PDA

View Full Version : Who can repair a Copal 3?

williaty
13-Dec-2016, 17:30
I bought a Copal 3 on ebay from a guy in Japan. The shutter arrived completely non-functional. The seller would prefer I have it repaired in the states vs having to re-import it to Japan. Who should I contact to get a repair quote?

Luis-F-S
13-Dec-2016, 17:45
S K Grimes

Keith Pitman
13-Dec-2016, 18:00
Carol Flutot. Just had a 3 done. Turnaround about 3 weeks including shipping. Think it was about $100.

Bob Salomon
13-Dec-2016, 18:03
Grimes, Pro Photo, Pro Camera, Samy's, Glazer, Robyn, Ace, or any other camera store or camera repair center including Nippon, B&H, Adorama, Foto Care or Precision. Any camera repair shop can repair a modern mechanical shutter. It isn't rocket science. Where you may find a problem is if there aren't parts for what has to be fixed.

williaty
13-Dec-2016, 18:15
S K Grimes
SK Grimes Photographer's Machinist in Rhode Island or SK Grimes Camera Repair in Boston?

Dan Fromm
13-Dec-2016, 19:22
The one in Rhode Island. www.skgrimes.com

angusparker
13-Dec-2016, 19:45
KEH maybe too, I don't know.

B.S.Kumar
13-Dec-2016, 20:09
A good camera repair shop local to you would probably be best, if only due to the heavy rush on the postal system for the holidays.

Kumar

williaty
13-Dec-2016, 20:15
As far as I know, there are no good camera repair shops left anywhere near Columbus, Ohio. When Dietz Bros closed in the mid 2000s, that was the last good repair shop I knew about.

Jim Andrada
13-Dec-2016, 22:05
I've had good luck with Carol Miller at Flutot's in LA. Come to think of it I have a shutter that's acting up - maybe I'll send it off to her.

David Karp
13-Dec-2016, 22:57
Check with Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus. Ask him if there is anyone local. For years, he was the go to guy in Columbus for LF equipment. I bought lots of stuff from him.

Carol Miller is a straight shooter. I sent her a shutter that was jammed. You could not open it with the preview lever. She contacted me and told me that she fixed it in less than a minute (I don't remember what she did) and that she was not going to charge me. She also checked the speeds and sent me a table with all of the speeds on it. All for $0. I just had to pay for the return shipping.

Bob Salomon
14-Dec-2016, 06:57
As far as I know, there are no good camera repair shops left anywhere near Columbus, Ohio. When Dietz Bros closed in the mid 2000s, that was the last good repair shop I knew about.

Then go to Midwest and ask them. Or give it to them to get it fixed. Or sell it to them for parts and buy a working one.

BrianShaw
14-Dec-2016, 07:55
https://www.yelp.com/biz/steves-camera-service-center-culver-city

Steve Choi's web site seems broken but when I drove by yesterday his lights were on and the door was open. He has done excellent work for me, and in a very timely manner.

Drew Bedo
14-Dec-2016, 09:27
Mike Hakime at Proferssional Camera Repair

http://professionalcamerarepair.com/