PDA

View Full Version : LF Users Group in LA

Mark Andes
17-May-2005, 19:11
Is there a large format users group in Los Angeles?

Daniel Geiger
17-May-2005, 20:14
I don't know about a user group, but I live in the LA bassin (Thousand Oaks area: 101 towards border of Ventura county). Pretty new to LF myself (4x5 monorail, nature, landscape, color transparencies), but happy to interact with others. If you are interested, send me an e-mail off-line.

Todd Schoenbaum
18-May-2005, 01:03
I'm in LA too, Venice to be specific. Though I dont actually shoot LF (I us MF), I have studied it a fair bit and plan to move to 4x5 as soon as I can afford to. I would love to get together with other like minded types.

domenico Foschi
18-May-2005, 01:42
I'm in Whittier, about 20 miles from LA.
I am heading at the Bergamot Station tomorrow.

Gregory Owens
18-May-2005, 09:44
Mark, and anyone else who may be interested, you are not alone. There is a small group of us that also suffer from LFD (Large Format Disease). We live in the LA area from Simi Valley to Pasadena and down to Culver City, there are about a half dozen of us and we get together on a fairly regular basis to support each other. This disabilitating condition is highly contagious, I have knowingly infected others and it is my hope that more will fall victim in the future. It may be time to recognize the need to address this condition and form a support group. So that being said if there is anybody in the LA area that would be interested in forming a Large Format group, please drop me an email with your contact information and I will coordinate an initial meeting to get the ball rolling. We could meet informally and get to know each other, share information, prints and maybe plan a few outings; and see what goes on from there.

Greg

Dan V
18-May-2005, 15:23
I live in L.A. too and got into LF less than a year ago. As addictions go, this one's a great one to have.

Carlos
18-May-2005, 15:47
San Francisco, Is there anybody from this group that is base out of San Francisco or near by ...?
I am currently in San Francisco.

Paul Cocklin
18-May-2005, 19:04
Carlos, I'm in Roseville on the other side of Sacramento. (actually, I'm in Bedford, NH right now, but that's another story...) I should be home for a couple of weeks in June and am trying to plan a two day trip to the coast near Bodega Bay. I'm fairly new to LF having just started in early March, but I haven't seen my camera in three weeks and it's amazing how much I'm itching to use it.
Drop me an email it you think you might want to get together. I travel a lot back and forth to the east coast, but right now it looks like June 4 and 5th I will be near you.
Paul

P.S. sorry Mark for turning this into a Northern CA thing...

LADP
20-Oct-2006, 08:08
I'm in Venice, and about to take the plunge into LF. Mostly 35mm, MF and 20 years of 35mm motion picture experience thus far. I'd love to get together with you guys some time.

Anthony Hardwick

LADP
20-Oct-2006, 08:12
Mark, and anyone else who may be interested, you are not alone. There is a small group of us that also suffer from LFD (Large Format Disease). We live in the LA area from Simi Valley to Pasadena and down to Culver City, there are about a half dozen of us and we get together on a fairly regular basis to support each other. This disabilitating condition is highly contagious, I have knowingly infected others and it is my hope that more will fall victim in the future. It may be time to recognize the need to address this condition and form a support group. So that being said if there is anybody in the LA area that would be interested in forming a Large Format group, please drop me an email with your contact information and I will coordinate an initial meeting to get the ball rolling. We could meet informally and get to know each other, share information, prints and maybe plan a few outings; and see what goes on from there.

Greg

Greg, how is one supposed to emai you off board? I tried to, but apparently you've requested not to receive emails through this forum.

PViapiano
20-Oct-2006, 08:34
I'm here in Pasadena, and interested in meeting up with all of you sometime!

vinny
29-Oct-2006, 20:33
I'm in Sherman Oaks. I shoot 8x10 and 4x5. I know 3 others on the show i've been working on who shoot 4x5 and would be interested as well.
vinny

Hugo Zhang
29-Oct-2006, 21:45
I live in Walnut, 20 miles east of downtown LA. Use 8x10 and 10x20.

LADP
29-Oct-2006, 22:35
I'm in Sherman Oaks. I shoot 8x10 and 4x5. I know 3 others on the show i've been working on who shoot 4x5 and would be interested as well.
vinny

Vinny,

What show are you working on, and what do you do on it?

Anthony

steve simmons
30-Oct-2006, 14:59
I will be in LA for Photo LA and would be happy to meet up for dinner - perhaps Sat evening.

steve simmons

LADP
30-Oct-2006, 20:27
I will be in LA for Photo LA and would be happy to meet up for dinner - perhaps Sat evening.

steve simmons

That sounds like a good idea. I, for one, would be up for joining you (assuming I'm not out of town on a shoot).

Anthony

vinny
10-Nov-2006, 20:56
Vinny,

What show are you working on, and what do you do on it?

Anthony
Brothers and Sisters
Lamp Op
working with former Alias crew

vinny

Ann Mitchell
17-Mar-2007, 11:16
I belong to two groups of photographers that meet once a month in the LA area. The first group is the Los Angeles League of Photographers - they have a website: www.LALOP.org that you can check out to get more information. In general most of them are in the street photography area, rather than large format - but it's a mixed group of amateurs and professionals, with a few of us shooting large format.

I also host a smaller critique-group that is oriented to fine-art photographers, usually on the last Sunday of each month. While we do occasionally discuss technical issues or equipment, the "focus" is much more on conceptual & exhibition projects. Several of us have book projects in the works and are going to Photo Lucida next month. I work in large format (4x5) and the rest range from 8x10 to 35. If you're interested, please feel free to email me: amitchell@lbcc.edu

Best wishes, Ann

Marko
17-Mar-2007, 11:28
Going out with all the equipment in this city is not always simple, even without having to duck under the black cloth for a minute or so. It would often be nice to have an extra pair of eyes along or simply to be in a group larger than one.

Not to mention that those of us with less experience could always learn something from the older hands.

A round of beer at the end sounds good too... :)

David Karp
17-Mar-2007, 15:25
I am in LA. I have not had too much time for photography recently, but think that will be changing in a short time. Would love to get together.