pressed all the way there isn't enough oomph left to trip the shutter.

Ed

Were those the self-cocking type?

photog_ed
20-Dec-2016, 18:15
Were those the self-cocking type?

No, just regular manual cocking modern Copal.

Alan Gales
20-Dec-2016, 18:40
Gepe cloth cable releases are nice!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Gepe+Cable+Release&gclid=CJHvzfuThNECFcK4wAod9dQO9g&c3api=4680%2C111335657459%2Cgepe+cable+release%2Ce&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

dpn
20-Dec-2016, 20:39
Gepe cloth cable releases are nice!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Gepe+Cable+Release&gclid=CJHvzfuThNECFcK4wAod9dQO9g&c3api=4680%2C111335657459%2Cgepe+cable+release%2Ce&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

I agree wholeheartedly. I can't stand the PVC or metal cable releases.

HiHoSilver
20-Dec-2016, 21:16
I'd never used any release that wasn't a cheap vinyl over coil. I handled a 'Minnette', and thought it seemed quite a bit better. 'Bought one for MF & I just love it. The stuff I used before feels like uh fertilizer by comparison. I have no interest w/ the product other than being a very satisfied user. I got mine at Bluemooncamera. If I lost it, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. 'Been tempted to get a duplicate 'cause stuff I like has a way of being discontinued or otherwise unavailable. 12, 20, 40" available. I use a 20.

Bluemoon's product page:
You are more than welcome to call us anytime at 503.978.0333 to inquire about a piece of merchandise. You may also fill out the form below, and a representative of Blue Moon Camera will call you with a meticulously detailed response within one business day.

Product: Minnette 20
Item Number: M20XR
Price: $16.75

John Kasaian
21-Dec-2016, 09:05
IMHO where you get into trouble is with some older, usually double action shutters ( Universals, Betax, etc...) which will require a longer throw than the "bog standard." Gepe Pros have been able to fire everything in my menagerie of shutters.
Thank you, Mr Salomon, for recommending Gepe to me a few years ago!
Minettes are good quality---the red cloth covers are very cool looking---but mine won't fire Universals.

Alan Gales
21-Dec-2016, 11:34
Thank you, Mr Salomon, for recommending Gepe to me a few years ago!

Bob is a pretty smart guy.

I've also learned from you too, John.

Jay Dobek
22-Dec-2016, 18:08
Thanks for all your time and responses. I'm sure I'll have more beginner inquires down the road.

HiHoSilver
22-Dec-2016, 21:13
Jay, my experience is MF/SF only. 'Love my minette, but if I was doing LF, I would take Mr. Kasaian's word without hesitation. 'Will make me look up the Gepe release also.

Whir-Click
23-Dec-2016, 17:15
It is an extravagance, but I treated myself to a Silvestri Profi cable release. The build quality is excellent and the action is as smooth as a piston. The throw is long and strong, and it trips my Alphax 5 shutter without the least strain. A joy to use, and comfortable in the hand. Worth the money for the several lifetimes this should last.

The details and images are here: http://www.silvestricamera.com/ita/catalogo/prodottoeng.asp?ID=CR3650

I bought mine from the Linhof Studio and was extremely pleased with their service. http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Cable-Releases

Bob Salomon
23-Dec-2016, 17:26
It is an extravagance, but I treated myself to a Silvestri Profi cable release. The build quality is excellent and the action is as smooth as a piston. The throw is long and strong, and it trips my Alphax 5 shutter without the least strain. A joy to use, and comfortable in the hand. Worth the money for the several lifetimes this should last.

The details and images are here: http://www.silvestricamera.com/ita/catalogo/prodottoeng.asp?ID=CR3650

I bought mine from the Linhof Studio and was extremely pleased with their service. http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Cable-Releases

That is exactly the same as the Gepe Profi release and the Kaiser Pro release. Linhof also sold it when it originally came out. No need to go to the U.K. for it.

Whir-Click
23-Dec-2016, 17:53
The exchange rate actually made it cheaper to buy the Silvestri from the UK than the Kaiser/Gepe from B&H. I also have the original Linhof version, and while I prefer the Linhof's 700cm length, the shorter grip where you thread made it challenging to thread comfortably into smaller shutters. Perfect for Press-style shutters, though.

Wayne
23-Dec-2016, 18:22
I prefer cloth releases, but have some vinyl. The latter are stiffer, which is not a desirable quality for me.

Jim Andrada
23-Dec-2016, 20:39
Gepe, Kaiser, Silvestri. They all look like they're made by Gebr Schreck in Germany.

http://gebr-schreck.com/ESITE/

Ari
27-Dec-2016, 15:50
I'd never used any release that wasn't a cheap vinyl over coil. I handled a 'Minnette', and thought it seemed quite a bit better. 'Bought one for MF & I just love it. The stuff I used before feels like uh fertilizer by comparison. I have no interest w/ the product other than being a very satisfied user. I got mine at Bluemooncamera. If I lost it, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. 'Been tempted to get a duplicate 'cause stuff I like has a way of being discontinued or otherwise unavailable. 12, 20, 40" available. I use a 20.

Bluemoon's product page:
You are more than welcome to call us anytime at 503.978.0333 to inquire about a piece of merchandise. You may also fill out the form below, and a representative of Blue Moon Camera will call you with a meticulously detailed response within one business day.

Product: Minnette 20
Item Number: M20XR
Price: $16.75

Bought a few of these today and will try them out.
As I only use modern shutters, the throw is less of a concern for me.
My vinyl- or plastic-sheathed cable releases get stiff in the cold and sometimes jam.

Jim Andrada
29-Dec-2016, 22:39
You could come to Tucson and solve that problem:rolleyes: Although it does get a bit chillier here than some think - it hit 14F/-10C a couple of years ago in February.

Ari
30-Dec-2016, 08:10
Would love to, Jim, seeing as -10C is a daily occurrence here now.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Dec-2016, 09:53
You might try a bulb type air/pneumatic release. The hose is usually longer than needed, but shortening it is trivial, and so it reattaching the longer length if necessary.

I think I've tried every kind of common cable release and found some winners. Can comment.

Corran
30-Dec-2016, 11:00
That's a nice fistful of releases you got there.

In the past year I've had like half a dozen releases fail, which has never happened before. Both cloth and metal type - the cloth just ripped or the coiled metal jacket failed. I guess they were all at the end of their lives. All of my releases are cheapo junk I found on eBay, usually $10-15 lots of 10-15 cable releases, so no big loss. I always have a spare with me so no big deal. I guess if the light was "just right" for only a few seconds when the release failed, I'd be mad. If that kinda scenario keeps you up at night, sure buy the $30 releases I guess.

Professional
1-Jan-2017, 20:22
Honestly speaking, i only like that release with i can rest my fingers on it, that of 2 wings on besides rather than flat round one, but the only issue i get with all those cable release is i don't know why when i press it locks there even i didn't make it for locking, say if i press 10 times it locks nearly 3-5 times, but maybe that is my mistake rather than the cable itself, i need to practice with it more.

The question is not only about the quality material, my question here is, what is a good or suitable length for the cable to use?

Ari
4-Jan-2017, 11:46
The Minnettes arrived today, I ordered 4x 20" and 2x 40".
They are very nice to look at and feel good in my hand as well. Action is smooth and the overall impression is one of good quality.
Looking forward to using them soon!