PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak 84mm lens for crown graphic

Kevin Hollis
14-May-2005, 08:30
Does anyone know if a wollensak 84mm heavy duty betax #2 lens (f5) will fit a crown graphic? I currently have a 127mm kodak ektar lens on the camera. If so do I need a different lensboard, and is this a good lens? I have searched the internet and have found no info on this particular lens. Thanks, Kevin

Dan Fromm
14-May-2005, 09:13
Which size Crown do you have? 2x3, 3x4, 4x5?

I think that lens is from a Graflex Photorecord camera, won't cover 2x3, 3x4, or 4x5. But its shutter should go on any of the boards.

Kevin Hollis
14-May-2005, 09:23
Dan, It's a 4x5. You're right it does say "graflex photorecord" on the front. So is it useless on a 4x5 camera? If not any idea what it is worth. Thanks, kevin

Dan Fromm
14-May-2005, 11:18
I have no idea what its worth. They don't seem to bring much on eBay.

There's an unfortunate law of nature to the effect that there are no inexpensive wide angle lenses for formats larger than nominal 6x6. I keep hoping, but its a pretty forlorn hope.

Cheers,

Dan

Ole Tjugen
15-May-2005, 06:19
Dan, the inexpensive lenses exist if you know what they are: Monoplast, Weitwinkel Aplanat, or even Angulon...

Dan Fromm
15-May-2005, 11:36
Ole, thanks for the suggestions. By my standards, Angulons are a bit pricey. Oh, to have more spare cash!

I made the point because there are idiot or dishonest vendors on eBay who push Tominon macro lenses as wide angles for 2x3 (the 75/4.5) and 4x5 (75/4.5 and 105/4.5) . They also try to sell standard-issue normal lenses for US-made 2x3 press cameras, mainly 101/4.5 Ektars and Raptar/Optar, as w/a lenses for 4x5. There are also out-and-out crooks who try to sell fast lenses made for oscilloscope cameras as w/a lenses for 4x5. I guess there are a lot of suckers out there.

Cheers,

Dan

Ernest Purdum
15-May-2005, 15:55
Dan, I don't think they are all crooks. You should see some of the questions I get regarding items I have for sale. I wouldn't say idiocy either, but they do reflect a great deal of ignorance.

Another indication of ignorance is the large number of 4x5 view cameras I have seen with 135 or even 127mm Tessar type lenses. No wonder the camera is for sale, all its movements are useless. How sad that what should be a fine experience can be ruined by such a problem.

The best advice I see on this forum is the frequently repeated suggestion to buy a book.

Dan Fromm
15-May-2005, 16:52
Ernest, as you well know, I have a book. Several, in fact. And I've even opened them, if not actually read much.

The eBay vendors who distress me most are the ones who include text to the effect of "I've shot this here lens on that there format and it covers with room to spare" when in fact there's no way the lens in question will even illuminate the format in question. IMO those characters are just making it up and don't have enough shame to use the obvious, um, fig leaf "I've read/seen somewhere on the Internet that this here lens covers that there format." Some of these types move LF lenses in moderate quantities. I rate them as dishonest, not ignorant.

Regards,

Dan