PDA

View Full Version : What filter system size??

Bob Bicknell
11-May-2005, 09:53
I'm get back into large format photography after a 20 year break. I'm presently in the process of collecting pieces for a 4x5 kit. My plan for lenses are probably a 90, 210 and something >300mm. I already have acquired a 210mm Symmar-S and have been looking at 90mm Angulons, Super Angulons and Fuji's. My question is what filter size/system should I chose that would be suitable for these lenses. The two choices that I see most often mentioned are filters compatible with the cokin p-series or 4"x4". The trade-off seem to be the p-series are smaller/cheaper and the 4"x4" are larger and less likely to vignett. Does anyone know if the p-series filters can be used on a 90mm without problems, or should I just spend the money upfront for the 4"x4'. Also does anyone have any inforomation on the cokin z-pro system?

Thanks

Bob

Steve Lewis
11-May-2005, 10:19
Hi Bob

I would go with a 4"x4" (or bigger) system. It gives you more options both now and in the future. In addition, it's been my experience that the Cokin 'P' series filters, especially the graduated neutral density filters, are poor quality. i.e. they produce unwanted colour casts. HTH.

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

Benoit Vollmer
11-May-2005, 10:42
Hello,

I think you could buy a Cokin P system holder, which is really cheap. As the Cokin filters are often of poor quality, you can use Hitech 85mm filters. They seem to be similar to the Lee, but quite cheaper.

You can find them at B&H, or there is a cheap retailer in UK:

http://www.formatt.co.uk/home/default.asp

That's where I bought mine, service is perfect and they ship fast.

Benoit

Herb Cunningham
11-May-2005, 13:57
I think Lee is pretty good. If you plan any really wide angle shots, get the wide angle holder with two slots to begin with.

I f your budget is really tight, Lee makes a budget holder which is essentially a folding door with a big rubber band to grip the lens.

I would go with the 4x4, because you can slide ND graduated filters up and down to adjust the holdback of a really bright area.

Bill McMannis
11-May-2005, 15:46
Bob: I used Cokin P filters for eight or so years. I started building my kit when I was shooting 35mm and 645. I still have the kit with a couple dozen Cokin filters and yes, the Hitech filters are superior.

When I moved to large format a few years back, the Cokin was okay up to a point. When I was using f8 lens, I managed to get back with the Cokin. As I upgraded my lenses to f5.6, the Cokin would not give the coverage on the front element, nor were there adaptor rings to fit the lens.

I moved to Lee's 4x4 filters and I am very happy with the results. They fit easily into my compendium shade, so the holder is not an issue.

bob woitaszewski
13-May-2005, 16:16
Bob,
I had Cokin, bad news. I have Lee ND grads w an 82 mm ring. Works fine. Just make sure that You check for room if you have a Folding camera.

Several folks here use Singh-Ray ND Grads. If U have the budget

Eric Leppanen
13-May-2005, 20:56
Bob,

Keep things simple, eliminate all potential vignetting issues by going 4x4" and don't look back. There are plenty of high quality 4x4" filter suppliers available (Lee, Hitech, Singh-Ray). Used Lee filters and holders show up fairly regularly on Ebay, if cost is an issue.

I am not familiar with a Colkin z-pro system. There is a Colkin X-Pro system, which uses ultra large filters (130x170mm) and is overkill for most LF systems.