PDA

View Full Version : Is there any reason not to stack lensboard adapters?

williaty
17-Nov-2016, 12:27
I just took delivery of a Toyo 45GII that takes the big 158mm square lensboards. I'd like to use a smaller lensboard to make packing multiple lenses take up less space. Additionally, I hope to get a Shen Hao 6x17 camera before too long and those take the Linhoff Technika style boards. Seems to me that it makes the most sense to standardize on the Tech boards and use an adapter in the big Toyo. I've found a flat 158mm square to Tech adapter but not a recessed one. I have, however, found 158mm Toyo to recessed 110mm Toyo adapters and, of course, 110mm Toyo to Tech adapters. Is there any reason not to use the 158mm to 110mm recessed and stack the 110mm to Tech adapter on it for the shortest lenses?

Alan Gales
17-Nov-2016, 13:13
Why not just use one of these? It goes from 158mm to Technika size.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=61107&gclid=COXl773MsNACFYM2gQodkYUOMw&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C92051678042%2C&Q=&A=details

As far as stacking adapters, I don't think it would hurt anything. It would be more "fiddly" though.

Corran
17-Nov-2016, 13:31
I stack adapters and haven't had a problem.

But Alan is right - the recessed Toyo 158 -> Technika adapter is out there. I have one actually, bought it from KEH for $50. Just watch eBay or if you need it now get it new, I guess.

jnantz
17-Nov-2016, 13:32
its a fantastic idea ... i do it all the time.
i have a toyo that takes 110x110 lens boards
and i have a szabad that takes GVII size lens boards
and i have a speeder that takes the round speed-boards
and adapters for the szabad+toyo so i can use lenses on 3 things
and keep lenses on boards that take up the least amount of room.
i DO have a 110x110 recessed lens board, that i sometimes put a 65 on
but i leave it on the speed, and dont' bother with the top. with the adapters
it is only the thickness of the lens board and for normal lenses that don't require a whole lot
of bellows compression it doesnt' matter at all if you are adding 1/8" extra focus distance.
wide lenses ... it might make a difference...

williaty
17-Nov-2016, 13:42
Why not just use one of these? It goes from 158mm to Technika size.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=61107&gclid=COXl773MsNACFYM2gQodkYUOMw&is=REG&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C92051678042%2C&Q=&A=details

Well, mostly because I don't have $250 in the entire LF setup I have now so paying that much for just a lensboard would be hard to swallow! :lol:

Now that I know they exist, I'll just wait for one to come up used.

Alan Gales
17-Nov-2016, 13:51
Well, mostly because I don't have $250 in the entire LF setup I have now so paying that much for just a lensboard would be hard to swallow! :lol:

Now that I know they exist, I'll just wait for one to come up used.

Understandable. How about this one?

https://www.keh.com/shop/toyo-view-4x5-recess-adapt-linhof-tech-1.html

KEH is excellent to deal with. I've had great experience with them.

williaty
17-Nov-2016, 13:52
Ooo! If today's discount code works on that, I'll be having it. Thanks!

williaty
17-Nov-2016, 14:26
Damn, I mis-read the fine print. The sale was yesterday only.

Tin Can
17-Nov-2016, 16:40
Damn, I mis-read the fine print. The sale was yesterday only.

Got me a nice Pelican case at 30& off an already low used price.

Shipping $5, arrives tomorrow and they want a signature...

LabRat
17-Nov-2016, 18:53
Recent topic here;

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?52-Interchange-lens-between-large-format-cameras

My take on adapters is in post #17 (for normal FL's)... Get or make an adapter that does not change the position where the lens sits much, or it can make combining tilts & swings + focusing screwy...

Steve K

williaty
17-Nov-2016, 20:28
Oh, yeah, that sucks. I just realized that a standard Copal 0 Tech lensboard has the hole offset downwards. That means the axial tilt isn't going to be axial anymore. DOH!

Alan Gales
17-Nov-2016, 22:44
Oh, yeah, that sucks. I just realized that a standard Copal 0 Tech lensboard has the hole offset downwards. That means the axial tilt isn't going to be axial anymore. DOH!

Just buy the generic Technika style boards like these which don't have any offset.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=2_22_95&product_id=129

williaty
17-Nov-2016, 22:45
Since they don't show the back, do you know if they have the little ground areas and the light trap/baffle thing Linhof boards do?

Alan Gales
17-Nov-2016, 22:57
Since they don't show the back, do you know if they have the little ground areas and the light trap/baffle thing Linhof boards do?

I know that they did. I have a few which I bought from Badger Graphics several years ago and some which I purchased from Ebay. Of course Shen Hao probably has someone else make the boards and suppliers may change. Call Badger Graphics before purchasing and ask them. They are a great company to deal with.

Alan Gales
17-Nov-2016, 23:12
If I owned a Linhof Technika I would use Linhof's boards. A lot of the generic boards (maybe all) will not work on a Technika. For adapter boards, most of the generic boards work just fine. I have an adapter board on my Wehman 8X10 so I can use the Technika style boards and it works great.

I have read that there are cheap Technika style boards out there that don't work so well on anything.

Doremus Scudder
18-Nov-2016, 01:32
You do know that there are recessed Technika boards, don't you? Just use your flat adapter and a recessed Technika-style board and you'll be good to go. Plus, they'll work on your Shen Hao too.

And, get center-drilled boards if your adapter doesn't center the offset hole on the Technika boards. But check this first; many adapters compensate for the offset, at least my Sinar-Technika adapter does.

Best,

Doremus