PDA

View Full Version : Pants

chris_4622
12-Dec-2016, 11:08
That's right I have a query about pants for LF. For temperatures around 40 degrees, I'm not talking below freezing type of weather but in the low 40's. Jeans don't cut it unless I wear long underwear which I'd like to avoid. I have 32oz wool pants but that's overkill for these temps. I don't particularly need cargo pockets since I have enough storage in my coat. I'd just like to find something warmer than jeans when I'm out for 2-3 hours standing around more than moving. So what should I be looking for in material and weight?

thanks

Richard Wasserman
12-Dec-2016, 11:12
How about fleece lined pants? These are just some example from one company, there are many others available— http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-pants/mens-lined-pants/mens-lined-pants.aspx

jp
12-Dec-2016, 11:40
In the 40's I still wear cargo shorts!

tgtaylor
12-Dec-2016, 11:46
PolarTec: https://www.rei.com/product/894802/rei-teton-fleece-pants-mens-32-inseam

Thomas

Vaughn
12-Dec-2016, 13:25
I use to have a pair of navy 13-button wool pants. Not too heavy and were great for winter backpacking -- except I found that the eroded limestone in the Grand Canyon shredded the pant bottoms!

chris_4622
12-Dec-2016, 13:27
Thanks for the suggestions...I bought a pair of lined pants from Eddie Bauer that are more casual and I think will work perfectly for my needs. The Duluth pants were a little more heavy duty than I need but I can see where they would be good for colder weather and are more robust for wear.

Ari
12-Dec-2016, 13:28
I wear jeans year-round, +30˚C/-30˚C, but on the coldest days, I'll put on a pair of snow pants.
The most important thing is to keep your feet warm; your legs will get cold last (unless you're in shorts), so it's worth looking into good footwear as well.
And wearing a neck warmer fools you into thinking you're warm; a lot of heat is lost through the neck area.

Richard Wasserman
12-Dec-2016, 13:33
And a hat, don't forget a hat!

Alan Gales
12-Dec-2016, 14:25
How about Corduroy? It's warmer than Jeans.

When I worked construction outdoors I wore jeans because they held up well. When it was really cold I wore polypropylene underwear. It's warmer and not as bulky as traditional cotton long johns.

Mark Sampson
12-Dec-2016, 14:56
You want L.L.Bean 'Double L' flannel-lined jeans. Warm, less bulky than fleece-lined pants; of course with any retailer, act NOW. Christmas purchasing will deplete everyone's stocks... don't be left out in the cold.

Two23
12-Dec-2016, 16:43
Wind will go right through fleecy pants. I suggest non-cotton long underwear under a GoreTex shell pants. The long underwear (many weights to choose from) is an insulating layer, and the shell is not only wind proof but also waterproof, so you can kneel in the snow. When it starts getting cooler, layers are your best best. The base layer + shell is lightweight but will keep the heat in, without tiring you when you bend your legs while walking.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-precip-pants-waterproof-for-men~p~116um/?filterString=mens-rain-pants~d~390%2F

Kent in SD

Alan Gales
12-Dec-2016, 16:45
I wear jeans year-round, +30˚C/-30˚C, but on the coldest days, I'll put on a pair of snow pants.
The most important thing is to keep your feet warm; your legs will get cold last (unless you're in shorts), so it's worth looking into good footwear as well.
And wearing a neck warmer fools you into thinking you're warm; a lot of heat is lost through the neck area.

You would think that about your feet but I kind of disagree. For some people you are right but my feet can get cold and I can still work. If my legs get cold, I'm in trouble though. One foreman I had couldn't stand for his ears to get cold. With some it's their chest. Everyone is different.

I worked construction so I would be moving around a lot part of the time and sometimes have to stand in one spot working. The problem was that my feet would sweat and then get cold when I was standing. My solution was an uninsulated pair of leather work boots and a pair of wool socks to wisk the moisture away. That worked great for me.

Bruce Watson
12-Dec-2016, 20:23
Wind will go right through fleecy pants. I suggest non-cotton long underwear under a GoreTex shell pants. The long underwear (many weights to choose from) is an insulating layer, and the shell is not only wind proof but also waterproof, so you can kneel in the snow. When it starts getting cooler, layers are your best best. The base layer + shell is lightweight but will keep the heat in, without tiring you when you bend your legs while walking.

The voice of experience. I'm in complete agreement; I've tried a lot of things over the years, and this is what actually works for me.

John Kasaian
12-Dec-2016, 21:47
How about Corduroy? It's warmer than Jeans.

When I worked construction outdoors I wore jeans because they held up well. When it was really cold I wore polypropylene underwear. It's warmer and not as bulky as traditional cotton long johns.
+1 for polyproplyene underwear. Low 40's isn't cold enough though---corduroy is great if it's dry. When I was in Alaska I could get Army Surplus wool pants pretty cheap---not sure whose army it was, but they were sure warm!

Alan Gales
12-Dec-2016, 22:52
+1 for polyproplyene underwear. Low 40's isn't cold enough though---corduroy is great if it's dry. When I was in Alaska I could get Army Surplus wool pants pretty cheap---not sure whose army it was, but they were sure warm!

Yeah, low 40's isn't cold enough for polypropylene underwear but people are different. I went to pick up a friend one day when it was about 30 degrees. For a coat I had on just a plain Levi's jean jacket but I was used to working outside. My friend who was an office worker had a heavy winter coat, sock hat and a big neck scarf. He told me that I could at least button up my jacket. ;)

Jerry Bodine
12-Dec-2016, 23:02
And a hat, don't forget a hat!

Right on, Richard. 50% of body heat is lost through the head. Old recommendation among climbers: If your feet are cold, put on a hat.

tonyowen
13-Dec-2016, 04:55
If your feet are cold, put on a hat.

Feet cold, wear a hat, yes, but there are other male-specific dangers when spending time outside in cold temperatures:-

Many decades ago I took part in the Muskoka Loppet (30km cross country skiing race in Ontario). I wore full long johns and jeans together with regular under clothes.
The temperature was in the region of 30 below, and after a while I had to stop skiing as I had frost bitten penis!!!!!!!!

Subsequently my wife found and copied me the attached article from her copy of The New England Journal of Medicine.
Why or how it happened I do not know as I had skied in the same clothing configuration without problems before and since.

BE WARNED
Regards
Tony

Alan Gales
13-Dec-2016, 10:28
Ouch!

David Lobato
13-Dec-2016, 12:32
I second the non-cotton long underwear and Gore-Tex pants. I will add knee length wool socks and wool pants for even better warmth. The North American Mountain Men used wristlets and anklets because that's where blood flows close the skin surface. Many years ago surplus wool pants were cheap and plentiful. Buy a size too big and wash them in warm water to shrink and tighten the wool weave. They never let me down in the bitter cold.

Richard Wasserman
13-Dec-2016, 13:21
Ouch!

I suspect that "Ouch" doesn't begin to get close to what that must have felt like...

tonyowen
13-Dec-2016, 14:09
I suspect that "Ouch" doesn't begin to get close to what that must have felt like...

Dead right, but it has given Val and I a number of laughs over the years especially with the NEJM article in mind.
To deviate and show our (peculiar/realistic) sense of humour- a decade and a half later I had exploratory surgery to investigate possible testicular cancer. When I awoke I found that one testicle had been lopped off. So Val reckons that when I do my Tarzan act through the trees I go bong pause bong pause bong instead of the previous bing-bong, bing-bong, bing-bong!!!!!!!!!!

regards
Tony

Alan Gales
13-Dec-2016, 16:15

I agree Richard but the other words that came to mind I didn't want to post on the forum. ;)

Vaughn
13-Dec-2016, 16:33
I backpacked for years in Lederhosen (6 to 8 inch inseam and no suspenders). Nice thick leather protection, but loose enough to keep well ventilated and cool. During a dayhike, I wandered up to the top of a knife-edge ridge and spent the afternoon on the western side, out of the wind and in the sun...very toasty nice.

Getting late, and a long walk back to camp, I left via the shady side, slowly climbing my way down a steep narrow snowy chute with the wind coming up from below. Got to the point where I had to visually check my hand holds as I could not feel my fingers anymore -- but it was the wind coming off the snow and up the ravine -- and up my Lederhosen that cooled me down!

Two23
13-Dec-2016, 19:14
Forty degrees F doesn't sound really cold, but it depends. Chicago can have a very damp cold, no sunshine, and a cold breeze coming off the lake. The damp cold seems to penetrate more easily. I think in those conditions the GoreTex (i.e. waterproof/breathable) pant with a light to mid weight base layer under it would actually be about right. It's been hitting zero F when I'm out at night lately, supposed to be diving to -20F by weekend. That's a different level of cold, but the strategy is the same: stop the wind, stop wet from coming in while allowing moisture (sweat) to get out, and add insulating layers.

Kent in SD

Winger
13-Dec-2016, 19:31
In the 40s, I just wear Duluth firehouse cargos. If it's cold, maybe I'd add something under them. LLBean has great flannel lined jeans - that's as much as I've needed in the winter. I don't even zip my jacket if it's above freezing, though.

Drew Bedo
14-Dec-2016, 06:13
Grew up in Michigan. Layers are always a good idea. As I have gotten older though cold sensitivity has gone up . . .but long years living in Texas contribujtes some.

Consider either wearing an under-layer such as sweat pants with a pair of larger sized jeans over. The other wayh to go of colurse is to wear something over your regular pants; either large sized jeans over or perhaps a pair of wind cutting rain pants or lowers from a track suit.

The styrsategy I propose is to give a second layer that allows you to change into something lighter without stripping down to what others recognize as underwear.

Jody_S
14-Dec-2016, 08:15
Sorry, gotta go with wool (or cotton, for milder weather) long underwear. There's a reason they've been around forever. Yes I feel like I've somehow turned into my own grandfather whenever I put them on. But I buy my jeans 1 size too big for a reason, well several reasons, but this is one of them.

Jim Becia
14-Dec-2016, 10:34
That's right I have a query about pants for LF. For temperatures around 40 degrees, I'm not talking below freezing type of weather but in the low 40's. Jeans don't cut it unless I wear long underwear which I'd like to avoid. I have 32oz wool pants but that's overkill for these temps. I don't particularly need cargo pockets since I have enough storage in my coat. I'd just like to find something warmer than jeans when I'm out for 2-3 hours standing around more than moving. So what should I be looking for in material and weight?

thanks

Chris, check out Mountain Hardwear's Yumalino pants. For what you describe, these are wonderful. I live in them from November till March here in Wisconsin. Lined, stretches, and comfortable as hell. They will keep my legs warm to almost zero, yet are not too hot at 40 degree temperatures. Have tried others from REI and Duluth, the Yumalinos are by far the best, at least for me.

h2oman
16-Dec-2016, 08:53
The Yumalino pants are a version of what I was going to suggest. They are made of "soft-shell material," which in my mind is the biggest advance in outdoor clothing in the last 10-20 years. (Trolling Drew there...) I have a lighter pair that I wear with or without light polypropylene underwear, depending on how cold it is, and a heavy pair that I wear with light polypro for backcountry skiing, where I am out all day in the cold and snow (but moving pretty much all the time),

The softshell material is wind and water resistant but more breathable than Gore-tex. It dries quickly when it gets wet. Many companies make pants and jackets out of it. If you want to save some $$, try ordering from Sierra Trading Post. I usually order a variety of sizes and brands and ship back what doesn't fit.

Well, I looked, and right now they (STP) don't have much of a selection. I should add that these pants are pricey, but mine have lasted a long time.

dasBlute
16-Dec-2016, 09:36
Love my craghoppers, good enough for romping around Scotland...

http://www.us.craghoppers.com/

- Tim

Graham Patterson
16-Dec-2016, 13:04
Good old Craghoppers. Great for doing geology field work in my younger days. I also like Rohan Designs' Winter Bags for temperatures down to around freezing. Not that it gets much below freezing for very long in the SF Bay area!

MrFujicaman
17-Dec-2016, 10:44
I've spotted the following deals this season:
WWW.sportsmansguide.com has some Dickie's flannel lined brown duck work jeans for $22.49-their seconds, but I've bought seconds before and was never able to find the flaws. They also have their "Guide Gear" blue jeans with a flannel lining for $18.00

You might also look at the following places:
Sierra Trading Post
www.haband.blair.com
Duluth Trading