PDA

View Full Version : Wollensak 1 7/8" 302mm f4.5 Raptar Alphax Synchromatic Lens -- Value?

Whipper
25-Nov-2016, 12:49
Hi! I inherited some vintage large format odds and ends from an uncle years ago, and have started selling them now. I'm having trouble determining the approximate value of this lens though. The Wollensak lens generally don't seem that valuable on eBay, but this must be quite rare as I can't find a reference anywhere at all that would help me set a fair price. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dan Fromm
25-Nov-2016, 13:13
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I'm not a moderator. The moderators will probably chastise you for posting a value question.

Look for sold items on eBay.

Whipper
25-Nov-2016, 13:19
Someone also pm'd me about that... I was unaware! I couldn't find any Wollensak lenses that were at all similar to this one on eBay, or elsewhere for that matter, which is why I came here in desperation, and too impatient to read the rules first!

Sorry about that, and please feel free to delete this thread then.

Randy
25-Nov-2016, 14:18
If you are planning on selling on ebay, and have no idea what kind of value to give the lens, and can not find any lens like it in the ebay sold listings, sometimes it is a good bet to just list the lens as an auction item with a rather low starting bid price, giving a very accurate description and good photos, and let the market (bidders) determine what they are willing to pay.

Whipper
25-Nov-2016, 14:35
That's a good point Randy... when it comes down to it, that's truly the value of anything really!

mdarnton
25-Nov-2016, 15:26
I accumulate Wollensak lenses as a habit. I have bought two similar enlarging lenses, 302/4.5, but have never seen a shuttered one like yours, more modern, in a later shutter, for sale on Ebay, at least in the last three years or so. I believe there's currently one that's much older, with an old shutter on there, but it hasn't sold. In fact, the reason I accumulate them is because they seem to be such incredible bargains that I can't resist. Most are Tessar formulas, decently made, but they don't get no respect. Be aware, then, that scarce doesn't mean valuable.

Putting it up with a low price and waiting for it to get attention seems like good advice.

Mark Sampson
25-Nov-2016, 16:16
Since it is labelled "Raptar" it is coated and was made post-1945, but probably well before Wollensak went out of business c.1972. Should cover 8x10 at normal distances, but that's a semi-educated guess. I've never used, or seen, this exact lens.

Dan Fromm
25-Nov-2016, 16:43
Mark, it is listed in the '49 Raptar catalog on cameraeccentric.com. Look here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/wollensak_3.html Wollensak recommended it for 8x10. And the OP's lens is indeed coated, it has the W-in-C mark that means WoCoated.

jnantz
25-Nov-2016, 21:31
I had that lens once. It covered 8x10 just fine. I bought it from KEH for about $100 in 2001.

i sent the OP an ebay link for 30$ more than that.
its too bad raptars get such a lame - break
they are nice lenses, i have a few, and have had and traded
a few more. they performed well enough that i regretted selling
what i had; the hyped lenses weren't much better to this regular user.
maybe this one is worth more because of the "box" i have a veritar with a box and
i think the box is fantastic, almost as cool as the lens !
i'm guessing like pretty much every box camera made
pre-1933, it is covered in morrocan leather. the OP's box alone
is worth a small fortune for a wollensak lens and box collector !

john

Chauncey Walden
26-Nov-2016, 17:37
I got a Wollensak lens (the triple convertible) in the same kind of box once and under the top or bottom felt insert was a Rochester newspaper sheet for spacing that allowed me to date the lens from the sports scores.

premortho
10-Jan-2017, 15:51
i sent the OP an ebay link for 30$ more than that.
its too bad raptars get such a lame - break
they are nice lenses, i have a few, and have had and traded
a few more. they performed well enough that i regretted selling
what i had; the hyped lenses weren't much better to this regular user.
maybe this one is worth more because of the "box" i have a veritar with a box and
i think the box is fantastic, almost as cool as the lens !
i'm guessing like pretty much every box camera made
pre-1933, it is covered in morrocan leather. the OP's box alone
is worth a small fortune for a wollensak lens and box collector !

johnNow I know why I buy Wollensak Raptors! They don't get no love, so I buy 'em. Hasn't got anything to do with that "Wollensak Glow", of course. Just a cheap lens. And you guys lay off of 'em. This is my private huntin' grounds!