PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss F Field - 110 Bellows Issue

dodphotography
16-Nov-2016, 23:19
I've recently acquired a second hand AS F Field 110/141 configuration.

Upon assembling the camera I've run into a snag. It seems that the front standard / bellows frame doesn't marry as it should in all the corners. If viewing the camera from behind the GG, the upper left corner doesn't sit flush and the bellows frame pops up if pressure if applied from within. Also, a simple bit of pressure from a pencil shows the play that exists. The other corners are completely solid and have no play.

This may not cause any issues in the field but I don't want to take any chances of a light leak.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodphotography
16-Nov-2016, 23:21
I've attempted to upload a video showing the play
https://vimeo.com/191921734

neil poulsen
17-Nov-2016, 06:25
I don't have tape talk, so I'm unable to play the video.

Pfsor
17-Nov-2016, 07:30
Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Dan

I had a similar situation on my AS with 110 bellows frame. Did not leak light but was worrying. I wouldn't tempt it as you do on the video (I can see it without Tapatalk). I remember that I inspected the closing spring, cleaned it and left it. It seems to me the spring closure is perhaps a little bit weak. Check if your frame is not bent.

dodphotography
17-Nov-2016, 08:20
Built a Small shim out of double sided tape, works. No more play but a tad annoying that a rig this precise needed that dirtball repair

dodphotography
17-Nov-2016, 08:23
I had a similar situation on my AS with 110 bellows frame. Did not leak light but was worrying. I wouldn't tempt it as you do on the video (I can see it without Tapatalk). I remember that I inspected the closing spring, cleaned it and left it. It seems to me the spring closure is perhaps a little bit weak. Check if your frame is not bent.

I built a dirtball shim out of double sided tape, it works. A tad annoying a camera this precise needs a fix like that.

Pfsor
17-Nov-2016, 08:24
I agree, it is constructional weakness in the design, the frame would need 2 points of support to hold correctly. Your solution is correct as would be some external tweezers to hold it.

Alan9940
17-Nov-2016, 11:16
Hey Dan,

Just checked my AS this morning and mine does the same thing as yours, albeit not as bad as yours. I've never noticed any light leaks with my camera but, then again, I usually have the dark cloth draped over the camera during exposure, if there's not a lot of wind. I'll keep your solution in mind, if it becomes an issue, but I agree that the fit of all parts on the "Leica" of LF should be better.

Mark Darragh
18-Nov-2016, 22:25
Daniel Hello,
I had a similar experience when I obtained a secondhand front standard with orbix for my 110-171 Field. The 3 bellows I have for the camera all fit perfectly on the original front standard but the leather wide angle bellows did not sit flush in the upper left corner. My solution is to use a small plastic clamp. It is a minor annoyance though.

Pfsor
18-Nov-2016, 23:53
Hello Mark,
just to tell you that you don't need such an ugly solution to this problem. Take a small piece of plastic tubing (a diameter slightly larger than the thickness of the front standard) cut out a piece of it along its side, large enough to clamp the front standard and use it to clamp the bellows frame to the front standard. It's much more elegant than the whole clamp you use. Cheers!

Mark Darragh
19-Nov-2016, 02:33
Thanks for the suggestion, although the clamp is no where near as ugly as what is under the dark-cloth!

Pfsor
19-Nov-2016, 06:18
Thanks for the suggestion, although the clamp is no where near as ugly as what is under the dark-cloth!

That's what the dark-cloth is for, isn't it?!