PDA

View Full Version : Thornton Pickard Shutter

brucep
7-Dec-2016, 08:45

I have just acquired one of these shutters and the mechanism of setting the shutter speed is confusing me. The knob on the other side will turn the black pointer/dial one more tooth until it hits the ratchet mechanism, but will not turn it any further back than one tooth, so it is essentially stuck at the fastest speed. So do I have to slacken the brass screw and manually move it round or am I missing something obvious?

I have never seen new bulb releases for these shutters, so how do people trigger them nowadays? I don't really want to touch it and cause a vibration.

Thanks
Bruce

IanG
7-Dec-2016, 09:56
Bruce, I have one or two of these shutter, well maybe 50 plus in various size :D I've 8 in front of me at the moment including a stereo version that I'm restored for someone in Italy.

There's a ratchet spring on the other side, release it and the spindle unwinds releasing the increased tension and returning the speed dial to it's lowest setting.

The spring is at the bottom in this photo.

http://lostlabours.co.uk/photography/cameras/images/QP_shutter.jpg

I'm hoping to get new bulb releases made but haven't had time yet. I often tap the release arms to take a modern cable release which was done by Thornon Pickard themselves on the last shutters. Although the company ceased trading in the 1930s TP shutters were made by a workshop (former employee) up until about 1960.

Ian

brucep
8-Dec-2016, 05:41
I'm hoping to get new bulb releases made but haven't had time yet. I often tap the release arms to take a modern cable release which was done by Thornon Pickard themselves on the last shutters. Although the company ceased trading in the 1930s TP shutters were made by a workshop (former employee) up until about 1960.

Ian

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what size tap you use to thread the release bar for a modern cable release, and I assume that removing the screw holding the release bar in place doesn't do anything other than allow me to remove it ie springs won't fly everywhere!

Bruce

IanG
8-Dec-2016, 06:18
Bruce, I can't read the markings on the taps, but think they are 2mm 2.5mm and 3mm. I took a couple of cable releases into my local hardware store and tried which sized nuts they screwed into best. Cable releases have tapered threaded ends most cameras and shutters have straight threaded cable release sockets - I found a cable release would fit all three sizes hence three different taps. I think 2.5mm was best but do the same when getting your tap.

Yes just remove the one screw and the arm comes off without affecting the shutter. When refitting the other end goes under the flattish plate. it's simple.

Ian

almostpilot
28-Jan-2020, 08:57
Hi I have just acquired a Thornton Pickard Shutter and I have the same issue, I can increase the speed by turning the brass knob but I do not know how to decrease the speeds.You say to release the rachet spring and I know the part you mean but I do not know HOW to release the tension on the ratchet spring. Can you please give "for idiots" instructions? I ma very scared of damaging the shutter.
Hope to hear from you.

Two23
28-Jan-2020, 09:51
New bulbs can be found on ebay, in the camera category.

Dan Fromm
28-Jan-2020, 10:03
Ian Grant, who posts on photrio.com, repairs Thornton-Pickard shutters. Go there and ask him for advice.

almostpilot
28-Jan-2020, 10:18
?? That is not what I asked!

almostpilot
28-Jan-2020, 10:19
thanks

Tin Can
28-Jan-2020, 10:40
Now I think it is what i just found in my tools.

A 3 piece set DWTS 5-44

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Thread-Round-Right-Taper/dp/B071K1JJ33

Tin Can
28-Jan-2020, 10:58
https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/tapered-tap-for-cable-release-socket.166431/

DMS206
28-Jan-2020, 14:41
Just below the winding knob is a black hairpin shaped spring, if you push down on the front of that spring, it will release the spring tension and return to 1/15 sec.
Hop this helps
Dave

almostpilot
29-Jan-2020, 07:10
Just below the winding knob is a black hairpin shaped spring, if you push down on the front of that spring, it will release the spring tension and return to 1/15 sec.
Hop this helps
Dave

Did it, thank you very much!

Steven Tribe
30-Jan-2020, 02:40
Ian Grant, who posts on photrio.com, repairs Thornton-Pickard shutters. Go there and ask him for advice.
Ian has been silent here for a few years.
And doesn’t respond to PMs.

Dan Fromm
30-Jan-2020, 08:07
Ian has been silent here for a few years.
And doesn’t respond to PMs.

He is active on photrio.com. That's why I mentioned that site.

Pete Oakley
30-Jan-2020, 10:16
I've seen Ians work, he does a fantastic job. He's over here in the UK.
Pete.