PDA

View Full Version : Please help to identify a Clement & Gilmer soft focus (?) lens

lucaas
12-Dec-2016, 01:54
Hi,
I recently picked up a Clement & Gilmer portrait lens. The engravings on the lens barrel are

Series A
Extra Rapid
No.3
Clement & Gilmer
Paris

There is no serial number on the lens barrel.
The interesting thing is it has 4 notches on the rear lens rim and a small pin pointing to notch 4. I unscrew the rear lens and the two glass elements are in reversed petzval layout which is very similar to Dallmeyer patent portrait lens. I think unscrewing the last glass element can obtain certain soft focus effect and the notches are for the degree of soft focus.
Could anyone provide more information about this lens? Why C&G could manufacture this type of lens despite Dallmeyer's patent?

Thank you!

Steven Tribe
12-Dec-2016, 03:42
Yes, I can provide information!

Gasc et Charconnet were taken over by Laverne around 1877 and two gentlemen called Georges Gilmer and Eugene Clement joined the company during the next ten years.

Lenses were engraved (in approx. chronological order).

Charconnet et Laverne.
Laverne.
Laverne, Clement et gilmer.
Clement et Gilmer.

Finally Clement and Gilmer had their own separate organisations from around 1907.

When Laverne entered with his capital, the only changes were the engraving - the previous G & C models were continued.
Gradually new models were introduced and the less well selling models were given up.

G & C had a Petzval series called the 8th which used "verres anglais". This was made in two versions "A" and "B". version A was described as " a la maison Ross", whilst version B was "imite de DAllmeyer"!

I have one of these Dallmeyer imitations can confirm that it has the revised Dallmeyer rear pair. It doesn't have the facility for turning the external lens. One has to unscrew the rear cell and then unscrew the inner lens. It works just as well - Dallmeyer used this system with the later "turn the barrel" versions of the A, B and D patent portrait lens.

I know that at least Derogy also produced a Dallmeyer Copy.

G & C made this Dallmeyer lens in 3 sizes.

EFL 13cm. lens diameter 54mm
EFL 16cm. Lens diameter 70mm
EFL 25cm Lens diameter 81mm (note that the lens diameter given are actual size - not visable size!).

THere is no information about other "Dallmeyer" series, but there are a lot of other less common series which might have had a dallmeyer arrangement. If the focal length and lens size doesn't match, I'll have another look!

lucaas
12-Dec-2016, 04:45
Yes, I can provide information!

Hi Steven,

Thank you very much for the information. This lens has the same soft focus mechanism as early Dallmeyer patent portrait lens. The external lens can be uncrewed and no need to uncrew the whole rear cell.
The physical diameter of both front and rear glass is about 80mm. The distance from the image to waterhouse slot is about 28cm. Very similar to the third size.

Steven Tribe
12-Dec-2016, 05:30
It must be this one, as there are no other series which have this combination of lens diameter or focal length.

The difference in rear adjustment could be due to having to keep a low profile when selling to English speaking countries. Mine is a USA import by Geo. Bryant of Boston.

It is quite logical that they would have continued to have this model in production until they had used up all the optical glass they had purchased from Chance Bros. in England around 1875.

For reference, the lens has the following catalogue description:

8th Series (originally from around 1865)
Quick acting lens - twice as fast as series 1.

Objective sub series B

No. 60 (manufacturer's no. - never on the lens)

focal length 25cm lens 81mm - designed for "carte-album"

lucaas
12-Dec-2016, 05:59
It must be this one, as there are no other series which have this combination of lens diameter or focal length.

The difference in rear adjustment could be due to having to keep a low profile when selling to English speaking countries. Mine is a USA import by Geo. Bryant of Boston.

It is quite logical that they would have continued to have this model in production until they had used up all the optical glass they had purchased from Chance Bros. in England around 1875.

For reference, the lens has the following catalogue description:

8th Series (originally from around 1865)
Quick acting lens - twice as fast as series 1.

Objective sub series B

No. 60 (manufacturer's no. - never on the lens)

focal length 25cm lens 81mm - designed for "carte-album"

Thanks Steven, really appreciated.