PDA

View Full Version : Changing bag light leak

highkrausen
26-Nov-2016, 11:37
I am getting light leaks from the elastic arm holes in my changing bag. They are only about 4" long, unlike many tents I've seen with 12"+ arms.

The double zipper makes sense but when I put my arms into the bag, I would have expected that I should be reaching into the second bag through a second set of arm holes to block any light.

Instead, the two bags are stitched together and the arm holes are directly to the inner bag.

Am I missing something?

The only idea I can think now is to extend the arms with some trash bags to help block more light. Any other ideas?

Bob Salomon
26-Nov-2016, 11:47
One possibility is to just get another one.

LabRat
26-Nov-2016, 12:50
The elastic in the sleeves tends to go bad after a while, so getting some velcro straps that go around the outsides of the sleeves or some rubber or elastic rings for the outside helps...

Also, use your bag in the darkest place you can find, not in the direct sun, etc...

Steve K

Jac@stafford.net
26-Nov-2016, 13:18
[...]Instead, the two bags are stitched together and the arm holes are directly to the inner bag. Am I missing something? [...]

Yes, indeed - a quality changing bag. Time to shop around.

highkrausen
26-Nov-2016, 13:21
It's only the second time I used it...

I would like something that I can use in sunlight especially on long backpacking trips.

Are there any good recommendations for a lightweight tent?

Greg
26-Nov-2016, 14:08
Are there any good recommendations for a lightweight tent?

ZPacks Hexamid Solo 15oz zpacks.com
any Big Angus bigangnes.com

highkrausen
26-Nov-2016, 14:10
Ha... I didn't specify, interested in a blackout changing tent.

Jim Becia
26-Nov-2016, 15:47
I am getting light leaks from the elastic arm holes in my changing bag. They are only about 4" long, unlike many tents I've seen with 12"+ arms.

The double zipper makes sense but when I put my arms into the bag, I would have expected that I should be reaching into the second bag through a second set of arm holes to block any light.

Instead, the two bags are stitched together and the arm holes are directly to the inner bag.

Am I missing something?

The only idea I can think now is to extend the arms with some trash bags to help block more light. Any other ideas?

I put some heavy duty rubber bands around the sleeves to give added "tightness." I will also throw a coat, towel, or something like that as an added precaution if changing during the day.

Stephen Thomason
26-Nov-2016, 16:58
Cover the changing bag with your darkcloth, if it is large enough. If not, get a couple of yards of black velveteen (it also works well as a light absorbing black background).

Another alternative for a cover cloth is the light blocking white drapery backing material available at sewing stores. It's advantage would be the light reflecting qualities in direct sunlight - it might help keep your changing bag a little cooler.

stawastawa
26-Nov-2016, 20:59
I put some heavy duty rubber bands around the sleeves to give added "tightness." I will also throw a coat, towel, or something like that as an added precaution if changing during the day.

I second the rubber bands.
Darkcloth additional protections is smart and nto somethign I had thought of.

Drew Wiley
29-Nov-2016, 09:22
Sounds like preposterously short sleeves. Other than the rubber band idea, another thing you can do is place a suitably sized black plastic bag inside, like the
kind printing paper is shipped in, as a second light barrier, with any lint shaken or blown out first, of course. I do this even with expensive changing tents.