PDA

View Full Version : Strange rotated "frame" on the negative

giannicarioni
29-Nov-2016, 15:54
Hi to all, this is my first post in LF forum.

in the attached image you can see two areas with different lightning, near to the lower border of the image. the two158078 arrows show the issue.

Shen hao HZX 45 IIA, Shneider 150, Foma 100 4x5 developed in Patterson tank with "taco" method in HC 110 diluition H, and scanned with an Epson V700.

Just added an S-shaped curve in PS to give more evidence of the issue.

To avoid light leaks I do not pull the dark frame out completely.

I have a second shot, identical, but with no issue, coming from the same film holder.

Can someone give some ideas about what generated this strange result? Thank you in advance.

Leigh
29-Nov-2016, 16:09
This looks like insufficient volume of developer.

Pour water into the empty tank, enough to cover to the top of the film with some excess.
Measure that volume, and use that amount of all chemicals.

- Leigh

giannicarioni
29-Nov-2016, 16:18
well, this is the only one sheet with such a problem, the other three are clean. But, may be, this moved inside the tank and was only partial covered. I use 800 ml of developer, and this is the first time that it's not enough. Taco method is too much error prone.

Thank you very much, you solved the problem.

Jim Noel
29-Nov-2016, 19:34
One possibility is that the 2 areas did not get covered by developer for the full development time. Using the what I think is dreadful taco method it is possible for one sheet of film to block the other for a period of time.

giannicarioni
29-Nov-2016, 22:35
well, this is the only one sheet with such a problem, the other three are clean. But, may be, this moved inside the tank and was only partial covered. I use 800 ml of developer, and this is the first time that it's not enough. Taco method is too much error prone.*

Thank you very much, you solved the problem.*

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A3003 utilizzando Tapatalk

tonyowen
30-Nov-2016, 03:18
I use 800 ml of developer*
1] Jobo recommend the following minimum volumes for rotary development of sheet film using the 2509 insert
tank 2521/23 - 270ml
tank 2551/53 - 560ml
tank 2561/63 - 730ml
tank 2560 - 730ml
expert 3004 - 270ml
expert 3005 - 270ml
expert 3006 - 210 (sic) ml
2] It is common practice to remove the dark slide fully when exposing. The reason is the dark slide has (usually) a white and black top that can be used to indicate whether the film in the dark slide has been exposed or not.

regards
Tony

Doremus Scudder
30-Nov-2016, 03:41
Brighter areas on the print are darker, i.e., denser on the negative and have received more development or exposure, not less. Low developer volume would cause a less-dense area clear across the top (in the tank) of the negative, resulting in a dark stripe on the print. It would also likely be a lot less well-defined than what you have.

It looks to me as if your negative has been light-struck. Was it sitting in a stack or tray before being fixed fully or while being loaded/unloaded and possibly exposed to dim light? It looks like a corner of the film was sticking out from under something and then slightly exposed, either before or after the image exposure.

Best,

Doremus

IanG
30-Nov-2016, 04:24
I agree with Doremus, it's not a developer issue, Maybe fogging from an LED light while the film was stacked maybe when loading the dark slides.

Ian

giannicarioni
23-Aug-2021, 10:50
Thanks to all. I think the problem was in the box where I put it before developing. It was not light safe (foma 100 cardboard box) and not used the black plastica bag.

esearing
27-Aug-2021, 04:22
Thanks to all. I think the problem was in the box where I put it before developing. It was not light safe (foma 100 cardboard box) and not used the black plastica bag.

You can line a film box with some black artist paper or construction paper glued in and make it light proof. I hate messing with film in plastic bags and trying to fold everything back into the box, so I lined one of my old film boxes and put film in there once opened. I also usually use the folded cardboard that comes on ilford 4x5 film as an extra measure of protection. If you store your film in humid environment use a zip lock freezer bag on the outside of the box. This also works for paper boxes as an easy open paper safe if you line the sides as well as top and bottom interior.