PDA

View Full Version : Recessed lens board for Shen Hao. Help!

Lightbender
13-Dec-2016, 21:36
Hi I'm looking for a recessed lens board for my Shen Hao 4x5 hzxii.

I have a linhof but it does not fit right. It is slightly to big for the hole.

I also tried a gaoersi brand, but the recessed part hits the inside of the standard. And will note work either. Also, the copal 0 shutter does not fit right. The levers hit the inside of the board. I can get either the cock lever to work or the release lever but not both.

Does anyone use a recessed lens board with the Shen Hao? What board do you use and what shutter?

Professional
15-Dec-2016, 15:01
I have this camera and i do use a recessed lens board, but i feel it is really not giving me a good time or that i don't know how to use it at all, it is from Shen Hao, so it is designed to accept Shen Hao, but i am gonna sell this camera so i will sell it with the camera as i won't use them for another camera, i have SA 72mm XL, so maybe this lens is too wide for even the recessed board.

Bob Salomon
15-Dec-2016, 16:43
You bought a used Linhof recessed board for a Compur 0 shutter. Had you bought the one made for the Copal 0 shutter or the current board you would not be having a problem with the levers hitting the inside of the recess. That also is not a problem with the current recessed boards. As for not fitting your camera properly you should ask the camera manufacturer.

Mick Fagan
16-Dec-2016, 16:40
Does anyone use a recessed lens board with the Shen Hao? What board do you use and what shutter?

I do.

I have a Fujinon f/5.6 65mm SWD in a generic (I think) recessed board, it is running a Copal "0" shutter. The board size is 98mm high by 95mm wide, it is a perfect fit.

I also have a 90mm running in a genuine Linhof board, which is too small. The board size is 98mm high by 93.5mm wide, it is not a perfect fit, it floats sideways and requires me to ensure I have the board centred perfectly, other than that it works well.

As I am going out shooting on this glorious summer day, I quickly pulled the camera and lens out and took a few quickies with the mobile phone. I have no idea what that number means on the lens board, the board came with the lens, which came from Japan.

Mick.

Alan Gales
16-Dec-2016, 18:24
Badger Graphics has recessed Shen Hao boards.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=2_22_95&product_id=133

scm
16-Dec-2016, 18:47
A Shen-Hao HZX 4X5-IIA arrived here today, as did this lensboard (http://www.ebay.com/itm/281089137561?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649). It fits the camera perfectly.

locutus
17-Dec-2016, 04:25
Has anyone tried if a 90mm is workable with such a 20mm recessed board on a Shen Hao TZ45-IIA?

Milonian
17-Dec-2016, 10:37
Hi,
I've attached a couple of pics - just phone pics - of my TZ45-IIA with bag bellows. Front end is a Sinar selected Schneider 90mm f8. Focused on a lamp in my bedroom about 10 feet from the film plane. Movements virtually impossible! There are some movements possible in landscape situations where the lens is a few mm further forward. The lens board came from Japan I think and the Copal 0 shutter assembly is set down, not central, in the 20mm recess. It is an offset hole. This allows the levers to be accessed but none of it is exactly easy. Is this not part of the "fun"?!! (I suppose it's only part of the fun if you somehow get it to work instead of it working you).
It took some patience to set the lens in exactly the correct position to allow the remote cable assembly to operate properly while still allowing access to levers. It involved tightening and releasing the retaining ring several times to get the optimum result. Then I screwed it down tight so that it never wanders.
The lens board is 96x98mm and would I think fit all of the usual suspects, Linhof, Wista etc.

Milonian
17-Dec-2016, 10:58
Item number 281089137561 on a well known site. That seller has some tie up with Shen Hao I think - ecbuyonline. Hope it's allowed to say this - if not please delete. I have no affiliation whatsoever with the seller or Shen Hao!

Lightbender
18-Dec-2016, 09:23
Milonian..
Yes that is the lens board I bought. Same one as scm posted.

So it appears that perhaps my Shen Hao is different than others. Maybe if I find a 1cm board it may work better than the 2cm boards I've tried.

Milonian
20-Dec-2016, 19:22
If you like PM me with sizes of your front lens board assembly and we can compare?