PDA

View Full Version : RRS QR Plate options for Sinar P/C/F type 4x5 camera?

william.j.dwyer@usa.net
25-Nov-2016, 20:32
I noted a thread from a while ago where someone mentioned having had a small series of custom plates made, but even contacting Really Right Stuff support they have basically no plates for this. They said you could use a 100mm lens plate perhaps. The bottom of the camera is 3" round and it has the female thread and basically nothing but the rim all the way around. See photo below.

Most options are well below 76mm or 3"... I'm currently using a manfrotto hex plate and older manfrotto head. I'd love to be using my RRS BH-55 head instead.

Any ideas or options?

Things i've already considered / tried...

I've considered buying a piece of home depot 16GA steel and get a bunch of jigsaw blades and just cut a 3" round and drill it in the center and attach it to a small standard arca swiss plate. I thought of using aluminum but figure it wouldn't last unless it was really thick.

I've tried using smaller qr plates and it just wobbles about.

I've considered the 100mm RRS lens plate, it could work but might not be as secure.

Thanks,

Bill

Peter De Smidt
25-Nov-2016, 21:03
What head are you planing to use the camera with? I recommend picking up a Sinar pan/tilt head. Leave rail holder mounted to the head. Simply loosen the lock to lift the camera out. I'm generally a big fan of Arca-style quick release plates, and I have them on most of my cameras, but I don't on my P2. Even if I won Lotto, I'd still use a Sinar pan/tilt head for a Sinar camera. It's the most ergonomic and high strength-to-weight ratio solution for a Sinar round-rail camera. Also, while they're not cheap, they aren't ludicrously expensive used.

Ari
26-Nov-2016, 06:54
I'd side with Peter on this one; the Sinar PT head is quite wonderful when paired with a Sinar camera, and vice versa.
If you must use a longer rail in the meantime, FLM makes a 130mm and 160mm QR plate.

Greg
26-Nov-2016, 07:21
Kessler makes a 4"x4" Kwik Utility plate
http://store.kesslercrane.com/products/mounting-grip/kwik-release/kwik-utility-plate-mg1005.html

Their Kwik Release Receiver has a double locking system
http://store.kesslercrane.com/kwik-release-receiver-only-mg1001.html

After having a generic "Arca Swiss" plate fail, switched to Kessler Receivers and Plates and have never looked back.

Jan Pietrzak
26-Nov-2016, 10:06
Greg,

My Christmas present should arrive on Tuesday a KesslerCrane Kwik Release and standard plate.....you are one of the first people to talk about KC products I hope that they are going to work.....I had $80.00 in AE money and free shipping so it is only costing me $90.00.....Tell me more about the 4x4 plate.....Jan

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Nov-2016, 11:05
I bought the Kessler Crane Kwik release plate as well and I love it! I even use it for my ULF cameras. I spoke to the head of design and after some discussion they decided to make a 4"x6" Kwik release base. It is on their site. I have to order one. It is $109.00. I must say that the standard plate holds my 14x17 camera with no problem and it is a dream to mount and unmount. Takes no time at all. Before I had to find the two 3/8-16 screws coming out of my Gitzo head and get them into the base of the camera. Took about 10 minutes at least. Now it is about 10 seconds! I love mine.

Greg
26-Nov-2016, 12:12
Greg,

My Christmas present should arrive on Tuesday a KesslerCrane Kwik Release and standard plate.....you are one of the first people to talk about KC products I hope that they are going to work.....I had $80.00 in AE money and free shipping so it is only costing me $90.00.....Tell me more about the 4x4 plate.....Jan

Via a post on this Forum, found out about Kessler quick releases and camera plates. They seemed to be very well built and their double locking mechanism final sold me on trying them. Took the plunge and bought a Kesseler Kwik Mini Plate for my 4x5, and a Kesseler Kwik Release (receiver) for my tripod head.

Seemed a bit expensive when I ordered them, but when they arrived looked great and after using them, well they are worth every penny. Double locking mechanism/levers foolproof in the field. Ended up buying another Kesseler Kwik Release (receiver) which easily replaced the round camera platform on my large older Foba Ball in Socket head and a Kesseler Kwik Utility plate for my Whole Plate and 11x14 cameras. Mounting my 11x14 Chamonix on the tripod head using the 3/8" screw was always a bit touchy to align the 3/8" screw with the 3/8" socket in the middle of the bed of the camera. Using the Kesseler Kwik Utility plate so much more user friendly and takes a fraction of the time. Stability amazing rock solid.

Greg
26-Nov-2016, 12:19
I bought the Kessler Crane Kwik release plate as well and I love it! I even use it for my ULF cameras. I spoke to the head of design and after some discussion they decided to make a 4"x6" Kwik release base. It is on their site. I have to order one. It is $109.00. I must say that the standard plate holds my 14x17 camera with no problem and it is a dream to mount and unmount. Takes no time at all. Before I had to find the two 3/8-16 screws coming out of my Gitzo head and get them into the base of the camera. Took about 10 minutes at least. Now it is about 10 seconds! I love mine.

Do you have the URL for the 4"x6" plate? I can't seem to find it on their site.
thanks

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Nov-2016, 12:36
I'll check in a few hours. Going to develop 8x20's now.

Jan Pietrzak
26-Nov-2016, 12:56
Greg,

Thank you for the information.....if all work out I will convert the 4x10 and 4x5 and 6x17 over to the KC system....we will see.....I will also have a number of quick releases in the for sale dept....

Jim,

Thank you for confirming my choice.....I miss the old days of seeing/having in my hands the things I want to buy.....It looks like you had a great time at the Lg/ULg format gathering.....

Hasta que nos miramos....Jan

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Nov-2016, 15:09
Jan, yes Kessler is the best I've found I believe it was your post about them. Nice thing is that when I spoke to them they made a bigger one for ULF cameras. They are more of a movie/film/digital company. What impressed me most is that they listened and then delivered what i asked. We need to take a look at the product line and support them. I'll find the link to the larger head. I took a short break .... 2 more 8x20's to go!

Stephen Thomason
26-Nov-2016, 17:01
A lens plate as you mentioned will certainly work - I use one myself. I believe it is the 100mm one from RRS.

On my Toyo 45A and other 4x5's with a solid base, just about any camera plate will work fine.

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Nov-2016, 17:02
Okay sorry but I thought that they were making the Kwik Release receiver but I was wrong. What they made is the Kwik stand XL. Still I'm going to order one and check it out. The system is awesome and works great for ULF.
Here is the link

http://store.kesslercrane.com/kwik-stand-xl.html

Greg
26-Nov-2016, 17:35
By the way, when you order a Kessler plate, they include the allen wrench(es) you will need and an assortment of high quality bolts to use with the plate.

william.j.dwyer@usa.net
26-Nov-2016, 19:12
The kessler plate is exactly what I've been searching for! Thanks so much.

Thanks for all the replies... I would love a sinar pan/tilt head but i've found them to be so expensive and/or not generally available. I've used this rrs piece before from a friend who lent me the 1400$ tripod and 500$ head... I fell in love with it with the L plates for 35mm digital, I just love how it locks so easily and firmly and doesn't slip forward under load at all. Finally got the rrs head at least on an ebay auction for somewhat less than new.

Jan Pietrzak
29-Nov-2016, 16:57
OK, to all.....an 10x8x18 box just came, it also had some of those pillow things inside at 7,000ft they looked a little flat.....I think that this may be the best quick release I have found.....Oh, I can add one more photographer to the list....we had dinner with Kirk and Victoria Gittings and Kirk also changed over to KesslerCrane....if it warms up I may go out and make some pics.....yes we just got our first snow....jan

Thalmees
20-Dec-2016, 15:30
Most options are well below 76mm or 3"... I'm currently using a manfrotto hex plate and older manfrotto head. I'd love to be using my RRS BH-55 head instead.
Any ideas or options?
Bill
Hello,
If you are using RRS lever style quick release clamp, I think you should stick with their plates.
Even though, my RRS 80mm lever style quick release clamp could not hold some RRS plates in place as should.
Purchased another one, and will send the other to be repaired.
For my Sinar, I settled on using a Norma rail clamp plus RRS B35 flat plate. Yes, the plate has a 1/4" screw, but the Norma is compact compared with the regular more recent clamp. Tightened very well with a medium strength thread locker. To be honest, I do not know if I'm obsessive fearing that the neck of the 1/4" screw could break! It's surrounded by a 3/4" to 1/4" adapter anyway!
Doing so because I'm insisting to use the lever style clamps and BH-55 for all format cameras. It's easier to deal with the same mechanism every time.
Hope this useful.
Thanks.

Bob Salomon
20-Dec-2016, 15:35
For my Sinar, I settled on using a Norma rail clamp plus RRS B35 flat plate. Yes, the plate has a 1/4" screw, but the Norma is compact compared with the regular more recent clamp. Tightened very well with a medium strength thread locker. To be honest, I do not know if I'm obsessive fearing that the neck of the 1/4" screw could break! It's surrounded by a 3/4" to 1/4" adapter anyway!

That would really be overkill! Try 3/8 to 1/4-20"

Thalmees
20-Dec-2016, 17:55
That would really be overkill! Try 3/8 to 1/4-20"
Hahaha
Thanks for the correction Bob.
Happy days to you and to every one here.