PDA

View Full Version : Lens dust question

seandavid
21-Nov-2016, 13:01
I just received this lens from KEH. It was listed as Excellent+

This isn't the greatest pic, but I'm looking for some advice. All my lenses are used, and have some specs of dust obviously. This one arrived with a rather large white spec.

I'm assuming this will show up in my images, but I'm looking for some input on that issue before sending it back, if possible.

Thanks

Luis-F-S
21-Nov-2016, 13:53
It's so far to the edge I doubt it will show up but can't you always send it back?

Kevin Crisp
21-Nov-2016, 14:03
That isn't going to show up. This is inside the back element and can't be blown off the back? It still isn't going to matter.

Leigh
21-Nov-2016, 14:06
This one arrived with a rather large white spec.
I'm assuming this will show up in my images
The spec is not at the subject plane, therefore it will not be resolved as an image.

At worst it might show up as a VERY slight loss of illumination.
But that would only appear as an unfocused shadow at some point.

- Leigh

Pere Casals
21-Nov-2016, 14:33
but I'm looking for some input on that issue before sending it back, if possible.

As other said, you are not to notice it.

You can also see it on your own, just place on the outside element a soft dust particle (a soft one) that has 10 times more surface, you are not to see it.

Anyway just blow it, as said...

Sometime ago I bought a Fujinon-SWD 5.6/90mm EBC , very, very cheap because it had a remarkable hit (some 3mm) in the rear element, near boundary. It works perfect, just the best acquisiton I've ever made !!! I feel like I would have stolen it !!!

Jac@stafford.net
21-Nov-2016, 14:37
Use and enjoy as-is. I used to fret so much about clean lenses until twenty years later I found that a little dust made no difference. It was a truly liberating realization.

seandavid
21-Nov-2016, 14:44
Thanks, all. This is easing my mind as I'd way rather keep it over sending it back. I'm still waiting for a lens board, so I won't be able to test it for a week or two, but I will rest easy now.

Thanks again!

faberryman
21-Nov-2016, 17:20
Even though it won't affect the image, if you ever try to sell it, it will be an issue.

seandavid
21-Nov-2016, 21:06
Even though it won't affect the image, if you ever try to sell it, it will be an issue.

Yep, that's a good point. Maybe a dumb question... Is there any way to get in there and clean out the dust?

Kevin Crisp
21-Nov-2016, 23:45
You've tried unscrewing the rear element and seeing if it is on the inside?