PDA

View Full Version : Question - Lens boards for older Nagaoka 4x5

EdC
7-Dec-2016, 12:04
I was considering a 4x5 field camera to complement my monorail, and found a Nagaoka at an absurdly low price. I called the retailer about this, and asked them about the camera. They explained that the low price is due to this being an early model which takes a lens board that is not readily available. I'm no expert, but I hadn't heard of this before. I've done some research since that time, and have not found anything on this. I could not find a US importer. I was thinking about contacting someone like SK Grimes to see if they had any information, but thought I'd check with the forum first. Any information on this?

Thanks,

Ed

Great forum, by the way, It's been a real plus to have all of this information available.

blue4130
7-Dec-2016, 15:02
I have one that also must be early as my lens boards are a non-standard size. Mine are 94mmx104mm. It was pretty easy to have them custom made. I used flat carbon fiber that was 2mm thick. Total cost was about $7 each. As for the camera, I love it. Nice and light.

EdC
8-Dec-2016, 07:52
Thanks for the information, Vance! Is the lens board perfectly flat, or did you have to add felt or deal with some sort of groove in the front standard? I did compare your stated dimensions with a standard Technika/Wista board, and those measure 98mm high and 96mm wide, so that sort of eliminates the possibility of having an adapter made. Hmmmm...... I'll have to think about this a bit. The Nagaoka that I located is priced at roughly half of what a later model would sell for.

Does yours have the same specs as later models in terms of movements and bellows draw, etc.?

Thanks,

Ed

blue4130
8-Dec-2016, 14:41
I had flat boards made, and have had no problem with light leaks even in bright sun. I've thought about adding felt as the carbon fiber has a sheen to it, but haven't yet because I've had no problems so far.

As for the movements, I am not too familiar with the others just mine. But it has enough bellows for a 300mm. It might not focus Headshots with a 300, but infinity is fine. It has plenty of rise and fall on the front. Lots lots of tilt front and read. No shift on either and swing is a little wonky on rear and none on the front.

If you are looking for an architecture camera, I'd go with something else, but for a light general purpose camera, I love mine.

EdC
20-Dec-2016, 15:37
Good information and summary, Vance! The headache that I see with possible acquisition of this camera is that I would have to get ready to swap lenses from the existing Technika lens boards to these lens boards whenever I wanted to use it. The only alternative to that would be to purchase additional lenses. This wouldn't be an issue if this particular Nagaoka was the only 4x5 that I had.

Well, nice learning experience, and best to find out prior to purchase.

Ed

stawastawa
20-Dec-2016, 15:57
To follow up on your earlier idea to use technika boards.

One can use the smaller technika boards intended for use on 2x3 cameras and build an adapter for that. I believe that Corran has done this and would have more information.
I believe there is a small technika to large technika adapter but not sure.

Or as lance has done you could make small say 80x80 boards for all your lenses and have an adapter for each your technika and nagaoka.

Good information and summary, Vance! The headache that I see with possible acquisition of this camera is that I would have to get ready to swap lenses from the existing Technika lens boards to these lens boards whenever I wanted to use it. The only alternative to that would be to purchase additional lenses. This wouldn't be an issue if this particular Nagaoka was the only 4x5 that I had.

Well, nice learning experience, and best to find out prior to purchase.

Ed

blue4130
20-Dec-2016, 17:31
If it is a low dollar purchase, I would totally go for it and suffer the headaches. It's really a nice light camera in use. I don't regret my purchase at all.

EdC
21-Dec-2016, 08:48
To fill you in, Vance, the dealer lists the camera as in excellent condition, with a price of $350, if I recall correctly.

To answer Nicholas, my understanding was that it would not be possible to make an adapter board. I measured my Technika boards, and they are 98mm high by 96mm wide. From Vance's note above, the older Nagaoka boards are 104mm high by 94mm wide. If he intended those measurements the other way around, we'd still be short in a critical dimension. If I am overlooking something, please let me know. Your idea of making a smaller common board and then using two separate adapter boards is interesting. I'm sure that someone like SK Grimes could do so, but the cost of something custom like this would be a consideration.

Thanks,

Ed

cowanw
21-Dec-2016, 20:39
What can be done is to fix an adaptor board such as Deardorff to Tech on the front of an appropriate Nagoaka, The shelf of the Deardorff side (90.424) may fit on the exposed Nagoaka board. It does take the anti up to 3 boards and adds a bit of bellows length, but otherwise works well.

Bill_1856
22-Dec-2016, 06:56
Lens boards can be EASILY made just by cutting out the correct thickness Masonite. Easy to make the hole, too.

jmontague
29-Dec-2016, 19:50
I had the same experience. But, I have a neighbor with tools. I used (1) a planer for thickness, (2) a table saw for the cutting the boards to size, (3) a drill press with forstner bits for the holes and (4) a router for the edge and recess for the retaining ring. Cherry stain and tung oil on the front, mat black spray paint on the back. They look and work beautifully.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161230/e6edf18d185524d73adc88b7209748bf.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161230/26f81545903d7fb8e604e731c0634abf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barnacle
30-Dec-2016, 11:27
Might I ask the thickness of the board at the point of the cutout for the shutter? And perhaps the overall thickness?

On my homebrew camera, I've used two 1/16" boards laminated to provide strength in both directions and remove the need for routing; I'm designing a new homebrew and pondering the same questions.

Neil

jmontague
30-Dec-2016, 13:41
I will take some measurements when I get home. Here is the eBay seller from who I purchased the mahogany:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252314907610

The quality of the raw boards was great (I bought a total of two lots of four boards each) and the finished product positively glows with beautiful grain. Also, the boards were very flat with little or no cupping or warping. Very pleased with this seller.

I was a bit concerned about the lensboards warping over time, so I made sure to seal them well with tung oil finish and a couple of coats of rub-in mat polyurethane, including the back prior to painting them black. So far, so good.

barnacle
31-Dec-2016, 02:06
The postage to the UK is a bit prohibitive, sadly: I used http://www.slecuk.com/balsa-wood/Mahogany.html who can provide down to 1/32" sheet in four inch widths. They do look nice, though.

I'm looking also at these guys for supplies: http://www.woodshopdirect.co.uk/planed-all-round/ - there's a steep cutting charge but the timber is inexpensive (unless you want real teak!). Half the fun of the design is seeing how few different wood thicknesses I can get away with.

Neil

EdC
3-Jan-2017, 08:23
Nice workmanship on the lens board!

Ed

jmontague
3-Jan-2017, 17:36
If that compliment was meant for me, thanks very much. It's all about having the right tools (or a generous neighbor who does [emoji106]).

EdC
4-Jan-2017, 19:54
My fault! I should have been a wee bit more specific, but yes, good work on the lens boards! Something to be said for power tools!

Ed

EdC
19-Jan-2017, 19:08
Just a a little follow up to Vance's comment. The dealer dropped the price to $200. Even allowing for picking up a couple of lightweight lenses, there's no way that I could pass this up as a good way to get a good camera for field work that would be much lighter and portable than what I have.

Also, I like the carbon fiber idea a lot. What did you do to get the boards drilled?

Thanks,

Ed

blue4130
19-Jan-2017, 21:02
I live in China, the land of factories. I just found a cnc shop online and had them done on a laser cutter. Should be able to find something similar in the West.

EdC
26-Jan-2017, 21:14
Another interesting turn in this saga. I received the camera earlier today, and took some careful measurements of the opening for the lens board in the front standard. What I have is a square lensboard opening measuring 92mm on a side. Now, I assume that this is a Nagaoka, although there is no nameplate of any sort on this camera, or any other markings, period. Well, looks like an opportunity to get together with a friend and try to fabricate some boards.

Ed