PDA

View Full Version : Source for adhesive centering ruler tape

asf
19-Dec-2016, 13:40
Anyone know of anything good?

Searched and found this which looks great but minimum order is $100 which is a ton of tape

http://stop-painting.com/adhesive-backed-rules/adhesive-rulers-centering.asp

My p2 shift scales are worn down (paint has come off over time and from the restraints in the sinar case)

Michael Rosenberg
19-Dec-2016, 13:55
You can buy a cheaper center finding ruler from a graphic arts store, or even Michael's. Then use double stick outdoor carpet tape.
Mike

asf
19-Dec-2016, 14:00
Yes, I'd thought of that but this is the right size at 1/4" with 1mm markings

Wider than that wouldn't fit

Ruled tape is easy enough to find but ruled narrow metric centering tape less so

Bob Salomon
19-Dec-2016, 14:02
Why not ask FotoCare, since they fix them and are near you. Or contact Leica since they own Sinar.

Leigh
19-Dec-2016, 14:02
McMaster-Carr has a huge assortment of adhesive-backed rulers from 1ft to 100ft (and metric) here:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#adhesive-back-measuring-tape/=15jgwy6

If you really want a centered zero, buy two and mount them end-to-end. They're not expensive.

McMaster has no minimum order and charges only actual shipping.
They're great folks to deal with. Been in business over 100 years.

- Leigh

asf
19-Dec-2016, 14:04
Of course, why didn't I check McMaster Carr

Thanks

Eric Woodbury
19-Dec-2016, 14:36
If nothing else works, you might design your own and have it printed on plastic or laser engraved. You can buy double stick tape that is just the adhesive with no backing.

asf
19-Dec-2016, 14:46
Thanks Bob

I'm not sure Fotocare "fixes" Sinar themselves although Tommy and Vinny are Sinar techs (independent contractors AFAIK)
But this issue can't really be fixed as the scale is printed onto the metal at the factory

The old p's had glue on cover plates that could be replaced but they changed that with the p2

I did ask a couple Sinar repair techs including guys at FC, they don't fix this kind of thing

So my options would be to replace the function carrier, have the carrier engraved with new markings, have someone paint or silkscreen a scale on it, or just stick some marked tape on it
as the carrier is perfectly functional otherwise the easiest solution is to put some tape on it and so I'm looking for nice tape that fits and is easily applied

McMaster Carr had the solution, I ordered L to R and R to L adhesive tapes, relatively cheap and should look decent

asf
19-Dec-2016, 14:49
If nothing else works, you might design your own and have it printed on plastic or laser engraved. You can buy double stick tape that is just the adhesive with no backing.

That's what I wanted to do, have the scale match the look of the original, white print on a clear backing, but it's not the easiest route for such a small problem

Until now I've just enhanced the remaining markings with red china marker, it works but not the easiest thing to see and rubs off quickly/smears over time

It's gotten cold in the Northeast and camera repair fever is setting in ...

asf
19-Dec-2016, 14:52
If anyone knows a place in or around NYC that can laser engrave on different materials I also need an aperture scale copied ... (for a 360/6.8 in copal 3, have one of the 2)

Bob Salomon
19-Dec-2016, 15:29
If anyone knows a place in or around NYC that can laser engrave on different materials I also need an aperture scale copied ... (for a 360/6.8 in copal 3, have one of the 2)

Up to when we closed in 2015, Rodenstock was still supplying the scales. Contact Omega Brandess and have them check.

asf
29-Dec-2016, 17:31
Ended up getting several kinds but only needed one so if anyone needs adhesive metric centering ruled tape or left to right or right to left adhesive backed tape send a pm