PDA

View Full Version : what is this? Dry bag for the film holder?

yuexiachou29
30-Nov-2016, 21:24
158154Hello smart people

In the film "somewhere disappear" Alec Soth carries a bag for the film holder
what is it in the attached image?

Also, what do you carry with you when you shooting?
I know some have 2 bags, one for packing everything, the other backpack for film, holders, loupe, meter, other things you will need while shooting.

domaz
2-Dec-2016, 13:04
Perhaps a dry bag map case? REI (https://www.rei.com/product/798008/sealline-large-hp-map-case-22-x-155) has something like this that would work for an 8x10 film holder

Willie
2-Dec-2016, 16:35
Would make me nervous carrying it in a clear bag as too easy to have problems in bright light. We see a lot of posts here about light leaks. Why chance it?
So many opaque bags, packs and the like available. Why push it with a clear one?

domaz
2-Dec-2016, 16:53
If there's a problem with your film holders I don't think an opaque bag is going to save you. The moment you open it, you are done anyways. The good thing about a clear case would easily telling which holders have been used, how many are left etc.

Willie
2-Dec-2016, 21:27
If there's a problem with your film holders I don't think an opaque bag is going to save you. The moment you open it, you are done anyways. The good thing about a clear case would easily telling which holders have been used, how many are left etc.

Some holders have to be exposed to light for more than a short time to leak. Why chance it?

Normal out of the case into the camera. Slide out to shoot the exposure and then back in the case and you are OK. Sitting out in sunlight for 10 minutes and more and you might find the weak spots.