PDA

View Full Version : HC-110 in Jobo

docw
14-Nov-2016, 22:18
I am trying to establish development times for FP4 in my Jobo ATL-3. I am using HC-110 and I am having trouble getting any N minus development. Even with dilution E, the Normal development time is 4'45", which is getting a little brief. I have read that times less than 5' in a Jobo are not recommended, and Kodak seems to be a little vague on whether dilution F is suitable for a rotary processor.

Have any of you encountered this problem? Do any of you use dilution F in a Jobo? Do you develop for very short times (under 5')?

I may have asked versions of this question before.

Bruce Watson
15-Nov-2016, 07:30
Have any of you encountered this problem? Do any of you use dilution F in a Jobo? Do you develop for very short times (under 5')?

Oh yeah. I pushed all the way out to dilution H for a while using a CPP2 and 3010 tank. Feh.

The problem with HC110 is that it's a very active developer. It just doesn't like continuous agitation very much. Control is limited; you can max out dilution and minimize rotational speed, and that's about it. I could not come up with a cure for the problems of HC110 in my system, so switched developers.

I found I got much better control (and therefore, much better results) with XTOL. XTOL is designed for continuous rotary agitation. I've used 1:3 a fair amount, but currently think 1:1 is the "sweet spot" for use in a Jobo.

Jim Noel
15-Nov-2016, 08:20
I have used HC 110 at up to 1+100 dilution with success in my Jobo.

Ari
15-Nov-2016, 10:58
I use dilution H in my 3010/3005 and always get great results, except when I screw up.
I shoot mostly FP4 and HP5, but I also shoot quite a bit of Acros and some oddball film.
Development times are mostly from 7.5 minutes to 9 minutes, one is 10.5 minutes. None are under 7.5 minutes.
No problems to report.

Drew Wiley
15-Nov-2016, 16:51
Jobos are awfully revved up anyway, even at their lowest speed setting. Some people displace the air with inert argon gas prior to development. Makes more sense
just to switch to a developer more compatible with rotary development. But HC-110 is remarkable in how well it still performs at considerable dilution. Just depends on how "minus" you want to get. I know how to get the combination of FP4 and HC-110 WAY down there, but not with rotary agitation!