PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Deardorff Style Large Fomat Base Plates Made by Ries Tripod

Ries Tripod
9-Dec-2016, 12:43
Replacement Base-Plate for Deardorff and most Large Format Cameras. Better than the original. This is not made from cast aluminum as were the original stock base-plate. These are made with 6061-T6 Aluminum and milled to specifications. Also, there is a threaded stainless steel insert to prevent cross-threading when mounting your camera to the tripod. Thread size available is 1/4″-20 or 3/8″-16. Base Plate is 6 Inches in diameter. If you require another dimension or want a custom base plate please call. Visit riestripod.com and see under accessories. EMAIL OR CALL US AND WE WILL GIVE YOU 20% OFF IF YOU MENTION THIS POST!

Jac@stafford.net
9-Dec-2016, 15:15
I deleted my original response so I could double-check.

The inner ring of four screws appear to be rotated if the logo is kept at the top which is a good thing because we can re-drill fresh screw holes. Excellent.

Do all the other 12 perimeter screws follow the original spacing of the aluminum bed plate? I've several bed plates and found spacing to be finicky.

And welcome, welcome. So very glad to have you here.

Ries Tripod
9-Dec-2016, 17:13
The screw holes are lined up. If you need fresh holes simply turn 5 degrees and make new holes.

Luis-F-S
10-Dec-2016, 07:56
The screw holes are lined up. If you need fresh holes simply turn 5 degrees and make new holes.
Seems pretty obvious! L

Jac@stafford.net
10-Dec-2016, 14:38
Sorry, my OCD kicked in.

Leigh
10-Dec-2016, 17:09
Photos?

- Leigh

Jac@stafford.net
10-Dec-2016, 17:21
Photos?

http://www.riestripod.com/product/camera-deardorff-replacement-baseplate/

Yes, I would think that Reis would provide the link in their post. Maybe the new owners are still on training wheels.

Hope this helps

Leigh
10-Dec-2016, 17:29
Yes, I would think that Reis would provide the link in their post. Maybe new owners on training wheels,
Hope this helps
I don't know why the quote doesn't match your post #7. Oh well.

Regarding the product...

It looks quite nice.

You mentioned that it's milled out of 6061 aluminum, which is fine.
But I hope the boss on the back is an added component.
If it's milled from billet, that would waste a huge amount of material.

- Leigh

Jac@stafford.net
10-Dec-2016, 17:34
You mentioned that it's milled out of 6061 aluminum, which is fine.
But I hope the boss on the back is an added component.
If it's milled from billet, that would waste a huge amount of material.

Only a life-long experienced machinist would notice that, Leigh. :)
CNC slaves today don't know sh*t.

Leigh
10-Dec-2016, 17:41
Only a life-long experienced machinist would notice that, Leigh. :)
CNC slaves today don't know sh*t.
Journeyman Tool & Die Maker since 1960.

And your CNC comment is spot on.

- Leigh

Ries Tripod
10-Dec-2016, 18:25
You are exactly right, sorta. It is milled from billet but they are the end cuts from making the A250 bases and A100 platters. The end cuts come from the mill at a slight angle by as much as 1/4" making them almost useless. We mill away all the bad and recover the good. That is how re-purpose what otherwise would be waste. So from making 400 platters and bases we end up with about 12 base-plates.

Cheers,
Spencer

Ries Tripod
10-Dec-2016, 18:26
Replacement Base-Plate for Deardorff and most Large Format Cameras. Better than the original. This is not made from cast aluminum as were the original stock base-plate. These are made with 6061-T6 Aluminum and milled to specifications. Also, there is a threaded stainless steel insert to prevent cross-threading when mounting your camera to the tripod. Thread size available is 1/4″-20 or 3/8″-16. Base Plate is 6 Inches in diameter. If you require another dimension or want a custom base plate please call. Visit riestripod.com and see under accessories. EMAIL OR CALL US AND WE WILL GIVE YOU 20% OFF IF YOU MENTION THIS POST!

Jac@stafford.net
11-Dec-2016, 14:12
I made clock faces of the Deardorff base plates. Note how the outer fastener holes are 1-12. I would consider the same for Reis but ...